Memorable Moments In Your Kenpo Training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are some of your most memorable moments that you've had during your time in the art?

For me there were a few. The first was my 1st degree test. While reaching Black Belt is just scratching the surface of the art, it is still an important milestone.

The next was becoming an instructor. Having the chance to teach new people about the art was certainly a great feeling.

Anyone else?

Mike

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many...like you Mike, the first black was very memorable, as were the black belt tests of friends. It's an awesome thing to be a part of! I also really enjoyed training with and spending a little time with Mr. LaBounty. I really respect him. He is an amazing man, and his stories are so cool. I admire his commitment to Kenpo and his generosity in sharing his knowledge. He can definitely move! I had a mind blowing private lesson with him that makes me wish he lived closer! I've also had the pleasure of visiting Kenny Gonzalez at his school in Tampa Florida. His depth of knowledge is so diverse and his creative ability is enviable. He offers a lot to the Kenpo world! My Kenpo is much improved as a result of the training I've done with him and his students. Spending time with Ed Parker Jr was a highlight for sure. He taught me some very practical and effective skills. He is an extremely creative man! I really enjoyed his stories and he shared with me some of his father's drawings from the formation of the original Infinite Insights book. I got a tiny glimpse of the creative genius of Mr. Parker. The sketches were so elaborate. There must have been hundreds of precise thin lines connecting all kinds of Kenpo thoughts that he sketched out on paper, and his original drawings were fantastic! I understood a little more as to why Kenpo is such a thoughtful art. I'll always remember that :asian: ...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Seminars with Mr. Conatser.
Meeting MT members in person.
The 10 days spent with our I.K.K.O. Kenpo Brother's and Sisters in Australia.
The IKC Tournament in Boston.

Just a few Big moments of the top of my list :)

And the many daily ones training.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:

Oh hee he I lost my first post, but had that in there...The Boston Internationals! Tess I think I saw you do a form there! How cool is that? You were great! :jedi1: :partyon:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every belt. Especially brown, given that it took a little over a year to get there from green. Earning my instructor's belt would come next. Teaching others is a kick and it has definitely improved my understanding of my own material and kenpo in general.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Oh hee he I lost my first post, but had that in there...The Boston Internationals! Tess I think I saw you do a form there! How cool is that? You were great! :jedi1: :partyon:

Hardly MJ~!! But thanks :D

I had a case of stage fright but muddled through and finished .. that was my aim and I succeeded in that :)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:

I had a case of stage fright but muddled through and finished .. that was my aim and I succeeded in that :)
You are far braver than I am! :asian: I watched and really enjoyed the seminars. They were memorable too! I taped a lot of it...one day I'll have to dig it up and see if you are on the tape.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Getting hit by Mr. Pick.
I can't imagine getting hit by Mr. Pick. Between two seminar sessions in Colorado a couple years ago, Mr. Pick showed me something -- he tapped my upper rib cage once with a two knuckles and it knocked the wind out of me. I can only imagine how bad it would hurt to be hit by him.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I can't imagine getting hit by Mr. Pick. Between two seminar sessions in Colorado a couple years ago, Mr. Pick showed me something -- he tapped my upper rib cage once with a two knuckles and it knocked the wind out of me. I can only imagine how bad it would hurt to be hit by him.

That is the lung meridian. It is nasty, I love that move. Of course when you have people Like Mr. Bunfiglio standing there saying stuff like I don't think I got that Mr. Pick can you show me again on Rick? It isn't any fun. Ah yes it is.

V/R

Rick

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One that immediately springs to mind is getting nailed by a front kick to the ribs whilst dummying for Mr Downey from Ireland when he was demonstrating thrusting salute... (A couple of bruised ribs and a few minutes sat on my backside trying to breath)
Or getting KO'ed by Doc earlier this year at a seminar in England...
Great stuff, "Welcome to the house of pain..."

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
* Beating someone in O.E.Simon's lineage who doubted the functionality of what I practiced, with one of the techniques that he didn't approve of.

* Getting armbarred by a Scarborough Community Center judoka in a friendly corss-school match.

* Hospital trips: To treat my separated ankle; to help someone who was stabbed in a live blade exercise; to help someone who was knocked out by a jo during a weapons exercise; to help someone who broke his hand attempting to sneak up on our teacher; to help someone who had their shoulder dislocated; to help someone who recieved a spinal fracture recover.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First belt test.

First Tourny, was yellow and scarred :)

Meeting Mr. Sepulveda, twice. Uki the second time!

Training with Mr. Phillips and learning staff from his daughter, 7 of 9.

Quiting smoking.

Southwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine was trying out and making, "The Canadian Kenpo Team" then going to LTKKA Vegas camp this summer and doing our demo [I was so nervous]. Meeting Mr.Tatum and Clyde and all the gang was great. Also being selected as under belt of the month for sportkaratecanada.com for the month of June/ 05, plus all belt tests and tournaments [win or lose] have special memories.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hm...

I have several favorite moments from my Kenpo training...here's a couple that stand out:

*Meeting SGM Sullivan & GM Le Roux in person*

*Meeting Dr. Chapel in person*

*Getting tapped on the cheek by Dr. Chapel*

*Watching my buddy get tapped on the cheek by Dr. Chapel and trying not to laugh while my buddy was trying to figure out how to re-establish the mind-body connection 20 minutes later*

*Meeting Edmund Parker*

*Private Lessons with GM Le Roux*

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:

Hi Folks!
Dear Tess,
It was nice meeting the "lady behind the legend" and seeing you folks compete at the 2003 IKC!
although i'm sure meeting me was not "earthshattering" LOL!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:

Hey MJ,
Did I meet you there too?
just asking,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:

I know the feeling,Tess!
I attended the seminars the day before and apparently had cracked a rib at the knife fighting seminar the day before and as i was doing a nunchaku form I feel my rib crack! I had already competed in chinese forms against Jon Brandt and others and after weapons had to literally run to the Black Belt division to do forms and as I'm doing "bow to buddah" I slam my hand into my palm and feel my rib break! I was just glad to finish!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!

I would have to say the first time I met Grandmaster Kuoha (Kara-Ho Kempo). This was when my instructor (and many of us students) were transitioning from a "commercial" Kempo chain into the Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate organization back in 1992-'93

Grandmaster Kuoha gave a seminar/demonstration at our school and was showing us KI principles and I was astounded how powerful it all was. I volunteered as Uke and was made an instant believer!

The second would be traveling to our schools in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho with Grandmaster. Taking a road trip with he and his family and being able to pick his brain and hear stories about training with Professor Chow... Priceless!

Just my .02

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
Hey MJ,
Did I meet you there too?
just asking,
KENPOJOE
:lookie: Oh... you'd remember if you did! :boing2: Did you compete? What in? I was a brown belt at the time and took all the great seminars, I am not into competition for myself (unless there's money on the line :uhyeah: ) but they were most fun to watch...

Latest Discussions