Basics & Techniques

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
OK but I hate to do experiments because its been my experience on forums that few will give reasonable feedback, if they are doing them. - or they alter them to their own specifications and declare "It doesn't work." Absent personal supervision, sometimes these things can be difficult to replicate for those that don't want them to. Maybe that's why they don't respond. of course I know you are not one of those.

1) Step into a horse stance, feel parallel. Have someone check from the rear. Typically most think their feet are parallel when they are not. (Its a PNF thing)

2) Extend your arms out to the side palms facing forward.

3) Swing your arms extended forward, shoulder width apart, palms facing each other.

4) Have someone push inward on your arms to force your palms together. Feel your strength.

They should not be able to push them together without great effort over time.

Disengage the Resistance

1) Repeat above - but now point one finger on either hand toward your opposite hand.

2) Repeat the pressure test.

BOTH arms should collapse together unable to maintain structure. In fact the structure of your entire body has changed and you should be easily moved out of your stance, and your ability to breathe deeply is restricted because you moved the position of one finger.

Everyone sings the praises of the importance of 'basics.' No one argues their importance, but few understand the anatomical methodology that must be inherent in all efficient human movement. Few have the knowledge and "Basics" is just a word to cover what most don't know. Everything you do must be meticulously explained as to the 'how' of execution. Most teach what they 'saw,' and attempt to mimic their teacher. Mimic instruction cannot yield proper execution, because you can't do that which you cannot recognize and have no knowledge. That's why video study is beyond ridiculous. I can perform a simple move standing in front of you, and if I don't break it down physically, AND meticulously explain its execution, AND correct you over and over again. - You'll never 'get it.' Everyone can move, few can move properly, and even fewer can teach you how to move.
I know this won't surprise you but it works.

Thanks that was fun.

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Exactly, thus my comment about the ridulcousness of video study. Even looking at the best 'master' on video will not reveal what he is doing. Your observations are limited by your lack of knowledge, at best. To understand in martial context is to have knowledge of the physical dynamics of human interaction. No small feat.
"The key to structural integrity in human anatomy is resistence." - Ron Chapél
I agree that video study can only work on the most basic of motion, but i would like to suggest that video still has a place as a memory refresher to those studying with good instructors as a memory jog. Now when I look at the old video of Mr. Parker I can see him perform a Pam. That doesn't teach me how and when to do one but it sure tells me I need to seek that information.

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This discussion of basics and subtleties just now made me think of an informal Chi Na seminar I had the honor to take part in at Gil Hibben's House 4 or 5 years ago. I wasn't ready for the information but had the privilege of being manipulated as the demo dummy. The thing that was clear to me is the instructor manipulated me with less effort and with subtle little changes in alignment. Oddly enough when he manipulated me there was pain but it was not the chief reason I assumed the poses he chose to put me in. I could resist much of what the others did trying to repeat his actions because I could briefly ignore the pain. When the Chi Na instructor made small movements I moved even before I knew I was going to.

Sorry about the brief digression,

Jeff

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
"The key to structural integrity in human anatomy is resistence." - Ron Chapél

Seems if you destroy, interupt or "Take Away" that resistance the structural integrity just might fail?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems if you destroy, interupt or "Take Away" that resistance the structural integrity just might fail?

Because the human body evolved under the constant weight of specific gravity, its muscles, soft connecting tissue, and skeletal structure are reliant on this resistance to create a unified, solid structure of anatomical congruency.

This why when astronauts stay in a weightless environment, or persons are bed ridden for an extended period of time, their load bearing muscles begin to atrophy from lack of active resistance.

From a dynamic human interaction perspective, the achievement of structural integrity requires an understanding of martial postures that are very specific. Additionally, the human machine is capable of creating its own internal resistance and structural integrity singularly, and/or may also draw resistance from an active and aggressive adversary or external force.

The significance here is that once established positively, it is not easily overcome. Conversely, with the knowledge of how to destabilize, neutralize, and establish a negative martial posture in another, they will be incapable of establishing structural integrity by the application of that same resistance until such time as they are capable of disengagement.

Although these methodologies are rather easily taught, their complexities go well beyond the simplistic question because,

“In a true science, the answer is always, it depends.” – Ron Chapél