Xue!
Happy New Year, brother.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all.

And happy last year of this decade to all.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all.

And happy last year of this decade to all.

It surprises me how many people think 2020 is a new decade. But there is no year zero. So 2021 is the new decade.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It surprises me how many people think 2020 is a new decade. But there is no year zero. So 2021 is the new decade.
Mathematically true, but we functionally refer to decades by the 10’s position. So, the “roaring 20’s” started in 1920.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mathematically true, but we functionally refer to decades by the 10’s position. So, the “roaring 20’s” started in 1920.
Yes it still confuses me haha... as I can see it both ways and how both sort of work.

Technically the start of the decade would be 2021, 1 being the first year.

BUT the first year we could class as FROM 0 to 1, and seen as more of a range (from 0 to 1 is the first length of the year). Ugh... I dunno!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if you look at it in hex or base it is 0-9. This has always made more sense to me since it begins at..... well the beginning.

I hope everyone had a great start to 2020.

We had a looong startup through this last week on a new processing line. Finished up about 8:00 this morning with about 260 manhours in 6 days. It is a very cool dual arm robotic system that mimics human hand manipulation of small formed parts. The rate speed requirement was surpassed on the first day. We had to add several lines of code to overcome some scan time issues and accommodate bend/metal errors in the formed part for placement/accuracy.
In terms of automation, we are still a very long way from being able to 'see' things the way the human eye does.
As always, repeatability is the biggest challenge.

I love my work but man, I am tired.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent much of the last two days helping my mom move. Need to get back out there and help some more. They kept way too much stuff from the big house.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened to me a week or so ago. I was in NYC with julianna, and we decided to stay away from the tourist areas to avoid people,. We were looking for a good food place before heading to the subway to go home, and ended up walking down an alley (one of many). Typical alley, some people walking around, past by a few food places and a few bars, no one was outside crazy drunk, everyone seemed to be minding their own business. For whatever reason I got paranoid walking down, took my hands out of my pocket (it was cold) and super vigilant of the people in the alley, while also having us quickly leave the alley. While doing it, I knew I was being ridiculous...I've got a habit of getting paranoid sometimes when I feel something is "off". While mentally berating myself for my paranoia, behind me I hear a commotion. Didn't stick around to find out what happened but looked and saw that one of the people was attacking (or defending against?) another one with a knife.

Nothing overly eventful or fun, but a good reminder that if I'm suspicious, for whatever reason, to trust it...I'd rather be paranoid and avoiding streets/people for no real reason then get stabbed by one of those people.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if you look at it in hex or base it is 0-9. This has always made more sense to me since it begins at..... well the beginning.

I hope everyone had a great start to 2020.

We had a looong startup through this last week on a new processing line. Finished up about 8:00 this morning with about 260 manhours in 6 days. It is a very cool dual arm robotic system that mimics human hand manipulation of small formed parts. The rate speed requirement was surpassed on the first day. We had to add several lines of code to overcome some scan time issues and accommodate bend/metal errors in the formed part for placement/accuracy.
In terms of automation, we are still a very long way from being able to 'see' things the way the human eye does.
As always, repeatability is the biggest challenge.

I love my work but man, I am tired.
Epic! Well done!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened to me a week or so ago. I was in NYC with julianna, and we decided to stay away from the tourist areas to avoid people,. We were looking for a good food place before heading to the subway to go home, and ended up walking down an alley (one of many). Typical alley, some people walking around, past by a few food places and a few bars, no one was outside crazy drunk, everyone seemed to be minding their own business. For whatever reason I got paranoid walking down, took my hands out of my pocket (it was cold) and super vigilant of the people in the alley, while also having us quickly leave the alley. While doing it, I knew I was being ridiculous...I've got a habit of getting paranoid sometimes when I feel something is "off". While mentally berating myself for my paranoia, behind me I hear a commotion. Didn't stick around to find out what happened but looked and saw that one of the people was attacking (or defending against?) another one with a knife.

Nothing overly eventful or fun, but a good reminder that if I'm suspicious, for whatever reason, to trust it...I'd rather be paranoid and avoiding streets/people for no real reason then get stabbed by one of those people.
Yep, it's very wise to trust that feeling, good call attending to yours.

And yeah that's the thing, can be tough to differentiate when it's just paranoia within ourselves or a genuine intuitive understanding that we need to leave here immediately.

Sometimes I'm slammed with an energy of really bad vibes in certain places, prior to any judgement that I've made. I just leave, and most often it was a good call.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've got 5 weeks off work (it's closed over xmas time) so what am I doing with it? Not much! [emoji14]

Much needed time away from that place... honestly last year started out really beautifully. So many blessings, and then it all turned to crap... the workplace I thought was a safe, loving and accepting place turned into its opposite... with lies, deception, manipulation and control. No longer trust nor respect my boss... so this time off is much needed, for many of us who are severely hurting.

Don't know where to go from here, but will definitely be leaving. Many things learned, many strengths realised, and many things to leave behind. Trust has seriously been shaken... so I need to rebuild that after so long of already working on it. Just learning to not be naive, and to look out for the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Will be going on a holiday next week with the parents so that will (hopefully XD ) be nice.

So today I'm drinking some coffee I roasted! An Ethiopian Sidamo Kilenso natural.

.... boy oh boy... even opening the bag was an absolute delight... Florals and berry aromas abound!

The extraction through the naked portafilter was one of the best I'd ever seen... and it tasted delightful! It still surprised me though, I expected to be smacked in the face with flavour but it was actually alot more held back!

Very subtle and not overpowering, light smooth body, clean, floral, blueberries, little spicy kick... was a real treat.

Cheers! *clinks cup*
b5f5793a2f68b4b0ee2e7cddc34025a8.jpg
1c20d938870caf866bf3e7f2a616f678.jpg
8b7443909e883d7a797ae016b338ce98.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My brother, slap yourself upside of the head for walking down an alley in New York City.

But if you want to do it again, let me know, my partner at work was a NYC cop for the last 25 years and he'll let me/you know what alleys to stay away from. My guess would be, oh, I don't know...all of them?

I'm going to wait for the sound of the slap now. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention........

Xmas day..... for our brekkie........

Much bacon was consumed.

Just wanted an excuse to say bacon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pattern recognition is always fuzzy. It’s tough to differentiate true false positives from correct recognition that simply didn’t escalate.
Good awareness.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My brother, slap yourself upside of the head for walking down an alley in New York City.

But if you want to do it again, let me know, my partner at work was a NYC cop for the last 25 years and he'll let me/you know what alleys to stay away from. My guess would be, oh, I don't know...all of them?

I'm going to wait for the sound of the slap now. :)
I'm fairly certain all of them is the right answer. Three things in my defense though.
1) Julianna didn't live in the best part of Jersey City, so she's used to it.
2) I really really hate dealing with all the tourists there in december.
3) That's where the good food is!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wowza..... the bushfires situation here in Aus has reached some seriously dangerous levels... I don't remember ever seeing it this bad..... we're talking tens of thousands of people evacuating, apparently at least 449 homes have been destroyed on the south coast since New Year’s Eve. Insane...

We're safe for the moment but it's touch and go at this stage, seems to be spreading like crazy, the strong winds are not helping...

Are you guys fairly safe up there @drop bear?
7f00782f622cd31a05fbec1f27d0e073.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions