Last night class....Recovery update.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wooooo Hoooo,

I tell you last nights TKD class was cool getting to watch the folks train. I got to help one of the little kids. I injured my knee this past Tuesday so that has set me back a bit. (Just when I was starting to heal better.)

Anyway, hapkido time came and it was only GM Hildebrand, James Williams (One of West hapkido's dans), and myself.

We went over the first ten wrist, first twenty clothes, and the first five cane. ( I used my personal oak curved handle one for the drill since I am walking with it.)

Of course I modified everything as necessary. There was only so much I can do considering I cant put but a few pounds of pressure at most on my left leg.

However, it was just so much fun, it helped me realize exactly what was optimal to do with my flat tire and such.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How'd you reinjure your knee? You be careful, d'you hear us?

Still, teaching is always a lot of fun for me, even after 15 years of it - I learn so much more teaching than I do practicing alone.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Still, teaching is always a lot of fun for me, even after 15 years of it - I learn so much more teaching than I do practicing alone.

What she said!:ultracool

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you all have seen how St. L got pelted hard with the snow and ice? Well, I hit a rough spot. My leg locked, I felt stuff that "Was" recovering tear. I of course hit the deck in all of 10 degree weather.

That was Tuesday, Wed. I went to the hospital and got a thicker ace wrap and put the brace back on. All is not lost though. I mean I wont really be able to anything major until our May tournament, and that is best effort.

I was told sometime around Christmas I will most likely be where I was at. The good news is that I am keeping my hips and hamstrings flexible. I am still doing a lot of ab work. I can, as mentioned do the hapkido hand stuff, at least modified......show the setup etc.

I am having a hapkido / tae kwon do party at my house tomorrow. At 11 our 4th dan and a couple of the fellas are coming over and we are going to work on convention stuff. I have been asked to help teach a knife flow drill.

I also have on vhs the UFC that happened on Superbowl weekend and the EliteXC that just happened on the 10th.

So no big deal. Thank you for all the concern you guys are showing, ya' all are the coolest. Hey by the way, I am in need of friends on the myspace.com. So if you guys could help me out please?

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey matt, sorry to hear about your leg, that's gotta be sore!

Oh you are welcome to add me on Myspace... I'm at myspace.com/shaderon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well glad you got some training in and it is always better to teach if that is all you can do at this point of recovery, hang in there you will be back to training real fast

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yeah, what Kacey said!!! I had started a different response but had to stop when I started sounding like a father:rolleyes:

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Careful Matt I don't want to have to start teaching wheelchair lessons.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ya ' don't need to be out playing on the ice........:uhyeah:

Take extra, extra care with this weather.......:uhohh:

Don't you make me come up there........:whip: :rofl:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
NO re-injuries allowed, Matt!

Take it easy or else! (couldn't come with a specific threat... just imagine something horrible that doesn't affect your knees ;))

Seriously, glad to hear you are getting to do some training, but

TAKE IT EASY on dem knees!!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it's sickening to feel a healing joint get re- injured, even if it's minor. This time of year, remember to take slow, baby steps on the ice. You only have a pair of knees, and obviously you love to train, so take it easy until your doc says you're 100% again.

mcantele

White Belt
Reaction score
Matt, I have been nursing a case of achilles tendonitis for about 9 months. You don't want any part of that. I went from playing ice hockey to tkd not considering the changed muscle groups. I am finding the tkd training to be an excellent work out and great fun, but am forced to work around my injury. I have tested twice when my injury eased up, and expect to continue. I also have been in a cast and crutches for three weeks, with a cortisone shot. I approach my training as an excersize program with a twist and am enjoying it very much.
Back to your issue. I think good advice may be to give that knee a little time to heal before you shock it with any jumping or even snap kicking. If weight bearing is a real issue, lay off it completely. Good luck. You'll be back. Mike

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you were not reinjured too badly Matt.

I tell my students that they may never need their TKD training for defending themselves, but it is always good to know how to fall. Nak bup is so important.:)

Teaching can be fun too!

Miles

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing is, anyone can have a mishap on the ice. We had black ice in Columbus over the past couple of days that was (i) so thin you could see pavement clearly and transparently through it, so that even walking on the street you couldn't see the ice at all, and (ii) virtually frictionless.I was in more than one place where, standing stock-still, I would start sliding in the direction of the steepest part of the sidewalk (they're never perfectly flat here...). You have to be extra-extra-careful—hospital workers have said it's the worst set of ice-related injuries they've seen in 20 years here—but it could happen to any of us...

... as vs. being a training injury thing due to recklessness, which Matt seems to be avoiding very well, being sensible about it even though it's probably crazy-making to be sitting watching people doing all this terrific stuff you'd like to do but aren't allowed to. Keep up the good attitude, guy, and your reward will be a return to the matt/dojang floor in record time. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go slow. Remember the rabbit and the turtle. Slow and steady won the race. I have a student that had knee surgery and he trained for two months in a chair. Now he is almost doing everything (two years later) Go slow and take your time and you will be back to yourself in no time!
icon14.gif

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do son mok soo and eui bok soo, cane and that is about it. I stand for all of 5-10 and sit for 15. I mean, it has been cool. Having the flat tire that i do has made my technique so much better.

thanks again everyone.