Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think its not Shenme Shenme for etc etc etc but Deng Deng Deng 等等
Niu means cow Rou means meat so thats why Niu rou made you remember beef I guess.

Wo zhi kai wanxiao le should be wo zhi shi zai kai wan xiao.

If you are happy living out in the wild then best of luck with it.

Well maybe it was slang or local phrase, my girlfriend from from Sichuan would often say it and you can often see Chinese saying "....something something", atleast the ones really new to English.

I use QQ so I got a lot of contact to Chinese, some of them speak no English at all.

Wo zhi shi kai wanxiao? Really? I need to fix my problems with grammar....
What about the "le"?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

[yt]
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N-isGzfYUZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you are serious about going to China to be a martial arts hermit here are 2 more idioms you might want to familiarize yourself with

hu&#257; quán xìu t&#468;i"
xìu hu&#257; zh&#466;u tóu

My Sanda Sifu loves saying these when my first and he are in the same room... he also likes calling him Da Shifu too

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really can't keep up with this.... what do you guys smoke?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
shenme shenme is a way of saying "etc." or "and so on"

nage dui shenme shenme = that dui ...etc...
was referring to the " Duì niú tán qìn "

something with niu, reminded me of niurou.

wo zhi kai wanxiao le...
was just kidding...

I'm a very spiritual person, if I was dedicated to a certain religion, I would be the type of person who spends their life in a monastery.

I feel better getting rid of all material things, as far as possible, and living a dedicated spiritual life.
I may or may not stay in a cave, that is not the most important part.
What is most important to me is a life closer to nature, free of materialistic influence, as much as possible, and dedicated to kungfu and self-development.
I picked China because I love living there, for many reasons.
I think that if you're really gung ho about this, then have at it. But I would strongly recommend that you consider talking to a counselor before doing so. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic or mean. Seriously. I'm sincere when I suggest to you that choosing to live the life of a hermit, a hobo or anything resembling homelessness when you have alternatives suggests that you would benefit from exploring WHY you want to do this.

I've worked with a lot of homeless people over the years, and regardless of what you might have heard it's not a romantic lifestyle. Choosing to live the life of a hermit... in a foreign country, no less, is significant, and it's likely that you aren't doing this for the reasons you might think. I would encourage you to talk to a professional counselor.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Along those lines, there's the old proverb:

Before enlightenment, there is chopping wood and drawing water.
After enlightenment, there is chopping wood and drawing water.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with steve.

I am a social worker and I have seen the difficult lives led by the homeless. Your thinking seems delusional to a degree, but obviously a person cannot get a full assessment on the internet.

Coincidently, hermits are solitary by nature. If you had a friend with you, you would simply be poor and living in a cave, which I'm sure the Chinese would not like.

What are you going to do for food? What if you get sick or injured? If you want to experience life as a homeless person at least do it in your own country first as I assume you understand your nations laws at least a little better than China's laws.

What exactly do you expect out of this lifestyle?

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with steve.

I am a social worker and I have seen the difficult lives led by the homeless. Your thinking seems delusional to a degree, but obviously a person cannot get a full assessment on the internet.

Coincidently, hermits are solitary by nature. If you had a friend with you, you would simply be poor and living in a cave, which I'm sure the Chinese would not like.

What are you going to do for food? What if you get sick or injured? If you want to experience life as a homeless person at least do it in your own country first as I assume you understand your nations laws at least a little better than China's laws.

What exactly do you expect out of this lifestyle?

Well basically what I am planning to do is to make a big step away from modern life style and towards living with nature.
I do not plan to completely separate myself from civilization, I simply want a life way closer to nature, with as few material holdings as possible.
Means I will be more or less near the village, able to walk in for food or opportunities to earn a little money, but far away enough to be surrounded by nature I can enjoy while practicing MA.

As for the difficulties, I am mostly concerned about wildlife and possible infections or injuries, no health insurance and maybe no doctor near either. But for me, MA not only means self defense, art and health, but also overcoming my own fears and surviving challenges.

Accepting the possibility to die any second is part of my MA philosophy, and lets be honest, no matter where you life, it could happen just about anywhere.

I am very aware of the severe conditions, especially in China.
People may wonder why I seem to make things so difficult for myself but that is part of my philosophy.
I spent most time of my life with learning and experiencing different cultures, philosophies and religions, as well as a really rough childhood which nearly killed me.
I have experienced both, the convenient life as well as the kind of life you better avoid if you plan to stay on this world, and I found the only way to be deeply satisfied for me is with a certain amount of poverty and distance to modern, shallow life style.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But yet you are on here in a very Modern way talking to all of us seeking what????? Our approval, respect, what? Most of us are most likely wondering if you shouldn't be getting some help for making a choice to be what most avoid. Just my 2c knock yourself out if this is what you really want to do.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you have wilderness survival experience?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At least leave yourself an emergency fund to get the hell out of there if you change your mind.

Overcoming the fear of death is one thing, but to intentionally put yourself into a situation that you know is dangerous does not sound like a good idea to me.

Do you have some kind of goal you plan to accomplish while pursuing this lifestyle?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Here is something to think about....water. Or just about any other foods you will get in a Chinese Village... you were not raised in China so you do not have any resistance to the little nasties that you will find in food and water as well as just crawling around, depending on what part of China you choose..... Sickness... it&#8217;s a given based on what you are talking about doing. Also depending on location it can get very VERY cold in parts of China in the winter.

Law and order...here is a bit of info for you... unlike many western countries where the countryside is safer that the city....China is the exact opposite. The countryside is by far less safe than the cities for foreigners. Getting any work...good luck with that one. No work visa, no work, picking up odd jobs to survive...good luck there too. You are a foreigner and yup they may have you do some stuff but getting paid is a whole other story. Getting paid anything that will support you is not going to happen if you have any plans on training MA since you will need to work close to 12 or more hours a day just to survive.

Now to this bit

But for me, MA not only means self defense, art and health, but also overcoming my own fears and surviving challenges.

My Taiji sifu and I have talked about this at great length. He is born and raised in China and was a high level student of Tung Ying Chieh. We were talking about why it seemed that a lot of these internal MAist died young if ICMA, especially Taijiquan was suppose to be for health...after much discussion and drawing on his rather extensive knowledge of Taiji history he came to the conclusion that a lot of these guys (see Yang Chengfu) did not believe they needed doctors because their CMA would keep them healthy...they all died young.

You want to live closer to nature&#8230; I suggest you start by trying it closer to home and learning a bit about survival before traipsing off to a foreign country and trying it

Now here is something you should read very carefully&#8230; StevenBJJ hit the nail directly, dead center, on the head here. You really need to talk to a counselor before doing any of this because at this point, based on what you are saying, your plan is very close to (if not completely) suicidal.

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
At least leave yourself an emergency fund to get the hell out of there if you change your mind.

Overcoming the fear of death is one thing, but to intentionally put yourself into a situation that you know is dangerous does not sound like a good idea to me.

Do you have some kind of goal you plan to accomplish while pursuing this lifestyle?

Getting back to the essence of life and things around me. Getting a meal made of ingredients that grew somewhere around me in the traditional way after 1 or 2 days without food is far more satisfaction for me than anything in the modern life style I live most of the time. No wonder people take drugs and get addicted to shallow internet games and a sex society.
Going as far as I plan to isn't something I'd recommend either but it is where I want to start over from.

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is something to think about....water. Or just about any other foods you will get in a Chinese Village... you were not raised in China so you do not have any resistance to the little nasties that you will find in food and water as well as just crawling around, depending on what part of China you choose..... Sickness... it’s a given based on what you are talking about doing. Also depending on location it can get very VERY cold in parts of China in the winter.

Law and order...here is a bit of info for you... unlike many western countries where the countryside is safer that the city....China is the exact opposite. The countryside is by far less safe than the cities for foreigners. Getting any work...good luck with that one. No work visa, no work, picking up odd jobs to survive...good luck there too. You are a foreigner and yup they may have you do some stuff but getting paid is a whole other story. Getting paid anything that will support you is not going to happen if you have any plans on training MA since you will need to work close to 12 or more hours a day just to survive.

Now to this bit

My Taiji sifu and I have talked about this at great length. He is born and raised in China and was a high level student of Tung Ying Chieh. We were talking about why it seemed that a lot of these internal MAist died young if ICMA, especially Taijiquan was suppose to be for health...after much discussion and drawing on his rather extensive knowledge of Taiji history he came to the conclusion that a lot of these guys (see Yang Chengfu) did not believe they needed doctors because their CMA would keep them healthy...they all died young.

You want to live closer to nature… I suggest you start by trying it closer to home and learning a bit about survival before traipsing off to a foreign country and trying it

Now here is something you should read very carefully… StevenBJJ hit the nail directly, dead center, on the head here. You really need to talk to a counselor before doing any of this because at this point, based on what you are saying, your plan is very close to (if not completely) suicidal.

Well I got some experience with different kinds of life in China, I know how to find my way around and I know how to get some cash/food/bed.

Why do some people feel the need to do certain things that seem unnecessarily dangerous?
I believe because it is part of a certain life style and perception of reality. I guess certain people put goals and life style above safety, and so do I.

I do hope you understand that I only answer all these questions on a forum to understand myself better as well, not to satisfy anyone else.
Maybe I have simply been through things in life that opened my eyes for the really important things in life, or maybe I just am suicidal, who knows.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Getting back to the essence of life and things around me. Getting a meal made of ingredients that grew somewhere around me in the traditional way after 1 or 2 days without food is far more satisfaction for me than anything in the modern life style I live most of the time. No wonder people take drugs and get addicted to shallow internet games and a sex society.
Going as far as I plan to isn't something I'd recommend either but it is where I want to start over from.

oh for crying out loud... you do miss the point a lot don't you

First read this its free

Then read this

Then this

And start over from where you are and stop looking for excuses outside yourself because all you are doing is going someplace else for a change of scenery to do exactly what you are already doing

And if you want to be closer to nature and looking for spirituality in China, after talking to a counselor maybe you should look to the Taoist temples there to see if they would allow you to go there to study, and I'm not talking Wudang.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I got some experience with different kinds of life in China, I know how to find my way around and I know how to get some cash/food/bed.

Why do some people feel the need to do certain things that seem unnecessarily dangerous?
I believe because it is part of a certain life style and perception of reality. I guess certain people put goals and life style above safety, and so do I.

I do hope you understand that I only answer all these questions on a forum to understand myself better as well, not to satisfy anyone else.
Maybe I have simply been through things in life that opened my eyes for the really important things in life, or maybe I just am suicidal, who knows.

Well I see I was right with my first response and therefore shall use it again here and respond no more other than to say

Duì niú tán qìn

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well basically what I am planning to do is to make a big step away from modern life style and towards living with nature.
I do not plan to completely separate myself from civilization, I simply want a life way closer to nature, with as few material holdings as possible.

give it a try whereever it is that you currently live. Get a tiny studio apartment. Sell the bed and buy an old surplus army cot. Cancel the cable television, throw away the TV and DVD player. Cancel the internet and throw away the computer. Cancel the electricity and use battery lamps or candles if it's safe. Throw away all of your clothes except for two sets. Keep one bowl, one plate, one cup, one set of utensils and use only those. Cancel the phone line, throw away your cell phone. Sell the car, sell the bike, throw away your shoes and wear only sandals. Sell all the furniture, keep one stool to sit on, sell all of your worldly possessions. Cancel the gasline. Wash your clothes by hand in a wash basin. Hire yourself out for odd jobs and minor day labor.

See how that works for you in an otherwise safe environment. You can do this at home, you don't need to go to China to do this but you are too myopic to see it.

I personally suspect you are in love with the romantic notion of this and you want to blather on the internet about it, but you are too chicken to try it for real. You are all just talk and no action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions