Kung Fu Suit Etiquette?

OP
E

ella_guru

White Belt
Reaction score
Aside from a few strange looks, is it "acceptable" to wear it in a normal setting then?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aside from a few strange looks, is it "acceptable" to wear it in a normal setting then?
By "normal setting", do you mean outside a Chinese Martial Arts training room? At Starbucks? At home? At a meditation retreat? In a room full of Chinese people or Westerners?

If I wore that to a Chinese banquet in Toronto, I'd look as if I were going to give a demo, if it were silk. Occasionally I wear a dark velvet-like jacket (no white cuffs) with dark dress slacks to a Chinese banquet, but only if I know the guests ... and sometimes it makes me look like a waiter. If I'm among people I don't know, I just wear a blazer, since that's what the Chinese men wear.

Are you worried about offending anyone? I don't think so. At worst, I think a Chinese person might think you were being rather odd, or trying too hard. It would be as if they showed up dressed as cowboys.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Are you worried about offending anyone? I don't think so. At worst, I think a Chinese person might think you were being rather odd, or trying too hard. It would be as if they showed up dressed as cowboys.

Yup that is about it.

When my wife sees people dressed in old style Chinese cloths out in a public setting, that are not giving some sort of MA demo, she is not offended at all but she does think the people look a bit silly.

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had a similar discussion to this on another forum. Honestly, go with whatever standard your school teaches.

However, keep in mind, there is a mindset of being 'professional' amongst teachers. Some really don't care if their students just wear what is comfortable, but the people who are teaching should look the part. If that includes wearing the outfit, so be it.

My school has just the standard 'loose clothing' rule unless giving a demonstration. Even then most of the time it's just black pants, flat soled shoes with a T-shirt that has my schools logo on it.

However my Sifu wears a red silk jacket with a Mandarin collar, and either white or black pants to most classes.

I know another instructor (of a different school) was told in no uncertain terms by his Master that since he was teaching, he -would- wear the outfit or he would close his school. It was about keeping up the appearances of something traditionally Chinese.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In our Yiquan class, some wear street clothes, some wear sweats. In one sense, the "street clothes" idea could be the most traditional: "come as you are". Sifu wears street clothes, looking a bit like an older fellow who runs a hardware store, because of his pocket protector. :D He's about 75, from Hong Kong, having studied Mizongyi at Jingwu under Ye Yu Ting and Yiquan separately under Han Xingyuan.

It makes sense to me that with more than ten or so students attending regularly, a master would want to establish a dress code to keep focus and order, but our classes are very small. To each his own.

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It makes sense to me that with more than ten or so students attending regularly, a master would want to establish a dress code to keep focus and order, but our classes are very small. To each his own.

That could be it too. Dress code with a vague seniority system can also help to differentiate which students should have more knowledge. That said, my class is also very small, I have no idea how large it is elsewhere (My Master holds classes in two very different parts of the city. I can't get to the other side regularly.) So he may have a different approach out that way. From what I've heard, the students out that way are a bit more uptight.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yes, the McDojo uniform?

You're right on target. My Si-dai is a great instructor and far superior to me in skill as he has chosen to make WC/WT/VT not just a hobby but his life and his livelihood as well. Teaching is his sole means of support. To that end he teaches "commercial-style", charging as much as the market will bear, with contracts, uniforms, "family plans", kiddie kung-fu programs, even birthday parties. Sounds like the "McDojo" approach to me. Except, he's really good and sells a quality "product". He genuinely cares about his students, and will make all sorts of accomodations to help students who have been with him a long time... so it's not just about the money. I wouldn't support him as I do if I thought he was just trying to make a buck.

Anyway, I think uniforms are important to building a successful commercial operation. When people come into a spacious, clean and well equiped kwoon where all the students are practicing hard and wearing a sharp looking uniform, it really presents a positive image. And when students put on a special uniform and insignia of rank, they feel special, like part of an elite group. It helps them identify with the school and style and, like dressing for a part in a play, it helps you get into "character" or the proper "mind-set" to practice. And of course, selling the uniforms does bring in a little extra cash too...

So why is it that I can't get my head straight and I keep on working out with a paltry few students dressed in sweats at a local park? Must be brain damage.
icon10.gif

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree... working out in sweats versus a uniform? respect vs. whatever......
oddly I perform better while in my" Kung Fu suit" yet, it while does add an element of esthetics to your drill.I love my sash,baggy pants,and my high black collar,will this enhance my martial skill? probably not...but it does build my confidence and connects me to "Chinese" tradition.Gotta say there is something about structure & discipline,as well as a sharp impression,uniform and attitude.my two cents.......