Kung Fu Suit Etiquette?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Wing chun or Kung Fu in general?

Wing Chun wise I have never ever worn this type of uniform. Most schools I know say t shirts, loose training trousers and trainers...or bare feet.

The only time I have ever worn that is when I did Northern Kung Fu when I was a kid and Tai Chi.

OP
E

ella_guru

White Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of Etiquette...

I asked what the name of it would be immediately after ,and garb is pretty fitting...

garb (gärb)n.1. A distinctive style or form of clothing; dress: clerical garb.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I may ...

Outside of the movies, I've only seen that sort of clothing worn for Tai Chi demos. For classes and sweaty physical contests, sweat pants and t-shirts seem to be the norm. Your school probably has its own guidelines on dress, no?

As for what it's called, I think it's a modern, stylized representation of the street clothing worn by Chinese people before adoption of the Mao suit, and the Western style of dress after that, so it really doesn't have a name. In my experience, the Chinese aren't as formal as the Japanese, so it doesn't have a name such as "gi".

However, if you Google "tai chi uniform", you'll see this kind of thing. If you Google "kung fu uniform", you'll see this or something with more obvious details, or gi-like uniforms similar to what Carradine wore in Kung Fu when fighting.

I have one of these, but have never had cause to wear it. I'd only wear it for a Tai Chi demo if the other demo artists were wearing similar clothing. It can be rather showy in my opinion (especially the silk ones), and to me, it also implies that the wearer is so good at fighting that he wouldn't damage such a formal-looking garment. Hence the demo-only usage. :)

(But to be sure, my Tai Chi looked so much better when I tried it on!)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my first school we trained in that type of gi, unless it's silk, I can't tell from the pic. Ours were cotton and upper ranks had the white cuffs while lower ranks had solid black. My second school was just gi pants and a t-shirt. So, it's basically just a kung fu training uniform.

From Tigerclaw, where I used to order mine.
With white cuffs.
Without white cuffs.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm just curious about what the etiquette about wearing this thing (what might the proper name be?) I've heard that this style of dress isn't always just for fighting. Can anyone shed some light on when this garb is to be worn, and if it's standard practice etc?

http://asianorientalclothes.com/pics/kung-fu-suit01.jpg

Traditionally speaking, you trained in what you wore on any given day, no uniform required. That is unless you were Wudang or Shaolin then, as far as I know, they had a standardized uniform but it was not the one you linked.

But with that said I have trained at two different Wing Chun schools and one had no uniform or belts and the other did and both had very good lineages and highly skilled teachers. However I have not seen a uniform at my first sifu's school (However there is now :rolleyes:) and there was no uniform at my second Xingyi sifu’s school and none of the Taiji sifus I have trained with have required a uniform, although one did have one for his regular students at his school.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's considered a kung fu uniform as much as it is just old style chinese clothing. It's basically a pair of pants with a light jacket with shirt or form of t-shirt worn underneath. At least that's what a close chinese friend and my sifu have told me. My friend used to tease about seeing people out in their pajamas when he saw people in this type kung fu uniform. Same thing when he saw someone in a japanese sytle gi.

I've had 2 Wing Chun sifus and neither one of them used this kind of clothing or uniform for class. My first sifu told us to wear something comfortable which allows us freedom of movement. My current sifu has a school uniform which consists of modern sweat pants (with school emblem silk screened) and a t-shirt type shirt (again silk screened school emblems) and a colored cord sash. Very modern in dress.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was allways taught that the "kung fu uniform" was simply their work clothes. when they came in from working, that is what they would train in.

I love how we take these things and make them into something they're not.
I guess if kung fu had developed in this country then everyone would be wearing 'Dickies' and calling that a kung fu uniform.

OP
E

ella_guru

White Belt
Reaction score
^I don't mean to do anything like that, but from the pictures in things I read about kung fu all the masters seem to be wearings this so I guess I sort of made the connection on my own.

Would it be in poor taste to wear such clothes?!

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm just curious about what the etiquette about wearing this thing (what might the proper name be?) I've heard that this style of dress isn't always just for fighting. Can anyone shed some light on when this garb is to be worn, and if it's standard practice etc?

As pointed out by Mograph and Zepe, this particular style of clothing has its place in the chines history ... very common.

Thank you Yak Sao. Because of general stereo typing form all those old cheezy kung fu movies, you could understand lots of people think that style or the long robe (aside from the shaolin or other kung fu style swear) to be an uniform item.

The older masters you see wearing the particular of clothing because it represent the era their are from, and the new ones...well...can you say marketing? Just like I'm still hold on to what's left of those rag-tag bell bottoms, not all wears them is an stoned out HIPPY.:uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
^I don't mean to do anything like that, but from the pictures in things I read about kung fu all the masters seem to be wearings this so I guess I sort of made the connection on my own.

Would it be in poor taste to wear such clothes?!

Are you talking about wearing them for training or wearing them in public?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading this some time ago, someone please correct me if I'm wrong......the reason you see Chinese masters performing demonstrations in silk "kung fu uniforms" is because that is the traditional equivalent of formal attire.
I think I'll wear a tux at my next demo.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally it wasn't a uniform, just clothes worn by Chinesee people in regular everyday life. The silk is more of a show off type thing. Even in China, silk garments aren't exactly something the normal peasant could afford. So it is a sign of prestige and success to have silk clothes.

We work out in sweats, kunf fu pants, gi pants, shorts etc, and a school t-shirt. If we're doing a seminar, judging a tournament, or another function which we are representing the school, we are expected to wear a "kung fu uniform" which is the normal black thing with red trim, 3/4 sleeves, and a screen print of the school's logo on the back.

I've trained at another school which the uniform was worn at all times, even normal training. To be honest, I don't know why this was required. It made even normal days super hot and didn't really advance the training in any appreciable way that I can think of.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey there,

I've heard kung-fu uniforms, including this style, referred to as a "saam". But basically, as others have noted, this is just a modern stylized version of traditional Chinese clothing. The difference is that the traditional Chinese clothing was probably much better made and more comfortable. For example, the jacket didn't have white cuffs, but rather was worn over a loose, white shirt with very long sleeves. When doing work or exercise, the white shirt sleeves could be folded back over the jacket creating the look of white cuffs. The cheesy, modern versions just have cotton cuffs sewn on.

In my Ving Tsun association, students wear loose fitting black "kung fu pants", kung-fu slippers and the assn. tee-shirt. Instructor's uniforms have red chevrons on the pants and an instructor's tee. Personally I prefer basketball shorts and a tee during the summer and sweats in the winter with tennis shoes for my feet.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ditto...we have a club shirt and the KF pants as well, but most everyone wears whatever they happen to have on that day, jeans shorts, sweats whatever.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was allways taught that the "kung fu uniform" was simply their work clothes. when they came in from working, that is what they would train in.

I love how we take these things and make them into something they're not.
I guess if kung fu had developed in this country then everyone would be wearing 'Dickies' and calling that a kung fu uniform.

I've seen these sold in martial arts stores as Chinese MA suits for as long as I can remember, so I don't think it is a generalisation. But maybe more applicable outside of the founding countries to represent how it was taught originally and respect to the history. Much like a Gi or a suit for wrestling for example..

Personally, since starting WC I've become a bit of a Chinese enthusiast.. learning the about it's history and the language, learning the language has been very insightful to understanding some aspects. The 'garb' appeals to me as well, at least for winter training. :)

Last edited:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've seen these sold in martial arts stores as Chinese MA suits for as long as I can remember, so I don't think it is a generalisation. But maybe more applicable outside of the founding countries to represent how it was taught originally and respect to the history. Much like a Gi or a suit for wrestling for example..

Personally, since starting WC I've become a bit of a Chinese enthusiast.. learning the about it's history and the language, learning the language has been very insightful to understanding some aspects. The 'garb' appeals to me as well, at least for winter training. :)

Common daily apparel style, not a thing to do with MA uniform, transitioned from the "long robe" to the shirt/jacket and before western style influence, with more fancier level of fabric and colors for formal occasions, such as various color of silk.

I'm of chines transplant, didn't just pulled this out of thin air.

Now I command you to look at more old kung fu movies for more brain washing ... uh, I mean, entertainment.:whip::p

Latest Discussions