Kung fu in MMA Wins

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, in real life, nothing is precise like demonstration. The distance is NOT constant as opponent moves around. If the target moves forward when you initiate the side kick, the kick lands before you get the full pivot and it will look like in the picture that the toe is higher than the keel. If you have enough distance to have full pivot, then you will easily see it is just a simple side kick to the knee.
You' would be surprise at how accurate you can be when dealing with moving components and changing distances. All combat sports have examples of well timed punches that are accurate and intentional. In comparison to what other's do. Landing a punch or kick where you want it is much easier.

Fairly consistent accuracy here.

I don't know of any sport that requires precision as much as basketball. No look passes must not only get to your team mate but it must be able to avoid capture or interference by other team mates. They not only calculate distance and speed from the same team they also calculate the movements from the other team.

Our brains are extremely amazing don't sell yours short. If you keep thinking that precision in fighting isn't possible then your fighting skills will suffer. If you don't think precision is possible then you should abandon martial arts because the only other side to precision is, randomly swing your arms and kick your legs and hope you hit something.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not if your opponent is as fast if not faster than you!!! You watch UFC fights? Their footwork and back and fore speed is incredible. It's easy if you have time to judge the target, you don't!!!

You can insist they have some secret kicks and you can insist that you can time it perfectly every time. All I can say is just a simple front leg side kick to the knee. This, I have experience, this is Tae Kwon Do that I had been in it for almost 3 years. We learn all those.

What you show are all COORDINATED moves, the basketball hoop is stationary. You practice and it's going to be the same every time. In UFC fights, everything is unpredictable. Look at their foot work, how fast they move around, forward-backward, side to side. They developed that kind of footwork no other MA has and it's amazing.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think what happened was a very unfortunate even. Normal if the people didn't step up, the side kick is not as damaging. It must be perfect timing one did the side kick to the knee, the other happened to step in for an attack, so the kick met the knee with speed combining both movement and break the knee.

I had it once to the ribs. During sparring, the guy did a step in side kick while I step in to punch, my ribs was open, moving forward and I got kicked. I couldn't even laugh for two weeks. He did not intend to even touch me, I stepped forward and met his leg full force.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is another video showing knee kicks in UFC. I don't know why it calls Wing Chun kicks. Yes, one is Wing Chun, I described in post #6 already, just a front step kick to the knee. The other one that is side kick to the knee is NOT Wing Chun. I learn some Wing Chun before, NEVER have I seen they using side kick to the knee. It's just simple TKD side kick.

If you listen to the commentator, they call that sidekick to the knee every time also.

This is what I called front leg (step in) side kick. The video called SKIPPING front leg side kick. This is what is being used to kick to the knee. Just a low step in(hop in) side kick:
You can see the side kicks of the guy sometimes have the toes higher than the heel. The girl always have the toe higher than the heel. Just happen when the hip does not turn enough and the pivot is not complete. it is common enough. Nobody is perfect, it's easy to talk only.

It's not too common to do back leg side kick now a days, way way too slow.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is another video showing knee kicks in UFC. I don't know why it calls Wing Chun kicks. Yes, one is Wing Chun, I described in post #6 already, just a front step kick to the knee. The other one that is side kick to the knee is NOT Wing Chun. I learn some Wing Chun before, NEVER have I seen they using side kick to the knee. It's just simple TKD side kick.

If you listen to the commentator, they call that sidekick to the knee every time also.

This is what I called front leg (step in) side kick. The video called SKIPPING front leg side kick. This is what is being used to kick to the knee. Just a low step in(hop in) side kick:
You can see the side kicks of the guy sometimes have the toes higher than the heel. The girl always have the toe higher than the heel. Just happen when the hip does not turn enough and the pivot is not complete. it is common enough. Nobody is perfect, it's easy to talk only.

It's not too common to do back leg side kick now a days, way way too slow.

People claim this as "Kung Fu" because deep down they realize that it's problematic that Kung fu is pretty much absent from MMA. Despite decades of believing otherwise, the MMA "fad" has yet to subside, and is slowly eating away at traditional martial arts.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People claim this as "Kung Fu" because deep down they realize that it's problematic that Kung fu is pretty much absent from MMA. Despite decades of believing otherwise, the MMA "fad" has yet to subside, and is slowly eating away at traditional martial arts.
Good morning Hanzou

I have to have the colonoscopy this morning and I have to get up this early to drink all the crap!!! :(

"Slowly eating away"?!! I think they almost disappeared in a few months?!! So far, the Wing Chun front step kick is the only thing of Kung Fu that is used that I can recognize. I am still waiting for one style that can make it to pay-per-view in MMA fights USING IT's OWN STYLE( not fight like MMA).

MMA, hands are all boxing, kicks are almost all Tae Kwon Do. Grappling are BJJ and wrestling. Then of cause knee and elbow from Muy Thai. Kung Fu literally disappeared after UFC 3. I don't know how many times I watched the first few UFC, they were eye opening and stunning. UFC is very practical, if you win, they follow and learn. Look at Royce Gracie single handily put BJJ onto the map because he whooped everyone's butt in UFC 1and 2. Too bad he was injured and had to forfeit in UFC 3. Those days, they fight all the fights in one day. Any style can audition in UFC, everyone has the same opportunity, you just have to win.

I grew up in Hong Kong and I was still there when Bruce Lee died. Did they hate Bruce Lee because Lee was pretty much the first one that combine different MA and only choose what is actually useful. He combine boxing hands, a little Wing Chun and all Tae Kwon Do kicks + Wing Chun front step kick. Men, when Lee was alive, they were quiet as a mouse, then right after Lee died, they all came out and said they can beat Lee.

I want to specify, I am a Chinese from Hong Kong!!! It's not easy for me to say all these.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is the technique in kung fu? If the answer is yes then it is a valid kung fu technique. Is the technique in muay thai? If so the technique is a valid technique. A technique doesn't have to be uniquely part of a system to be part of a system.

Was this technique taught in traditional martial arts including Kung fu before MMA existed? Yes. I've seen this same kick in traditional Chinese and Japanese systems. Do you really think Ufc created this kick? Out of all th numerous kicks in kung fu, do you really think they didn't know such a simple kick?

If it's taught in kung fu then it's a valid kung fu technique. If the same technique is taught in muay thai then it's a valid Muay Thai technique.

Just because the technique is in multiple systems doesn't mean it voids it from that system.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am still waiting for one style that can make it to pay-per-view in MMA fights USING IT's OWN STYLE( not fight like MMA).
I'm not sure what you expect to see. There's no rule in Jow Ga kung fu that says that I have to throw a Jow Ga combination. I can just front kick, jab, hook, cover, block, side kick separately. These are techniques found in Jow ga so these same techniques could technically be called Jow Ga. I'm personally more picky about my applications so I try to use more of the unique techniques and combos. But yeah. If I want to do a front kick to the ribs or side kick to the. Those are things that have been trained in Jow ga since the it's creation.

Maybe you want to see some of the unique stuff from Kung fu. My guess is that you already have but just don't realize it. For example you have already seen shadowless kicking techniques being effectively used in MMA.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you expect to see. There's no rule in Jow Ga kung fu that says that I have to throw a Jow Ga combination. I can just front kick, jab, hook, cover, block, side kick separately. These are techniques found in Jow ga so these same techniques could technically be called Jow Ga. I'm personally more picky about my applications so I try to use more of the unique techniques and combos. But yeah. If I want to do a front kick to the ribs or side kick to the. Those are things that have been trained in Jow ga since the it's creation.

Maybe you want to see some of the unique stuff from Kung fu. My guess is that you already have but just don't realize it. For example you have already seen shadowless kicking techniques being effectively used in MMA.
I don't know Jow Ga,

I never seen Chinese kung fu have side kick and round kick. I have seen so many different styles, Choy Le Fut, Monkey, white crane, white brow, different Shaolin, Prey Mentas, Dragon and many others. Most chinese kung fu front kick with the heel( I am not saying it's bad, actually it's better as the heel is stronger than the ball of the feet). Remember, I was in Hong Kong, I've seen enough demonstration of different kung fu in real life and on tv as they have different people came on all the time.

Before Bruce Lee first came on to the scene, nobody use side kick and round kick. when Bruce Lee first appeared, it was BIG NEWS and stunning in Hong Kong and shaked up the whole MA scene. So it is NOT like kung fu had all the kicks all along. Then the punching, it's all different, nothing like boxing hands. That's the reason those "masters" were so mad and jealous of Bruce Lee. All of a sudden, you see all the round and side kicks used in the movies. You almost never seen those before Bruce Lee. So no, I don't think Kung fu has side or round kicks, particular high kicks like TKD.

Remember, I live there for 20 years, when Bruce Lee was in Hong Kong. We saw a lot of stuff from China also. This is nothing new to me. Kung Fu was very popular. My grand father on my mother side was master of some sort in China( I never met him).

And yes, if anyone want to claim their style, they have to fight with their style and win. Just like Royce Gracie WON with BJJ, no doubt about it. That's the reason BJJ is so popular around the world and you can find school everywhere. We definitely have Gracie BJJ in the bayarea. One cannot claim their own style and fight exactly like MMA.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is the technique in kung fu? If the answer is yes then it is a valid kung fu technique. Is the technique in muay thai? If so the technique is a valid technique. A technique doesn't have to be uniquely part of a system to be part of a system.

Was this technique taught in traditional martial arts including Kung fu before MMA existed? Yes. I've seen this same kick in traditional Chinese and Japanese systems. Do you really think Ufc created this kick? Out of all th numerous kicks in kung fu, do you really think they didn't know such a simple kick?

If it's taught in kung fu then it's a valid kung fu technique. If the same technique is taught in muay thai then it's a valid Muay Thai technique.

Just because the technique is in multiple systems doesn't mean it voids it from that system.

The answer is no. The person performing the kick didn't learn that kick in Kung Fu, he learned it in Muay Thai. Thus the delivery system, the target area, the timing, the set up, etc. Are entirely from that discipline.

I'm sure that particular kick is taught in Kung Fu, but if you've never taken Kung Fu, then you're not doing Kung Fu when you're performing the technique. It is incredibly dishonest to say that what we're seeing is a fighter utilizing Kung Fu in a MMA context.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So no, I don't think Kung fu has side or round kicks, particular high kicks like TKD.
Except that we do.
And yes, if anyone want to claim their style, they have to fight with their style and win. Just like Royce Gracie WON with BJJ, no doubt about it. That's the reason BJJ is so popular around the world and you can find school everywhere. We definitely have Gracie BJJ in the bayarea. One cannot claim their own style and fight exactly like MMA.
See, this is where it is clear to me that you don’t have much depth In your understanding of martial arts. What system a person practices does not dictate what it looks like when one fights. The system is a training methodology. That may “look like” something, may have a signature appearance for the style. But that falls away when someone fights. Fighting can look like anything.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Except that we do.

See, this is where it is clear to me that you don’t have much depth In your understanding of martial arts. What system a person practices does not dictate what it looks like when one fights. The system is a training methodology. That may “look like” something, may have a signature appearance for the style. But that falls away when someone fights. Fighting can look like anything.
You know, it's ok to copy what is practical from other style. If Tae Kwon Do kicks are superior, go copy from them and use it. Just don't claim it's theirs originally.

I've seen enough, MA is very big in Hong Kong and China at least 50 years ago. I have friends that were quite deep into different styles and they show me enough. They are NOTHING like MMA.

As I said, it's nothing wrong to learn what is good from other styles, just don't say it's yours.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, it's ok to copy what is practical from other style. If Tae Kwon Do kicks are superior, go copy from them and use it. Just don't claim it's theirs originally.

I've seen enough, MA is very big in Hong Kong and China at least 50 years ago. I have friends that were quite deep into different styles and they show me enough. They are NOTHING like MMA.

As I said, it's nothing wrong to learn what is good from other styles, just don't say it's yours.
Sorry, we have side kicks and roundhouse kicks. Apparently this is simply outside your realm of experience.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know Jow Ga,

I never seen Chinese kung fu have side kick and round kick. I have seen so many different styles, Choy Le Fut, Monkey, white crane, white brow, different Shaolin, Prey Mentas, Dragon and many others. Most chinese kung fu front kick with the heel( I am not saying it's bad, actually it's better as the heel is stronger than the ball of the feet). Remember, I was in Hong Kong, I've seen enough demonstration of different kung fu in real life and on tv as they have different people came on all the time.

Before Bruce Lee first came on to the scene, nobody use side kick and round kick. when Bruce Lee first appeared, it was BIG NEWS and stunning in Hong Kong and shaked up the whole MA scene. So it is NOT like kung fu had all the kicks all along. Then the punching, it's all different, nothing like boxing hands. That's the reason those "masters" were so mad and jealous of Bruce Lee. All of a sudden, you see all the round and side kicks used in the movies. You almost never seen those before Bruce Lee. So no, I don't think Kung fu has side or round kicks, particular high kicks like TKD.

Remember, I live there for 20 years, when Bruce Lee was in Hong Kong. We saw a lot of stuff from China also. This is nothing new to me. Kung Fu was very popular. My grand father on my mother side was master of some sort in China( I never met him).

Kung fu has side kicks. I don't know why you didn't see it. I've seen the side kick in northern the Northern Shaolin system. Recently saw a shaolin monk side kick someone in the face. Jow ga kung fu. We actually have in our forms. Jow Ga is a mix of 3 systems. Northern shaolin, Hung Ga, and Choy li fut.
Even though you lived in China it wouldn't mean you were exposed to kung fu systems that have side kicks. Even Bruce Lee had a side kick.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if they don't ban the kick then all of the fighters should start learning how to defend against it since it's fair game. Time will tell. Once you blow out your knee it really isn't like it used to be depending on what is torn or broken. After the match Bukauska said his leg was broken. We'll know once the xrays and mri scans come out.

True. I throw the oblique kick version of this a lot and to the thigh. But very light and precise, just to control distance. If I wanted to land right on the knee & blow it out, it's pretty easy. But when someone who I don't know, throw this with a lot of force, then it's on; unless they say they were sorry & didn't mean it to be that hard. I have a good defense/return for it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, we have side kicks and roundhouse kicks. Apparently this is simply outside your realm of experience.
Yeah that was a strange comment to me about the round house and side kick. I heard some kung fu teachers say that about round house kicks in kung fu but that was specific to one system and you had to go pretty far back for that to apply for that system. But low iron broom kicks to the leg were there with southern systems.
The fact that there are kung fu defenses to round house kick makes me believe that round house kicks were being done hence the reason the defense and counters to round house kicks are there to begin with.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously folks...

The fact that this has happened a grand total of one time over 26 years and hundreds of thousands of attempts is hardly a sparkling review for the efficacy of the technique.

This is a unicorn.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously folks...

The fact that this has happened a grand total of one time over 26 years and hundreds of thousands of attempts is hardly a sparkling review for the efficacy of the technique.

This is a unicorn.

Shat happens in fights.

Side kicks can cause injuries to your opponent......just like every other technique.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The answer is no. The person performing the kick didn't learn that kick in Kung Fu,
I didn't ask what he was trained in. I asked if the technique was found in kung fu.

Latest Discussions