Kukkiwon question: were all unified kwans TKD?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought that I would ask this is the general section: were any of the kwans that were unified into the Kukkiwon not taekwondo? In other words, were any of them going by KSD, HKD, TSD, etc.

Thank you,

Daniel

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most Kwans that unified under "Taekwondo" were KSD & TSD based on my sources.

Last edited:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with those above. The unification was the process of creating TKD. Also, TKA was at least the second name under consideration.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
So TSD was the father or originator of TKD. In my younger days (Korean Karate as it was named) my sambonim told us that TKD origins were TSD and SBD.

For me TKD was the name that Gen Choi put to the new MA that originates of the union of some Korean Martila Arfts Kwans, so they get together and do a review of all their techs and agree to use some of them and invented some more and the emphazis was on kicking mostly.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there were originally five kwans that unified, and four more joined shortly thereafter. The unified Kwans selected Tae Kwon Do from several suggested names. Tang So Do was one other suggestion. It has been suggested that Tae Kwon Do was selected for it's phonetic similarity to Taekyon, one of the historic martial arts of Korea. Details and hard facts about the unification are somewhat fuzzy...

Unless I am mistaken, the first five kwans were
Moo Duk Kwan
Chung Do Kwan
Jidokwan
Chang Moo Kwan
Song Moo Kwan

And they were soon joined by
Oh Do Kwan
Han Moo Kwan
Kang Duk Kwan
Jung Do Kwan

So technically, none of the Kwans were Tae Kwon Do.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Changmoo Kwan and Kang Duk Won were not TKD. They taught a combined karate and kwon bup (chuan-fa) curriculum. Those kwan leaders Changmoo-kwan: Lee Nam-sok, im Soon-Bae; Kang Duk Won: Park Chul-hee, Hong Jong-pyo were all students of Yoon Byung-in. Yoon Byung-in taught karate,chuan-fa, and bong-sul.

R. McLain

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought that I would ask this is the general section: were any of the kwans that were unified into the Kukkiwon not taekwondo? In other words, were any of them going by KSD, HKD, TSD, etc.

Thank you,

Daniel

Okay this is a really fuzzy issue that I don't think even a lot of the Koreans know for sure, so please do not take my word for it.

From what I understand there were about eight kwons that combined to make the kukkiwon. Ummmmmmm hmmmmmmm.......... This is really hard to say because as stated before no one really knows all that well.

Being as TKD, and HKD, are taught together most of the time at least in Korea and Hapkido black belts are Kukkiwon certified there would have to be HKD in there.

Now if you look at what hapkido is I suppose you can answer your own question.

Hapkido/Habgido = low kicks meant to cripple the legs and break the knees, joint locks and breaks for control/submission and ending the fight outright along with punches and other hand strike plus a few knees and elbows.

In Korean.

Habi = to throw
Ki = inner power
Do = way/philosophy

Hapkido is the way of the force from within or something like that.

I have also seen it translated as the way of inner harmony and power.

Hapkido mainly involves grappling techniques. Do you have any grappling like joint locks in your style? if so it came from hapkido. As stated before its all the same thing to the koreans.

Now my school is a line of teachers that come strait down from Judikwon, and my personal training has been more in line with hapkido than tae kwon do.
My training is for sure striking focused but it has a hapkido flavor to it, but I'm 1st dan in TKD not HKD so of course I was taught to strike not grapple, though some of it bleeds through on both sides obviously. The HKD black belts will own me in a grapple match, but I have the upper hand in striking, though to really be any good at my old school you have to have bb's in both.

Anyway I know Judikwon whether termed TKD or not is more of a HKD style so take it for what its worth.

The best way to find out would be to ask a Korean history major lol.

Good luck finding one, and I hope this helps but I really doubt it as it is just a bunch I don't really know.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The quantity and identity of the kwans that are credited with forming taekwondo is known, with some school's websites referencing them.

Seems that Wikipedia holds the answer to my original question, though I generally don't like to rely too much on Wiki.

Now this is what Wikipedia says about them:

Songmukwan - 11-March 1944 (my birthday, though not birth year)
Founded by Byung Jik Ro, who had studied Shotokan (Song do kwan) along with Won Kyuk Lee under Funakoshi. Ro's successor and son, Hee Sang Ro, studied karate, hapkido, kumdo, and Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

Chungdokwan - 1944
Founded by Won Kyuk Lee, who studied Taekyeon, kung fu, and karate.

Mudukwan - 1946
Founded by Hwang Kee, who trained in taekyeon, tai chi, and some kind of kung fu in China. Lee of CDK claims that Kee was his student, but Kee denied this. Kee discovered subak when he read the Muyedobotongji, and called his art Subakdo, but later the organization became Mudukwan tangsudo.

Changmukwan - 1946
Founder had studied Chuan fa, and called his art Kwonbop kongsudo, which was based on Chuan fa.

Yunmukwan/Jidokwan - 3-March 1946
Full name was Chosun Yunmukwan Kongsudo Bu, and had been a Japanese judo school for thirty years prior to 1946.

The four later kwans were:

Hanmukwan - 1954
Founded by Lee Kyo Yun, was an offshoot of Jidokwan

Ohdokwan - 1955
Offshoot of CDK, founded by Choi. Lots of info on this one, lol.

Kang Duk Won - 1956
Founded by Park Chul Hee and Hong Jong Pyo as an offshoot of the Kwon Bop Bu/Chang Moo Kwan.

Jungdokwan - 1956
Founded by Lee Yong Woo (died August, 2006) as an offshoot of the Chung Do Kwan.

None of them called themselves or what they were teaching taekwondo initially, as the term had not been coined at that point. I think that the first to use the term was Ohdokwan, as Choi coined the term.

Which is of course the brings me to the question in the OP: All of these kwans were rolled into the Kukkiwon, but what did each of them call what they taught before the kwan unification?

As I said above, Wikipedia seems to answer this, though I restated that I am generally hesitant to just take Wikipedia at face value on this.

Daniel

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately that Wikipedia article has some errors in it too. I am not sure how accurate it is.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kwan
Year
Founder
Style
Influences
5 Original Taekwondo Kwans

Chung Do Kwon
Lee Won Kuk
Tang Soo Do
Shotokan karate
Moo Duk Kwan
Hwang Kee
Hwa Soo Do / Tang Soo Do
Tai Chi / Kung Fu / Shotokan karate
Song Moo Kwan
Ro Byung Jick
Tang Soo Do
Shotokan karate
Kwon Bop Bu / Chang Moo Kwon
Yoon Byung In
Kong Soo Do
Shudokan karate
Yun Mo Kwan / Jidokwan
Chun Sang Sup
Kong Soo Do
Shotokan karate
Later Taekwondo Kwans

Han Moo Kwan
Lee Kyo Yoon
1 year
Yun Moo Kwan / Jidokwan
Oh Do Kwan
Choi Hong Hi / Nam Tae Hi / Han Cha Kyo
14 months
Chung Do Kwan
Kang Duk Kwan
Park chul Hee / Hong Jong Pyo
16 months
Kwon Bop Bu / Chang Moo Kwan
Jung Do Kwan
Lee Yong Woo
20 months
Chung Do Kwan

Daniel here is some more info.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of them taught either Kong Soo Do (the way of the open hand, aka Karate-Do) or Tang Soo Do (the way of the Chinese Tang Hand, aka Karate-Do)

The fact that the Japanese/Okinawan art of Karate originally translated into the way of the Tang hand, in reference to the Chinese Tang dynasty, the Korean people wanted to distance themselves from Tang Soo Do. When the Japanese changed the meaning of Karate to mean the way of the open hand, the Korean people wanted to distance themselves from Kong Soo Do.

After being occupied by the Japanese from 1910-1945, and having their own culture squashed, the Koreans wanted nothing to do with anything likening their arts to Japan.

General Choi, forced the name Tae Kwon Do on the unification process, and because of his military clout he was successful in doing so.. .

There were some schools that did not use either Tang Soo Do or Kong Soo Do. Hwang Kee originally called his art Hwa Soo Do, but no one wanted to learn "the way of the flowering hand," so he changed the name to Tang Soo Do (and later Soo Bahk Do).

The Chang Moo Kwan labeled their art as Kwon Bup Bu (Ch'uan Fa)

That being said, the labels do not necessarily accurately reflect what was being taught.

Each founder of the 9 Kwans had backgrounds in various arts. All of them had some foundation in Karate (mostly Japanese), but alot of them had backgrounds in Chinese arts as well (Yang Tai Chi, Ch'uan Fa) and the Korean arts, to some extent, of Ship Pal Gi (18 martial methods of the Muyedobotonji, which was Chinese in origin), Tae Kyun, etc.. .

We also have to consider the large amount of cross-fertilization that took place between the Kwans in the early days. For example Byung In Yoon (Chang Moo Kwan founder) taught his Ch'uan Fa to Byung Jick Ro (Song Moo Kwan), Ki Whang Kim, and Hwang Kee (Moo Duk Kwan).

While it is a fascinating topic of conversation, the truths are often clouded because of the original distaste of the Japanese after their occupation of Korea, AND the Korean struggle for individuality after nearly 35 years of cultural oppression. The problem is that now, 65 years later, the same stories are still there.. .

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ohdokwan - 1955
Offshoot of CDK, founded by Choi. Lots of info on this one, lol.
Here is what I was told by my master about OhDoKwan:

OhDoKwan was founded in South Korean by General Choi Hong Hi and Nam Tae Hi. It was a key aspect of the Republic of Korea Army’s training program. The civilian annex was called “Dae Han TaeKwon-Do Oh Do Kwan Jung Ang Bon Kwan” in Seoul. OhDoKwan was originally made up of ChungDoKwan members. Due to their efforts to develop Oh Do Kwan under new leadership they were all expelled from ChungDoKwan.

TaeKwonDo was formed in 1972, when the major kwans (schools) of Korean martial arts unified. After this, OhDoKwan followed the World TaeKwon-Do Federation and Kukkiwon and it’s curriculum.

Grandmaster Kevin Kim was the 4th ‘head’ of the civil annex in Seoul Korea before moving to the United States. He is my master.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being as TKD, and HKD, are taught together most of the time at least in Korea and Hapkido black belts are Kukkiwon certified there would have to be HKD in there.

Hapkido/Habgido = low kicks meant to cripple the legs and break the knees, joint locks and breaks for control/submission and ending the fight outright along with punches and other hand strike plus a few knees and elbows.

Didn't see this thread before.

I don't know what is being done now, but when I was in Korea, I never saw Hapkido and Taekwando being taught together. I certainly never heard of Hapkido being certified by the Kukkiwon. I was certified by the Korean Hapkido Federation/Association (I have seen documents with both). To my understanding, when the TKD organization began to assimilate kwans, Hapkido and Tang Su Do were the holdouts. After many years, I think Tang Su Do finally joined. But as I saw it practiced the last time I was in Korea (1984-1986), it had some very distinct characteristics from TKD.

I think perhaps your Habgido and Gumdo and just different transliterations of Hapkido and Kumdo. There are several ways (alphabets if you will) for translating Korean words into English. Your characterization of Hapkido is a little simplified.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is what I was told by my master about OhDoKwan:

OhDoKwan was founded in South Korean by General Choi Hong Hi and Nam Tae Hi. It was a key aspect of the Republic of Korea Army’s training program. The civilian annex was called “Dae Han TaeKwon-Do Oh Do Kwan Jung Ang Bon Kwan” in Seoul. OhDoKwan was originally made up of ChungDoKwan members. Due to their efforts to develop Oh Do Kwan under new leadership they were all expelled from ChungDoKwan.

TaeKwonDo was formed in 1972, when the major kwans (schools) of Korean martial arts unified. After this, OhDoKwan followed the World TaeKwon-Do Federation and Kukkiwon and it’s curriculum.

Grandmaster Kevin Kim was the 4th ‘head’ of the civil annex in Seoul Korea before moving to the United States. He is my master.

I don't know that I would say TaeKwonDo was formed in 1972, only maybe as the unifying head of many none TKD organizations. I studied TaeKwanDo under Jhoon Goo Rhee in 1965. I also saw it taught in Vietnam in the mid-late 60s. It was rather unknown in the USA then, and we would tell people we studied TKD, and then usually have to tell them it was sort of like Karate. Back then, people knew of Karate (from WWII vets) and Kung Fu from TV programs. TKD, mostly not.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Didn't see this thread before.

I don't know what is being done now, but when I was in Korea, I never saw Hapkido and Taekwando being taught together. I certainly never heard of Hapkido being certified by the Kukkiwon. I was certified by the Korean Hapkido Federation/Association (I have seen documents with both). To my understanding, when the TKD organization began to assimilate kwans, Hapkido and Tang Su Do were the holdouts. After many years, I think Tang Su Do finally joined. But as I saw it practiced the last time I was in Korea (1984-1986), it had some very distinct characteristics from TKD.

I think perhaps your Habgido and Gumdo and just different transliterations of Hapkido and Kumdo. There are several ways (alphabets if you will) for translating Korean words into English. Your characterization of Hapkido is a little simplified.
May I ask who Kevin Kim's instructors are/were?