Why did Hwang Kee resist General Choi's attempt to unify the kwans?

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It seems that Hwang Kee saw something in the general that he didn't like. I am glad that Hwang Kee stayed true to what he was doing and rejected the Kwans. Now Tang Soo Do is not divided like its sister art.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that Hwang Kee saw something in the general that he didn't like. I am glad that Hwang Kee stayed true to what he was doing and rejected the Kwans. Now Tang Soo Do is not divided like its sister art.

I find this to be a very interesting statement. I'm wondering in what sense you mean that TSD is not divided? I have always thought that with all of the many many offshoots of TSD, we are one of the more fragmented arts. I mean, with TKD, at least they have the Kukkiwon. There really is not governing body over any large portion of TSD. We all have our own little organizations and empires. If all of the Kwan Jangs were to unite, we would probably have one of the larger organizations in the world; but that will obviously never happen.

Thought Hwang Kee's resistance did keep our curriculum the way he saw fit, it did not keep us from becoming divided.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I find this to be a very interesting statement. I'm wondering in what sense you mean that TSD is not divided? I have always thought that with all of the many many offshoots of TSD, we are one of the more fragmented arts. I mean, with TKD, at least they have the Kukkiwon. There really is not governing body over any large portion of TSD. We all have our own little organizations and empires. If all of the Kwan Jangs were to unite, we would probably have one of the larger organizations in the world; but that will obviously never happen.

Thought Hwang Kee's resistance did keep our curriculum the way he saw fit, it did not keep us from becoming divided.

Ah yes, that was very misleading of me and I apologize. I meant more in the sense of ITF versus WTF. Every style has its multitude of organisations, but in TSD, it seems that it doesn't play as much of a role as it does in TKD, or at least it is more hidden and more downplayed. I have many friends in TSD and there is never really any mention of what organization one belongs to, whether what they practice is sport or traditional, etc.

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score

Tang Soo Do did split after this( or should I say the Moo Duk Kwan) do to this meeting. Many Tang Soo Do Masters left GM Hwang and joined the KTA. That's why you had the Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan and the Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do did split after this( or should I say the Moo Duk Kwan) do to this meeting. Many Tang Soo Do Masters left GM Hwang and joined the KTA. That's why you had the Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan and the Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.

Oh crap, I didn't even think about that, how did I miss that one :duh::duh::duh:! I am still glad that he chose to reject the general and stay true to what he was doing.

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems that GM Hwang had more issues then gen. Choi since we see that the letter was at time that Gen. Choi was not involved with the KTA.
He didn't like the 2nd generation instructors, plus the Ministry of education
disolved the Korean soo Bak Do Association. Lee Chong woo, Uhm woon Kyu, and Lee Nam Suk were the leaders within the KTA at the time GM Hwang had conflicts with them. Maybe he felt he was being Bullied into joining or he saw Tang Soo Do losing too much. Either way, you have what you have today due to GM Hwang staying seperate from the KTA.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah yes, that was very misleading of me and I apologize. I meant more in the sense of ITF versus WTF. Every style has its multitude of organisations, but in TSD, it seems that it doesn't play as much of a role as it does in TKD, or at least it is more hidden and more downplayed. I have many friends in TSD and there is never really any mention of what organization one belongs to, whether what they practice is sport or traditional, etc.

I understand what you mean, I think that our "issues" are more internal than anything. There is a lot of fragmentation within the style, but we tend to maintain an overall identity nonetheless, even between Soo Bahk Do and Tang Soo Do. I think that owes a lot to the fact that there really isn't a sport aspect to TSD/SBD, for the most part the schools are traditional.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
II think that owes a lot to the fact that there really isn't a sport aspect to TSD/SBD, for the most part the schools are traditional.

You'd be suprised how many XMA people call what they do Xtreme Tang Soo Do. It hurts, just a little bit.

Latest Discussions