Kukkiwon Benefits

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IME, only a tiny minority of students ever do that much due dilligence. Most call or walk in, and make a decision based on what they see and hear - often based on too little knowledge to make the decision they need to make.

Yeah, most parents just want their kid to do martial arts because they want their kid to have more confidence and get some exercise. They don't know Taekwondo from karate, nevermind KKW from ITF.

I will say we do sometimes get a new student who studied KKW TKD before and wants to continue that. And we get some Korean-American families who want their kid to learn KKW TKD for cultural education type reasons. But those are the only times people ask about what kind of TKD we do.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is especially true given that lots of people are clueless even though they’ve trained for long periods of time. I talked to an instructor who told me their school used to practice Taegeuk poomsae but switched to Palgwae because it was official World Taekwondo Federation poomsae. They also assured me that their black belts were WTF certified (they weren’t).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oof. Stuff like this is why KKW is going to be making the Master course required to promote people, I think. So many people just don't even know these basic things.

OP
R

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate all of your feedback. I don't like the Olympic style of fighting and I typically steer people away from Kukkiwon schools when they move away as in my experience most of them have been McDojos. Those seem to be the two biggest benefits of the organization. Easy answer.

Thanks!

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have seen Kukkiwon black belts in my home country of Sweden that I did not even believe did TKD.. They threw soccer kicks as dolyo chagis, literally. and slow as snails...

The one thing I will say that looks more damning to the KKW is that they didn't even make failed attempts..

the low standard of ITF (and believe me, it can be toilet level) is at the very least approximations of good techniques, I recognize that they are trying to do TKD.

You are not the first person to say that some independent organizations have higher quality control, especially in the US.

Latest Discussions