KT:Kenpo more realistic than Brazilian Ju-Jutsu??

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kenpo more realistic than Brazilian Ju-Jutsu??
By Kenpoguru - Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:31:41 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I've personally been in Kenpo for more than 20. In my opinion it is the most effective self defense in the world. These Gracie Ju-Jutsu brothers have in the past gone out and challenged practicioners of just about every style. Clearly the Kenpo practicioners they have beat are not true masters of their art. Just curious about other peoples opinion on this topic.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo and BJJ both get there butts kicked by Greenoch. End of story, no further discussion needed.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless of style, the reason they compete so well is - well they train to compete, and they only compete with other styles in their own venue under their rules. Or to paraphrase a story Parker told, "If you're 5'6" and a 6 foot tall guy challenges you to fight in 5'8" of water, you're at a pretty good disadvantage.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is difficult to compare styles that are divided. I see the BJJ as a sport or ring art, not meaning to take anything away from it it all...I mean no disrespect so don't mis-understand or twist my words....When I think of most of my kenpo I think of the eye gouges, etc....a considerable amount of our strikes are not allowed for obvious reasons.....Tough to call....

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see the BJJ as a sport or ring art, not meaning to take anything away from it it all...I mean no disrespect so don't mis-understand or twist my words....When I think of most of my kenpo I think of the eye gouges, etc....a considerable amount of our strikes are not allowed for obvious reasons.....Tough to call....

Just because BJJ is used extensively in the ring doesn't mean it can't be used for defense. All of the locks, holds and chokes you learn in BJJ can be used to disable and kill, you just ease off before that point in practice or competition. Same thing with Kenpo, unless you have a lot of one eyed students stumbling around after every class.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because BJJ is used extensively in the ring doesn't mean it can't be used for defense. All of the locks, holds and chokes you learn in BJJ can be used to disable and kill, you just ease off before that point in practice or competition. Same thing with Kenpo, unless you have a lot of one eyed students stumbling around after every class.

Yes, and a linebacker who practices "blitzes" can blind side you and knock your butt sideways. But, that does not make him a renowned street fighter. We arrest them all the time against their wishes.

In his venue he's a formidable opponent. On the street he's just a big, well- conditioned attacker with no special knowledge of fighting. The holds, locks, and chokes are no different. In any venue, they are valid, so practiced and trained in a sport context they retain their viability. But, when taken to a street context where the recipient has additional options of resistance not bound by rules of fair play that regulate behavior, than the locks and holds, change context as well and lose many of their options of use. Some are negated completely without rules protection.

And furthermore, many will be not used because the physical consequences for failure are too high on the street, so they will be ignored because of psychological impediments. There isn't a person on this planet who can't hurt you with no training at all. Context training is what separates the street fighters from the competitors sir.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
In his venue he's a formidable opponent. On the street he's just a big, well- conditioned attacker with no special knowledge of fighting. The holds, locks, and chokes are no different.

Yeah, they are considerably different. The "no knowledge of fighting" does not apply to BJJ. Sure, they concentrate on the ground to the exclusion of much else, but the same can be said in reverse of most kenpo. Some BJJ moves are of limited use "on the street" - and the same applies to kenpo. If someone has you in a solid rear naked choke, and they want you dead, then you have little chance to survive.

BTW, I say all this as a student of kenpo.

Context training is what separates the street fighters from the competitors sir.

True. Unfortunately, that means that there are nearly as few street fighters in kenpo as there are in BJJ.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, they are considerably different. The "no knowledge of fighting" does not apply to BJJ. Sure, they concentrate on the ground to the exclusion of much else, but the same can be said in reverse of most kenpo. Some BJJ moves are of limited use "on the street" - and the same applies to kenpo. If someone has you in a solid rear naked choke, and they want you dead, then you have little chance to survive.

BTW, I say all this as a student of kenpo.

True. Unfortunately, that means that there are nearly as few street fighters in kenpo as there are in BJJ.
Less.

Latest Discussions