KT:Kenpo mindset vs. Ju Jitsu mindset.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kenpo mindset vs. Ju Jitsu mindset.
By KenpoJuJitsu3 - 10-26-2012 04:48 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I was wondering if anyone could share some of their insight on this topic.

When I train with someone in Ju Jitsu and a move isn't working for them and I tweak it for them, let them feel that it works by doing the move to them and then allowing them to do the move to me they accept it and are grateful for the adjustment because it works.

When I train with someone in Kenpo and a move isn't working for them and I tweak it for them, let them feel that it works by doing the move to them and then allowing them to do the move to me they acknowledge that it works but reject it because "that's not what the book/manual says".

In all the arts I've trained in and all the people I've trained with this phenomenon has been 100% exclusive to Kenpo and its practitioners.

Thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say that I have had similar experiences--positive in jujutsu (including Judo), and also in JKD, and negative with Kenpoists, who have generally not been open to new ideas and in fact have usually insisted on explaining to me why I'm wrong in theory even when they're seeing the effects in practice. It's a mindset issue and it's problematic.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will say that I have had similar experiences--positive in jujutsu (including Judo), and also in JKD, and negative with Kenpoists, who have generally not been open to new ideas and in fact have usually insisted on explaining to me why I'm wrong in theory even when they're seeing the effects in practice. It's a mindset issue and it's problematic.

As a former kenpo guy, it is my opinion that the very approach of having a series of "self-defense" techniques as a main portion of the curriculum, especially in the sheer numbers that is typical of many kenpo lineages, encourages this type of thing. It creates a mind-set that makes people look at it in this way. In my opinion, it is not a good way to design a curriculum.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A little strange for me due to being a Kenpo instructor here in the UK it is very important for me that when I teach my students a particular SD technique, if it doesn't work or flow well for them we then look at the technique and tweak it as necessary for it to feel comfortable to them.

Maybe I am unusual but I believe that there is no benefit it producing students that are just carbon copy clones of the instructor, performing all techniques exactly the same way. Differences in body mechanics, height, weight etc all add up to different students performing the same techniques in slightly different ways. Personally, I would rather a student know x amount of techniques that work for him/her than x amount of techniques that look good and exactly like the curriculum, but only 50% of them are effective for that student.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All the Kenpo guys I've worked with adapt to anything the situation dictates. But maybe they don't behind closed doors, I don't know. All the jits guys I work with are better at Jits than I am.

So, I guess the short of it is....I dunno.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my sensei makes sure that we understand why the techniques work and even encourages u to experiment to see if we can improve techs to fit us better (although when testing comes we have to have the by the book way perfect). But that's Kempo, not EPAK, so maybe the mindsets different between the two?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a former kenpo guy, it is my opinion that the very approach of having a series of "self-defense" techniques as a main portion of the curriculum, especially in the sheer numbers that is typical of many kenpo lineages, encourages this type of thing. It creates a mind-set that makes people look at it in this way. In my opinion, it is not a good way to design a curriculum.
That is all because people are being sold a business model, and not "That one thing" (as Jack Palance holds up a finger).
Sean