Krav Maga in Essex

RedArrow

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to take up Krav Maga as a Hobby.

My main reason for doing this is to learn Self defence, and to help me get in shape of course.

I've been researching about Krav Maga for a few days now and have emailed/contacted a few schools/venues- and have found out that it's not regulated by any body or anything. Pretty much with any Martial Art, essentially - If you want to teach you can. Despite your prior experience in the art.

This left me rather concerned... as, I live in Essex, England. Where there doesn't appear to be that many Krav Maga Venues that teach this form of Self Defence, but I don't want to sign up to 'the nearest' and well, not get what I'm paying for pretty much.

So I was wondering.. Does anyone on here, live in Essex or perhaps know of a Krav Maga Venue that teaches Legitimate, Authentic, Krav Maga that isn't just someone trying to make a fast buck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT or should I say 'shut uup'! ( that's an Essex joke people, not being rude!)
I'm up in North Yorkshire I'm afraid so not much use to you, and KM isn't my style. There's one poster who may know though he hasn't posted for a while, I'll give him a shout on FB and see if he knows anywhere. He's down in Sussex which is at least closer lol. :)

OP
RedArrow

RedArrow

White Belt
Reaction score
Damn, you reply fast!

I thought it'd be a real long shot creating a Topic here.. (last post I saw was like 5th may) And well, you certinally was prompt on your reply!

Haha, no worries - Thanks for giving the other Poster a shout for me, greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks again!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to take up Krav Maga as a Hobby.

My main reason for doing this is to learn Self defence, and to help me get in shape of course.

I've been researching about Krav Maga for a few days now and have emailed/contacted a few schools/venues- and have found out that it's not regulated by any body or anything. Pretty much with any Martial Art, essentially - If you want to teach you can. Despite your prior experience in the art.

This left me rather concerned... as, I live in Essex, England. Where there doesn't appear to be that many Krav Maga Venues that teach this form of Self Defence, but I don't want to sign up to 'the nearest' and well, not get what I'm paying for pretty much.

So I was wondering.. Does anyone on here, live in Essex or perhaps know of a Krav Maga Venue that teaches Legitimate, Authentic, Krav Maga that isn't just someone trying to make a fast buck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where about's in the county are you? Have heard that there is a school in Chelmsford, but have not checked as yet.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ta for coming on. :)

Mmm, to be honest about it, this search kind of reminds of the Chicken and the Egg question. Still though, the one in Chelmsford is affiliated with Eyal Yanilov, but teaching his curriculum. Mind you, asking about Krav these days is not such a simple question. Guess the best advice to the OP is, Google, pick one and go.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, to be honest about it, this search kind of reminds of the Chicken and the Egg question. Still though, the one in Chelmsford is affiliated with Eyal Yanilov, but teaching his curriculum. Mind you, asking about Krav these days is not such a simple question. Guess the best advice to the OP is, Google, pick one and go.

Whateva..... sorry can't help the Essex jokes :D I did live as a child for a while in Wickford, it was a little village then.

I know very little about Krav Maga other than it can be very expensive.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whateva..... sorry can't help the Essex jokes :D I did live as a child for a while in Wickford, it was a little village then.

Wickford is now a car park I think. However in Chelmsford, we are more sofisticated. It's "Yeah, yeah whatever" :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Down here, it seems that most offer three tiers of training packages. Terminology as I have come across it is - Bronze, Silver and Gold, or Platinum. From around 40 quid up to like 80 to a ton. Due to the eclectic nature of Krav, or so it seems, they are not like the traditional dojo/kwoon etc, more like a high intensity training environment geared towards strengths and weaknesses of said students that be modified, rather than a strict curriculum of forms and whatnot. Certainly a lot different when introduced than what an ex colleague and ex legionary showed me a few years back.

OP
RedArrow

RedArrow

White Belt
Reaction score
I see.

Thank you @Transk53 There is one in Chelsmford, at the High School for Girls.

I've found these two, so think as suggested above- To just go to both and see which ones best.

United Krav Maga (South-end)
http://unitedkma.co.uk

United Krav Maga Academy
Address: United Krav Maga Academy, Festival Leisure Park, Pipps Hill Road, Basildon, SS14 3DG
Call: 01268 833 448
Email: [email protected]

---------------------------------
Krav Maga Elite (Chelmsford)
Krav Maga Chelmsford Classes | Self Defence Chelmsford

Gymnasium
High School For Girls
Broomfield Road,
Chelmsford CM1 1RW
01245 891188

---------------------------------

Thanks to all that posted.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Keep an eye on the emphasis of the class though. Rather than technique for the knock out blow for SD that does not exist, just keep an eye on what fits. Krav is quite simple, but that is no bad thing. That is what it is, just technique's. What is important is WHY you feel the need, and with what motive. Krav is not going to save you just because, it is what you can assimilate into you're own skill set. As SD, Krav has the wrong message in the main, it is more than that, involves more than that.

Latest Discussions