Krav Maga in the real world

Racer22

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm male, 5ft 6 and weigh 70kg. I've decided to take up martial arts at the age of 28 just to get fitter really and because it would never really hurt to be able to defend yourself. I've been watching some videos of Krav Maga online and it just seems like in the demonstration the opponents are letting themselves be thrown, in reality, can a smaller guy really throw a larger guy around and to the floor with power?

I just imagine in a real world situation, you'd never be able to throw a 6ft, 90kg man like you see in the demonstrations, or is this simply not true? I have no idea how someone my size would be able to generate the raw power to do that. What is it like in reality?

Thanks.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah you could. I've thrown people in sparring matches that size or bigger, and I'm about the same build as you. No clue what types of throws Krav teaches, but it's definitely possible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure if there are any examples of krav doing it. But there are examples.

Jujutsuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you can definitely throw someone who's larger than you if you practice hard on your technique during class time. Also, don't be afraid to hit the weight room. Sometimes maximizing heavy lifts like the deadlift or the clean and press can give you an idea of what it's like to move against a form of resistance that's heavier than you are.

Hope this helps. Peace.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most throws I have seen in Krav are bad versions of judo. Of course in Krav, they don't throw as much as they do in judo, so they don't have the same depth of experience.