Koto ryu Koppojutsu and Gyokko-ryu Kosshijutsu

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elhan said:
Neither would I, as I have said repeatedly.

Wait... so you are saying you wouldnt reccomend trying to learn about them from using Nina Williams in Tekken 5?

Then, what is this:

Elhan said:
I would recommend hiring a video on them if you want to find out more.

An alternative suggestion is to try using Nina Williams in Tekken 5 (http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekken5/profile.php?id=nina), if you are into games. The game is rather realistic, and has realistic motion animation. Her pressure points will give you a feel of Gyokko-Ryu, whilst her bone breaking techniques will give you an idea of Koto-Ryu. Keep in mind though her style is a blend of Aikido, the Bone MAs and commando kicks/grapples, so you have to know what to look for.

Sounds to me like you said: If you want an alternative suggestion to find out more about them, use Nina Williams from Tekken 5.

In fact... that IS what you said.

E

Elhan

Technopunk said:
Wait... so you are saying you wouldnt reccomend trying to learn about them from using Nina Williams in Tekken 5?

Then, what is this:

Sounds to me like you said: If you want an alternative suggestion to find out more about them, use Nina Williams from Tekken 5.

In fact... that IS what you said.
About what they LOOK like. Not to learn how to use them or learn more about them. I even specified certain types of moves. The fact that I posted a link for information about them should at least imply I don't expect the poster to learn the moves from the game. The motion animation is good, and from what instructors have shown me, the moves she uses do look realistic enough to give an idea of how they look.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elhan said:
About what they LOOK like. Not to learn how to use them or learn more about them.

Ok, ok. Thats not at all what your original post said, thank you for clarifying what you meant.

E

Elhan

Technopunk said:
Ok, ok. Thats not at all what your original post said, thank you for clarifying what you meant.
No problem. :) I would never recommend a video game as a method for training in a martial art, let alone even a DVD video. I'll be clearer in future posts.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elhan said:
I think Koto Ryu and Gyokko Ryu are two of the first ryus you learn, no?
As far as I know, I couldn't tell you with any certainty what ryu(s) my training has come from. I have heard several ryus mentioned and I think my training has had a bit of all of them in it, but I couldn't tell you for sure and I really am not too concerned about it either.

Elhan said:
As I said, it did stimulate an interest in the martial arts in me though.
There is nothing wrong with that either! :D

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Elhan said:
I think Koto Ryu and Gyokko Ryu are two of the first ryus you learn, no?

With our group, we first learn Kihon Happo from Gyokko and the Sanshin from Koto.

I'd be curious to hear if other groups do the same, and if not, what they tend to learn first...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
With our group, we first learn Kihon Happo from Gyokko and the Sanshin from Koto.

I'd be curious to hear if other groups do the same, and if not, what they tend to learn first...
We definitely learned Kihon and Sanshin first. Kihon and sanshin is still in everything we do. :D It is always there.

E

Elhan

mrhnau said:

Sounds great. I had always thought of Ninjutsu as the use of trickery and stealth rather than an actual fighting regime, until I saw some documentaries on Bujinkan and started getting names of the various ryu from movies, games and so on, and researching them. I'm quite fascinated about how complete a system it seems to be. I'll definitely look into it.

Latest Discussions