Koryo

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where do you do the first kiap in the Koryo form? I believe the Kukkiwon standard is to do it on the third neck strike, but my school does it one step later, on the knee strike. Does anybody else do it this way?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was told once that some schools do the first kihap on the first knee-break because students at those schools learn Koryo in two parts, and when doing so, part 1 ends there.

In other words, students spend a few months learning the first half of Koryo ending at the first knee-break (and ending with a kihap), then afterward they learn the second half of Koryo, likewise ending with a kihap. But yes...technically by Kukkiwon standard the first kihap is on the third neck-strike, and I think that's how most schools do it, but I have seen it done the way you're describing too.

Out of curiosity, does your school split the form like that, learning the first half initially, then later learning the second half?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our system does the first kiap on the knee break, but not for the reasons TrueJim describes. We do it that way because KJN says to do it that way.
There are lots of little variations you will see, both in KKW schools (though it will be argued that you shouldn't) and in schools/systems/orgs that have split off.
Our students that want KKW certification are expected to be able to perform Koryo to the KKW standard in addition to the MDK standard.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding standards, I respectfully disagree with Dirty Dog - Moodukkwan supports the official Kukkiwon syllabus, so although his dojang may do it differently - that isn't doing it "to the MDK standard".

If you're talking about the MDK Social Club in Korea, then yes, you are correct. Like most (I suspect all, but I am generally hesitant to use absolutes or sweeping generalities) of the groups assimilated (and devalued) by the Borg, they do rubber stamp anything the KKW says.
If you're talking about Moo Duk Kwan organizations (some of which teach TKD, some TSD, and some SBD) that actually have a curriculum and standards and have not been assimilated, then you're wrong in a large number of cases. Those teaching TSD and SBD, obviously, completely ignore the KKW. And at least some of those teaching TKD have their own standards. We certainly do.
Our stances are not the same as KKW stances, for example. We teach the Palgwae forms by default, as another. And there are differences in how we do the yudanja forms.
As I have said before, those wishing KKW certification are required to learn the KKW curriculum in addition to the MDK.
So we certainly do have different standards in our MDK organization. And I believe we teach to them. Our KJN, who either visits for or reviews recordings of every Dan promotion seems to agree, as do the Seniors from our org who visit our dojang.
I should, though, have said "our Moo Duk Kwan org" rather than the more sweeping generic term. There is no single "Moo Duk Kwan standard" because there is no single MDK org.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've learned the kihap in 3 places over the past 30-odd years. 1) The 2nd Arch hand. 2) The 2nd front kick. 3) The knee break.

It's hard to get used to the differences in what company I'm keeping at the moment.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've learned the kihap in 3 places over the past 30-odd years. 1) The 2nd Arch hand. 2) The 2nd front kick. 3) The knee break.

It's hard to get used to the differences in what company I'm keeping at the moment.

Looking over my notes, it was the 3rd hand arch, rather than the second.

Latest Discussions