knifefoot

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bignick said:
sounds good...that's what so great about the board...we've all got our differences...for instance my school doesn't teach twist kick...at least not that i've seen

We just started learning it this year and haven't practiced it very much. So I guess that's why I'm bad at it. Plus, I think I'm missing something in that as my flexibility is good, but my kick is not very hard. Guess that discussion should go on "twist kick" thread. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Is that that TKD Encyclopedia that General Choi wrote? I should probably take a look at thing at some point.

Well, I guess I didn't really understand bignick's description, but you and I seem to also have different terms for the some of the same kicks Marginal. What you've described as a footsword, and reverse footsword, are what I'm used to calling an outside crescent kick and an inside crescent kick.

I'm not sure what kind of "crescent" kick impacts with the sole of the foot.

As it's described in our system, a crescent kick is purely defensive in nature. It has no offensive application at all. It hits with the sole of the foot, and there is no recognized reverse crescent. The verticle kick differs by the attacking tool and the lack of an arcing motion. It's supposed to ideally be a straight horizontal line motion. (Though the elevation can vary.) Foot's always pointing straight upwards. No snapping motion, more of a full leg movement once the hips set things in motion, no rechamber etc.

Eh, you're right though. It's mainly a difference in terminology.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bignick,

I believe you are describing a side kick executed straight forward from a front stance using the edge of the foot. This technique is not as strong since the kick energy disseminates along the edge of the foot rather than than being driven in by the heel. We do that kick, just with the heel. It is possible to execute it as a side kick block though (using the side kick as a block).

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
perhaps...after thinking it over, the best way i can describe it...the action is very much like a snap side kick using the edge of the foot...but without turning your body to the side..kind of a cross between a front kick and snap side kick...

thanks to everyone for sharing...obviously words can only describe so much...i appreciate learning a little bit about everybody else's style

Latest Discussions