How do you chamber a side kick?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too change side, usually based on what the opponent is doing. A lead leg faint is a good tactic. We often practice a double kick where the first kick is essentially a feint or setup for the second kick. A lead leg side kick is the best way to stop a hard charge with a kick, IMHO. It can be powerful enough to put someone on their backside if timed right. The body should also be centered enough during/after the kick to follow up quickly with another technique. There are probably as many variations of a lead leg kick as rear leg. It is definitely a practice/repetition thing.

Its a thing of beauty when you see a sidekick to the chest lay someone flat.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have one to teach. I've started working on one, but I'm not very good with it - not even good enough to understand where it would fit into my curriculum and tactics. If I ever get it serviceable, I'll likely add it to my curriculum.

I'm actually hoping I might get some help from the Karate folks at the new dojo I'll be teaching at.

The front leg side kick works a lot like how you use the front snap kick - it's good for blocking an opponent's momentum. There's also the step-behind side kick which is pretty good for closing distance.

Front leg kicks are used a lot in Taekwondo, although a big reason for that is that we're tagging for points. There are subtle ways you can improve the power of them (most of those start with a motion from the rear leg). A rear kick will be stronger, but the front kick is faster and more likely to hit the target.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Front leg kicks are used a lot in Taekwondo, although a big reason for that is that we're tagging for points.

The front leg generates a lot of power as well. I've seen an arm broken by one and we had a competitor this last weekend have her ribs broken with one.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The front leg generates a lot of power as well. I've seen an arm broken by one and we had a competitor this last weekend have her ribs broken with one.
I had 3 TKO's in the state and nationals tourneys from a front leg side kick to the body, and they were wearing a hogu. One had broken ribs. One was a dislocated shoulder. If you have good power, it is all about the timing.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you chamber your side kick by bringing your foot up or knee up?

• Foot up: bring your foot up and keep it next to your leg, with your heel right next to your knee or thigh.
  • Knee up: bring your knee up to your chest, so your heel is in front of your hips.
I tend to chamber foot up, but I've seen people chamber knee up. I chamber foot up because it keeps everything along a single axis. Which do you do, and why do you do it that way instead of the other?
Knee up. Much stronger kick.

We have a drill that we do called fire hydrant sidekicks. Go down on all fours. Chamber your right leg for the sidekick. If it's done correctly, you'll look like a dog on a fire hydrant. Extend the kick, then rechamber back to the start position, then set the leg down. 50 on each side is a great workout.

Here's a great video emphasizing the entire process.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knee up. Much stronger kick.

We have a drill that we do called fire hydrant sidekicks. Go down on all fours. Chamber your right leg for the sidekick. If it's done correctly, you'll look like a dog on a fire hydrant. Extend the kick, then rechamber back to the start position, then set the leg down. 50 on each side is a great workout.

Here's a great video emphasizing the entire process.
Hmm, the Martial Art Burpee!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joe Lewis luv'd to grab the sleeve (That is why he kept his short) to keep people from getting away and do the lead leg kick.

Latest Discussions