Knee down in front of a stranger

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My teacher never taught the following take down to his students. One day I asked him why. He said, "What dignity do you have if you knee down in front of a stranger?"

Was he the only person on this planet who felt this way?

What's your opinion on this?

little-inner-hook.gif

single_leg.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said, "What dignity do you have if you knee down in front of a stranger?"
Personally I think this is a strange sentiment to have if the technique is effective. I suppose there may have been a cultural norm in the mix, or something?

I am reminded of a story I read in a well-written book on capoeira. Whether or not this story was taken to be true, or was more a part of the cultural mythology that grew up around the system, I don’t know. But it illustrates the point nicely.

In 19th century Brazil when the practice of capoeira had been outlawed and was held to be the practice of hooligans and ruffians, a famous capoeirista was causing a lot of grief and headache for the local law enforcement. A tough and determined police officer finally tracked the capoeirista down and had him backed into a corner. As he was making the arrest, the capoeirista collapsed into a weeping, blubbering heap, begging for his life. This action shocked the police officer because this capoeirista had the reputation of a tough, ruthless fellow and to see him carrying on so was a complete surprise. In that moment of hesitation, the capoeirista jumped up and slit the officer’s throat with a razor that he had hidden.

The point is, you do what you need to do, to survive. Issues of dignity and honor are meaningless when your life is on the line.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher never taught the following take down to his students. One day I asked him why. He said, "What dignity do you have if you knee down in front of a stranger?"

First, win the fight. Worrying about your dignity is around step 154 or so.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

What's your opinion on this?

It sounds like some cultural baggage is limiting your opportunity for techniques.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will hurt but it is doable.
The person who taught me my first single leg basically made a sport/street diving analogy that I always liked.

In the street you're gonna need to commit to the dive(drive) more. Forward motion, or else you're eating asphalt. Or in a diving sense, belly flop.

The mat is a safety device after all, it's saved many knees from poor single leg attempts. If you need to do a single leg in the street you better be sure of yourself.

Latest Discussions