KKW TKD, So what has really changed....

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some misunderstanding here. The article speaks specifically about the WTF rules. The WTF is creating its own set of standards/rules for Poomse.
They do not exactly match the Kukkiwons.

This of course can turn in to an entirely different conversation about whats going on in TKD : )

Thanks, Dave.

Hmm, there's an obvious question here. If there is already a published KKW standard for poomsae, why is there a need for a WTF competition standard? Seems redundant.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

Hmm, there's an obvious question here. If there is already a published KKW standard for poomsae, why is there a need for a WTF competition standard? Seems redundant.
Yep, that is what I say. But you know that thing called ego most likely has something to do with it.

See I created that. But it already existed. Yeah but mine is better. Ha ha ha...

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"why is there a need for a WTF competition standard? Seems redundant. "

As will the WTF Dan certificates about to start being issued.....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

dancingalone The WTF wants the sport side to be totally different than the KKW counterpart why no one really knows except but they hear. One of the G.M.'s I know say they want the poomsae to be more like a dance than application with higher kicks and such to show off how athetic they competitors are, whether or not this is true is up to anyone's guess.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... comprised partly of the following pioneers of Taekwondo in the U.S: Dae Shik Kim, Kyung Sun Shin, Bong Yul Shin, Kiel Soon Park, Suk Ki Shin, Lee H. Park, Kwang Sung Kim and Ri Kon Ko. ...

Nice to see these two (bolded) exceptional martial artists listed among TKD's pioneers.

I need to get a copy of that book.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"want the poomsae to be more like a dance than application with higher kicks and such to show off how athetic they competitors are"

Oh dear God!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I've retired from TKD, what the KKW wants then, now, or in the future is no longer my concern, so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

I was taught both lower (not TOO low, about twice shoulder width long) stances for stability and power AND high WTF stances for mobility and speed.

Being able to do both has served me well.

As training exercises, we would sometimes train a bit longer and deeper to develop strength. Doing a shorter, shallower stance was then "easy" and comfortable.

I fight from high stances &#8212; but if I ever need to MOVE someone with a punch, I can (and do).

And if I ever need to keep from getting run over, I can lower myself into a stable stance and keep from getting knocked down.

Whatever the official WTF curriculum demands, based on all the falling down I see from even the top rung WTF fighters, being able to do a deeper stance would surely come in handy, even if it isn't now &#8212; or was ever &#8212; required, official material.

It probably won't win WTF matches, but I would advise anyone interested in solid fighting technique to think about adding the ability to drop into a longer, lower stance to their tool box.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[yt]ZzUy1BmBmZE[/yt]

:angel:

I had heard that Brittney Spears new video was going to have a taekwondo theme and that the Kukkiwon was working hard to prepare for its participation in it. Rumor has it that she'll be wearing a dobok with a plunging vee neck.
:p

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dancingalone The WTF wants the sport side to be totally different than the KKW counterpart why no one really knows except but they hear. One of the G.M.'s I know say they want the poomsae to be more like a dance than application with higher kicks and such to show off how athetic they competitors are, whether or not this is true is up to anyone's guess.

Wouldn't surprise me, though in my opinion, the WTF seems intent upon moving taekwondo away from martial art and into sports. Who knows? Perhaps they'll soon change their name to WTE.

Daniel

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some misunderstanding here. The article speaks specifically about the WTF rules. The WTF is creating its own set of standards/rules for Poomse.
They do not exactly match the Kukkiwons.

This of course can turn in to an entirely different conversation about whats going on in TKD : )

This is interesting especially when we consider that the Korean poomsae team coaches are from the Kukkiwon. I watched the WTF Poomsae World Championships in Cairo and noticed the coaches of the Korean national team are the masters who appear in the official Kukkiwon videos. Will Kukkiwon masters begin teaching two standards of Poomsae -- one to meet ranking and Taekwondo practice needs and another for competition?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave.

I may be totally off, but I believe that the "technical" standard will be that of the KKW. But, in Poomsae competition, there is also a "presentation" portion of the scoring. I would guess that the WTF would be concerned with the latter, not the former.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Miles. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm sure someone will know and post it.... eventually.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Miles. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm sure someone will know and post it.... eventually.
When doing forms in competition there are 2 scores given. One being technical and the other is presentation. Each of the two have a max of 5 points and when combined a max of 10 points. You perform 2 forms per round and your scores are averaged.

The Technical is based on if you did the form technicly correct. Correct stance, correct block, strike, correct distance of the techniques (center punch vs. face punch, face kick vs. mid level kick and so on).

The Presentation is based on how it flowed and looked. Was there enough power, did the person use snap. Also they look for things like your facial expression as well.

There are some more things but that is it in a nutshell.

Similar to olympic ice skating. Ha ha ha.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also they look for things like your facial expression as well.

And what facial expression are they looking for? That is to ask, what scores well?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what facial expression are they looking for? That is to ask, what scores well?
I was told that they want a face that does not change much. No lip biting or face contortion of that type. They want almost a blank stare type look. It is all part of presentation. One of our dojang instructors is a USAT ref and we get all the details of the ins and outs of the do's and dont's.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was told that they want a face that does not change much. No lip biting or face contortion of that type. They want almost a blank stare type look.

Ah, good. That's how I was taught.

And I agree this is the best presentation for a form.

Latest Discussions