another kkw cert change...really?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Over the past 3 years I have received 4 different kkw certs for my students. There was the "hanji" paper one which everybody liked. Then a small one without the word Taekwondo on it. Then they made it bigger, added Taekwondo and put the new kkw embossed seal on it. Today I got the new ones. They changed the wording again, made the "kicking images" shiney and changed the color scheme on both the certs and cards.Can they just pick one style? Has any one else seen the new ones? Why do they keep changing it?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are trying to find a broad base marketing support for thier certs at the same time trying to say hey we are new modern better than the old KKW which with out an understanding of non Korean perspective which is the majority of thier marketing base on a global basis. Unless a cuedaeta again happens it will keep seeking the path of least resistance like water through the rocks until they reach a comprimise with the old system that makes them look like they have arrived or returned to the original but as thier own idea not anyone elses? Its a shame they could not incorprate the original KKW certs with in a Eastern Artisitic enlarged cert possible even with an option for additional charge for artwork which could generate additonal revenues for KKW and satisfiy the need to return to Tradition TKD values?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Over the past 3 years I have received 4 different kkw certs for my students. There was the "hanji" paper one which everybody liked. Then a small one without the word Taekwondo on it. Then they made it bigger, added Taekwondo and put the new kkw embossed seal on it. Today I got the new ones. They changed the wording again, made the "kicking images" shiney and changed the color scheme on both the certs and cards.Can they just pick one style? Has any one else seen the new ones? Why do they keep changing it?

Can you post a picture of it?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The small changes are KKW's way of keeping things authentic. If you ever get two of the same certs then you know you got a fake. Ha ha ha ha.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC, I think this one is a new one again. I have the "no Taekwondo" version, and the "shiny seal" version - but the OP then seems to say there's an even newer version.

Still want to see a pic...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC, I think this one is a new one again. I have the "no Taekwondo" version, and the "shiny seal" version - but the OP then seems to say there's an even newer version.

Still want to see a pic...
Yes I understood that. Just was saying that from the previous thread we talked about the changes being a constant. You in particular showing two different certs within a few months. Not major changes but changes none the less.

And yes a pic would be nice to see what font or addition they added this time.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My cert for 2nd Dan is on its way and I am kind of nervous about getting it now lol. I agree that changes are necessary to stop frauds and just to give things a fresh flavor, if you know what I mean. But for people to receive 3 different versions of a certificate in a matter of months is kind of ridiculous. It feels like I'm looking for a prize in a cereal box with the whole "cant wait to see which one I get" feeling.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
"That is a sign of an organization in chaos."

"or desperation.."

Or maybe they're just responding to feedback and improving it until they get a certificate that everyone seems "happy" with. The fact that the certificates are changing slightly over a short period like this may not be a bad thing.

P.S. I wrote "happy" because I think most people prefer the older more traditional design but I don't think it's likely we'll go back to that...

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I've also seen on my travels a newer version of the new Kukkiwon certs, the main difference I saw was the painted figures on the certificate were in colour. Has anyone else seen this or do they have a picture they could post online?

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, they've always been changing it. My 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dan certs are all different, and I think it's pretty cool, actaully. Although, it sounds like they're changing it a bit too often. Well, i guess it's better than not giving dam and not changing at all!

Latest Discussions