Stranger danger!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gawd amighty...
Just saw on the news where a little girl got abducted in the neighborhood we use to live in. The girl got away and seems to be fine, scared of course, but it makes me wonder how good the stuff really works we try to teach the kids in the Dojang.

I mean, kids 6 years and younger should not be out alone (that girl seemed to have been older) so a 'STOP STRANGER DON'T TOUCH ME' drill should be all that is needed, right (let alone that these kids are more at danger from the good uncle etc)

Once the kids progress to the regular junior classes we don't do any SD drills anymore...

(oh, on a side note, the Grand Dad they interviewed used to cut grass for us!)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is why it is best to teach little ones "Safety" also, then SD. Safety will develop their awareness and teach them to think and be smart.

Any program without safety is only half a program.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ever ask the kids to describe a stranger? They will give you some incredible answers that say - they have no clue. Try it. It will change your program forever.

If you really want to be scared for the kids, just calmly take the little ones and ask them "what's mommy's name? what's daddy's name? what mommy's cell phone number? Be prepared for a lot of them not to know. I have had mothers mortified that their child could not tell their tkd instructor their mother's name - 7 year olds.

We learned during Katrina that many little kids and I am talking as old as 6 and 7 answered mommy and if they knew their phone number, they did not know the area code. This is one reason it was so hard to bring the kids back home after being separated.

We don't work on holds and breakaways with the kids. We teach them - don't do stupid things like go down dark alleys, run toward people - convenience stores have cameras, scream and run. Be a CAT. A grown man cannot hold an 8 pound cat - why? They scratch and bite and squirm. If someone gets you in a car, don't put on the seat belt - be a cat in the car and get up against the honk and the steering wheel and create a fuss.

There have been so many tests where the kids have been given all the instructions - and then still get near that car. An hour after getting the whole class, the tv crews took mom and dad, put them in a van and had them watch their child who has had all the stranger danger stuff, immediately walk up to the SUV and be pulled into the car by a stranger asking directions, or help finding their puppy. We tell the kids, adults shouldn't ask kids for help.

Sadly also, we added for the teenagers, how to deal with the police - what to do or not to do if stopped. A friend had a 14 year old in the backseat of a car stopped. The kids were asked for their id. This kid had his in his boot. He was beaten by police for reaching into his boot.

The old self defense class doesn't work these days.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ever ask the kids to describe a stranger? They will give you some incredible answers that say - they have no clue. Try it. It will change your program forever.

If you really want to be scared for the kids, just calmly take the little ones and ask them "what's mommy's name? what's daddy's name? what mommy's cell phone number? Be prepared for a lot of them not to know. I have had mothers mortified that their child could not tell their tkd instructor their mother's name - 7 year olds.

We learned during Katrina that many little kids and I am talking as old as 6 and 7 answered mommy and if they knew their phone number, they did not know the area code. This is one reason it was so hard to bring the kids back home after being separated.

We don't work on holds and breakaways with the kids. We teach them - don't do stupid things like go down dark alleys, run toward people - convenience stores have cameras, scream and run. Be a CAT. A grown man cannot hold an 8 pound cat - why? They scratch and bite and squirm. If someone gets you in a car, don't put on the seat belt - be a cat in the car and get up against the honk and the steering wheel and create a fuss.

There have been so many tests where the kids have been given all the instructions - and then still get near that car. An hour after getting the whole class, the tv crews took mom and dad, put them in a van and had them watch their child who has had all the stranger danger stuff, immediately walk up to the SUV and be pulled into the car by a stranger asking directions, or help finding their puppy. We tell the kids, adults shouldn't ask kids for help.

Sadly also, we added for the teenagers, how to deal with the police - what to do or not to do if stopped. A friend had a 14 year old in the backseat of a car stopped. The kids were asked for their id. This kid had his in his boot. He was beaten by police for reaching into his boot.

The old self defense class doesn't work these days.

Yes, the program does include phone number, name and address etc, the little tykes are pretty good in learning it. I suppose it's a difficult high wire act, not to scare the kids or burst the parents bubble and still give the kids the necessary tools.
I suppose there is no complete way to protect kids

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose there is no complete way to protect kids

True, but the 'Be a cat.' advice is on the mark. For our generation it's 'Be a Tasmanian Devil.'

For me, the other two lessons are the same for any age group:
1. Get it in your head, in advance, that you will fight and never quit fighting. (For those who freeze when it's real.)
2. Learn to fight through pain/injury. You don't stop just because you're hurt.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...it's a difficult high wire act, not to scare the kids or burst the parents bubble and still give the kids the necessary tools.

You raise a good point. In my experience, this type of core self-defense instruction isn't the primary reason parents are enrolling their 5-6-7 year olds in taekwondo. How do you integrate this with the little ones at your school?

Rotating into the curriculum?
Small components of class regularly?
Separate seminar? (so parents choose whether to involve their kid(s))

Carl

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
actually they have it as base part of their 30 min lesson. A few games, some technique and demonstrating what they learned, including 'Don't touch me Stranger'

But that is the cubs program, once they get to go to regular junior class there is not much of that happening anymore.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that stranger danger is important to learn, the facts are that the huge majority, I recall somewhere in the range of 98%, of all kidnappings and over 90% of molestations are committed by family and or trusted friends of family.

You would probably be better served to teach the kids to learn the warning signs when they are displayed by Uncle Joe, or Mom or their pervert Taekwondo instructors and Little League coaches than you would by teaching them to only fear strangers.

I absolutely agree that it is most important to make sure that they know key names / addresses and phone numbers along with how to use the 911 system and to teach then that regardless of who is trying to harm them that they need to fight like crazy. Those that do, generally escape reasonably unharmed while those that do not generally end up dead.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This morning's news included a story about a crazy guy with a knife in China who injured over 20 kids at a kindergarten. It was the 3rd such incident in China this year though the news said they've executed the guy from the first incident.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I agree that stranger danger is important to learn, the facts are that the huge majority, I recall somewhere in the range of 98%, of all kidnappings and over 90% of molestations are committed by family and or trusted friends of family.

You would probably be better served to teach the kids to learn the warning signs when they are displayed by Uncle Joe, or Mom or their pervert Taekwondo instructors and Little League coaches than you would by teaching them to only fear strangers.

I absolutely agree that it is most important to make sure that they know key names / addresses and phone numbers along with how to use the 911 system and to teach then that regardless of who is trying to harm them that they need to fight like crazy. Those that do, generally escape reasonably unharmed while those that do not generally end up dead.

In addition to this, it is also important to teach children that they have permission to "tell" even if ti is on family or someone they like. It is ok to "tell" even when they are suppsoed to "keep a secret."

Peace,
Erik

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I double checked the location given in the news report (not the one from China), mind you, that's my old neighborhood, so I find it naturally pretty freaky, and very close to the elementary school there, maybe 10 minutes from the interstate...the most.

Got a mind to ask the principal, but she is one scary lady. I mean, I liked her, but she is tough...would not want to be the guy trying to make off with one of her charges...:D

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In addition to this, it is also important to teach children that they have permission to "tell" even if ti is on family or someone they like. It is ok to "tell" even when they are suppsoed to "keep a secret."

Peace,
Erik

I think that is very important.
But that is very touchy, because the evil does not reside withing our secure confines. The Boy scouts have pretty good material about that, but it's up to the parents to go through it with their kids.

Latest Discussions