KKW Bunhae

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As there seems to be a recent uptick in interest on this subject, I will post on my own thread, which I posted back in May.

Regardless of how it has been phrased, it seems that KKW pumsae are the only forms who's bunkai/bunhae anyone has any interest in discussing. Which is kind of weird, given that Kukkiwon pumsae don't have any formalized bunhae at all.

In any case, it might be of interest to others; good info and no sniping. Though the lack of sniping is probably why it ended after only three pages.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As there seems to be a recent uptick in interest on this subject, I will post on my own thread, which I posted back in May.

Regardless of how it has been phrased, it seems that KKW pumsae are the only forms who's bunkai/bunhae anyone has any interest in discussing. Which is kind of weird, given that Kukkiwon pumsae don't have any formalized bunhae at all.

In any case, it might be of interest to others; good info and no sniping. Though the lack of sniping is probably why it ended after only three pages.

This was my favourite thread of all time. Short, sweet, good info, to the point and not too much arguing. This thread was what started me on a mission to figure out just how much similarity there is between TKD and Shotokan, and just what is different about the Korean philosophy, yeokhak, balance, taekwondo as one single skill, won, bang, kak, um and yang, etc. It even put me onto serious consideration of the I Ching, which frankly has melted my brain somewhat. My Taekwondo has improved because of this thread, in that my focus has changed from the pure practicality of motion to include the philosophical and spiritual value of the motions. So thanks, Daniel.

Gnarlie

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was my favourite thread of all time. Short, sweet, good info, to the point and not too much arguing.
Thanks!

This thread was what started me on a mission to figure out just how much similarity there is between TKD and Shotokan, and just what is different about the Korean philosophy, yeokhak, balance, taekwondo as one single skill, won, bang, kak, um and yang, etc. It even put me onto serious consideration of the I Ching, which frankly has melted my brain somewhat.
I don't know about philosophy (I'm not that deep in Shotokan), though I suspect that there is overlap, but with regards to technical content, there is quite a bit. Essentially, you have what amounts to the same general body of techniques, some of which are executed the same and others of which (mostly kicks) are executed differently. Tournament rules differ greatly and of course, the forms differ.

While there is no official bunkai for Taegeuk pumsae, all that Ian Abernathy stuff works pretty will with it, mainly because, again, you're dealing with the same general technical base.

My Taekwondo has improved because of this thread, in that my focus has changed from the pure practicality of motion to include the philosophical and spiritual value of the motions. So thanks, Daniel.

Gnarlie

You're welcome!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have not been taught boonsae in any of my KKW classesn nor do I formally teach boonsae as it relates to KKW poomsae. I will teach different approaches to application of techniques and then ask students which Taeguk poomsae do we see that particular technique in. For more advance belts, I may from time to time do some "just for fun" training in boonsae just to get their creative juices flowing. However, as a whole, it is not part of my curriculum. I have training in bunkai through my Shorei-ryu classes and Kosho-ryu Kempo classes and when I teach that class I teach those. It is just not something I have done in KKW TKD classes.

Latest Discussions