Kindergartner Suspended For Haircut

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
PARMA, Ohio - A kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.
Michelle Barile, the mother of 6-year-old Bryan Ruda, said nothing in the Parma Community School handbook prohibits the haircut, characterized by closely shaved sides with a strip of prominent hair on top. The school said the hair was a distraction for other students.

Thoughts?

More

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, Parma's a bit ah, conservative....spent a year there.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, regardless of whether or not my child wanted a haircut like that, I probably would not let him get it. I mean, parents should use some common sense when deciding what to let/not let their kids do.

Now, if the school has a policy against this, and the mom did it anyway..well, that speaks alot about the mom.

Its going to be interesting, because she seems pretty much set that she's going to transfer her child, rather than keep him at that school. Most kids have to attend the school in which that particular district is in. In other words, you can't list town A as your residence and send your child to town B. I'm sure some people do it, but is it really worth the headaches?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the exact wording of their handbook.

She should move to Buffalo. Their schools allow almost anything.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the other members here... Jetboatdeath, had his daughters teacher tell him she could not come back to class unless she got a haircut, because the teacher felt his daughters hair was too long and it distracted her. (the teacher)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked a Christmas season in a mall photography studio. I probably saw at least 2 dozen kids with weird haircuts. Spikes, and Hawks, and bowl cuts, and buzz cuts. Couple of multi-color jobs too.

The hair issue is distracting to the teacher/school staff, who has issues.
The kids can care less in 99% of the cases.

Of course, the solution is meet in the middle, just don't spike it up. That's what some of the more "alt" gals I've shot do when they work their day jobs. But compromise doesn't work when 1 side wants it all and the other insists on blind compliance.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think this is pretty silly! In Alma it is a no issue as I see kid's with mohawks once in awhile. At a kindergarten age it would be absolutely a no issue as I am sure the other kid's could care less. At the middle school, high school level well if you force everyone to dress, act, have hair cuts a certain way and repress people then it just comes out in another way.
icon6.gif
(trust me the stuff I have seen)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw this story on the news at the doctors office (my dad's not mine -- I don't have one)... and while the sound was way way down (likely ... off) and there were no captions I kinda guessed at what was going on.
My thoughts ... the child is being punished (suspended from school) for something that his PARENTS chose to do. I mean what kid is trying to send out a rebellious, screw-you, go to hell message at six years old? The parents obviously chose that hairstyle for him and it's THEIR message not the kid.
The school said the haircut is a distraction for the other kids... yeah for about all of... what? 30 seconds? Maybe two minutes? We're talking kindergarten here folks... hello? Anybody home? Think McFly think!
The kid likes it so? A hair cut that way isn't going to affect how he learns one bit. Other kids are probably going to stare at it for a little bit, laugh WITH him about it then go on... provided the teacher can give a bigger (educational) distraction than the hair.
Leave 'im alone and get back to business of educating our young people instead of molding them to what YOU want them to look like... which seems to be the preference of the school that appearance matters more than intelligence.
Sheesh!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, the solution is meet in the middle, just don't spike it up. That's what some of the more "alt" gals I've shot do when they work their day jobs. But compromise doesn't work when 1 side wants it all and the other insists on blind compliance.

Thats what I used to do... if you see pics of me where it looks like 1 side of my head is shaved... that was my 'hawk laying down. When I worked, I split it so It covered both sides, when I just didnt want to go thru the effort of "standing" it I would just flip it all to one side like this:

98330527_23a0f0cf78.jpg

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember how we derided Red China in the 1960's during the Cultural Revolution..... everyone had to wear the same clothes, wave the same litle red book, look + act+ sound just the same. Conformity. Communism.

We just had a thread on teachers physically searching students...Now look at this policy in modern Amerika. Anything which may be "distracting" can be banned.

We've become a bunch of commies.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
that.............is..................ridiculus..........:whip::bs::moon::321:

thats freedom of expression and tht should teach kids to express there individualism instead of punishing them for it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats what I used to do... if you see pics of me where it looks like 1 side of my head is shaved... that was my 'hawk laying down. When I worked, I split it so It covered both sides, when I just didnt want to go thru the effort of "standing" it I would just flip it all to one side like this:

98330527_23a0f0cf78.jpg
Are you the one with the black shirt on?
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions