Kindergartner Suspended For Haircut

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you look at the kindergartner's picture shown at the link in the original post, I do not see anything distracting or disturbing about it. Now if it was slicked up and made to stand stiffly, or rolled into spikes and colored in neon, then I can see how the hair could be a problem.

Hairstyle like his as shown in the picture is not really unique, I've seen them around and they do not offer the distraction as other types of hairstyles. Of note in the article, the mom has apparently allowed this hairstyle for her son at least three times despite being warned, so I can understand how this would be viewed by the school as a problem of non-compliance.

- Ceicei

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you the one with the black shirt on?
icon10.gif

No I am the goat.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a horrible hair style, but most little kids just look adorable no matter what the hair style....even the little bratty kids look adorable. But but the time they grow up to look like their parents, they're no longer adorable; their brows are furrowed, their eyes are narrowed and their lips are wrinkled because of all the yelling, complaining and whining that goes on today.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether the haircut is weird or not, the fact that the parents are teaching their precious snowflake at the age of six that nobody - NOBODY - can tell him what to do pretty much ensures that he'll be an ugly little bastard by the time he's sixteen.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whether the haircut is weird or not, the fact that the parents are teaching their precious snowflake at the age of six that nobody - NOBODY - can tell him what to do pretty much ensures that he'll be an ugly little bastard by the time he's sixteen.

Or its teaching the child that what you do with your body is your choice, you are free to express yourself, this IS america.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most likely.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or its teaching the child that what you do with your body is your choice, you are free to express yourself, this IS america.

True, however, when this child enters the real world, and goes out to find a job, he will most likely be limited as to what he/she can do. Now, if he wants to get a job as a bouncer or tattoo artist, then fine, but if he wants to go out and become a doctor, lawyer, police officer, insurance or car salesman, etc., chances are, he won't have much luck.

Hey, if someone allows their child to dress like that, who am I to say otherwise. Its not effecting me. In the end, each person controls his/her own actions.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, however, when this child enters the real world, and goes out to find a job, he will most likely be limited as to what he/she can do. Now, if he wants to get a job as a bouncer or tattoo artist, then fine, but if he wants to go out and become a doctor, lawyer, police officer, insurance or car salesman, etc., chances are, he won't have much luck.

Hey, if someone allows their child to dress like that, who am I to say otherwise. Its not effecting me. In the end, each person controls his/her own actions.

Heaven forbid when he "grows up" he'd cut his hair "normal". I work in a Hospital and I had mohawks and visible tattoos. I know how to look respectable when I go to work... It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting thread that I've not looked at until now :eek:.

Appearance does matter but it's a question of how and where you chose to vary from the norm.

In my own case, I have no doubt that my choice to wear my hair very long has had an impact on my career - the double-takes at the chap in a suit with hair down his back are priceless tho'.

People do remember me too and not necessarily negatively. We've had calls to the company from clients along the lines of ... " Can I talk to that engineer with the long hair who does control systems? The one who knows what he's talking about." :lol:. Of course I flatteringly invent dialogue there but you get the picture :).

When it comes to childrens haircuts tho', I'm with the army on that one. Short and clean. They've got plenty of time to rebel and be obnoxious, don't turn them into 'Kevin's' prematurely.

P.S. For our transatlantic friends, a 'Kevin' is a term for "stroppy 'teen" that arose from a characature creation by one of our better comedians.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, a "Kevin" is a "stroppy"........ leave it to the Brits to define one term we don't understand with a second, even more confusing one.:jaw-dropping::D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, a "Kevin" is a "stroppy"........ leave it to the Brits to define one term we don't understand with a second, even more confusing one.:jaw-dropping::D

LOL! I often find myself taking notes when Sukerkin posts. The signature says it all.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heaven forbid when he "grows up" he'd cut his hair "normal". I work in a Hospital and I had mohawks and visible tattoos. I know how to look respectable when I go to work... It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Well, thats good to hear John, however, that doesn't mean that everyone else is going to have the same common sense. I suppose every work place is different, as well as the position one holds in that place. Someone who works in maintenance compared to a surgeon...well, it shouldn't take rocket science to figure that out either. :)

Now, before you think or feel that I'm pointing fingers at you, thats not the case. I don't know what you did at the hospital, I was simply using that as an example. It can apply to anything....a restaurant for example. Someone acting as the dishwasher or person 'behind the scenes' compared to someone who waits on the tables or greets the people as they enter the establishment.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL! I often find myself taking notes when Sukerkin posts. The signature says it all.

ROFL - All I can assure you is that I don't do it on purpose :D.

To redefine "Stroppy" in other words is a bit difficult. It means someone who is unreasonably bad tempered or difficult to deal with because everything is seen in the worst light. Around the Midlands area it is almost always used with either "'Teen" or "Cow" when referencing an ill behaved teeanager or disliked female (strangely "Stroppy cow!" is usually only used by other females).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just jumping into this way late but:

all school systems have their own regulations on dress codes. Some of them are unreasonable and seem stupid to many while others make some kind of sennce to most. I can remember being kicked out of school for wearing a shirt that had no collar on it seems the school did not like what my parents bought me ( yea they backed down after the threat of a court case)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, thats good to hear John, however, that doesn't mean that everyone else is going to have the same common sense. I suppose every work place is different, as well as the position one holds in that place. Someone who works in maintenance compared to a surgeon...well, it shouldn't take rocket science to figure that out either. :)

No, and its not you either, but there is a HUGE amount of "well, look at you Mr. Unemployable" bias... and its true, there are idiots who look like "that" as much as their are idiots who will show up in a suit and tie, but then go home and smoke a joint the day before their employment drug test too... :idunno:

The real fact of the matter is that it is a rediculous stereotype bias... I know doctors here with Tattoos. I know salesmen with tongue piercings, I know IT pros with Mohawks... face facts... if you can put aside your leather and chains, lay your spikey mohawk down from 9-5 and cover your tattoos, (meaning they arent on your face) you can have the opportunity to get any job you have the drive and training to get. How you choose to look OUTSIDE your professional environment has NO berring on that. It's silly to assume otherwise... It's like saying a person who wears a suit on a date on saturday night isnt capable of being a mechanic, or a person who wears overalls to a fair on the weekends can't be a buisness man, or a woman who wears sweatpants and a swearshirt when shes not at work is a poor lawyer. Its NO different.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, and its not you either, but there is a HUGE amount of "well, look at you Mr. Unemployable" bias... and its true, there are idiots who look like "that" as much as their are idiots who will show up in a suit and tie, but then go home and smoke a joint the day before their employment drug test too... :idunno:

The real fact of the matter is that it is a rediculous stereotype bias... I know doctors here with Tattoos. I know salesmen with tongue piercings, I know IT pros with Mohawks... face facts... if you can put aside your leather and chains, lay your spikey mohawk down from 9-5 and cover your tattoos, (meaning they arent on your face) you can have the opportunity to get any job you have the drive and training to get. How you choose to look OUTSIDE your professional environment has NO berring on that. It's silly to assume otherwise... It's like saying a person who wears a suit on a date on saturday night isnt capable of being a mechanic, or a person who wears overalls to a fair on the weekends can't be a buisness man, or a woman who wears sweatpants and a swearshirt when shes not at work is a poor lawyer. Its NO different.

Good point with the stereotyping. Interestingly enough, my father in law owned a tree service businesss. Basically, he'd clear large areas for commercial builders, etc. He was right out there with his crew. Obviously his work clothes consisted of tshirts, jeans, etc. I remember one time he went to purchase a new truck. He went to the dealership in a tshirt and jeans. Needless to say, the salesman really didn't give him the time of day, yet my father in law was prepared to pay cash for this truck. Now, should he have had to dress up in a suit to look at vehicles?Hey, how someone dresses isn't effecting me. I have friends with piercings and tats...doesnt bother me. In the long run, its going to matter on what the employer wants. If they allow mohawks as long as they're not 12in. high on the persons head, great. Some may allow it, some may not. :)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is the way I see it, too. I am probably the most nondescript member here, ranging from business very casual to slept in that. If I can do this, everyone else can make their own calls for themselves.

I manage close to 100 people, and they work in what they are comfortable in. I have my own first rule of management: Happy people work better. People who are comfortable and viewed in terms of work performance instead of looks, are happy people. I do not care what they look like, I am running an office not a dating service.

All that said, I do know managers who still judge by 'the shine on his shoes' rule of half a century ago. Best to know your employer and make appearance decisions accordingly.

Latest Discussions