Kicks...

Karate_Warrior

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello.
I was wondering if someone have a list or a link to a list of all the
martial arts kicks???? or a list of some kicks?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello.
I was wondering if someone have a list or a link to a list of all the
martial arts kicks???? or a list of some kicks?

Many arts have a listing for their own art - but since many arts use different names for the same or similar kicks, or have different definitions of kicks that use the same name, it would be quite a feat to be able to list all of them... and then many kicks have variations, so at what point to you call a variation a new kick? What if one art considers a kick a variation, another considers it a different kick, a third considers it something other than a kick (a sweep, for example), a fourth considers it an illegal technique and doesn't teach it, and a fifth doesn't acknowledge it at all? A massive task requiring in-depth knowledge of quite a few arts... but it would be cool if someone could do it!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some for your start with with.
Foot Sweep
Ashi Barai
Foot Sword
Ashi Gatana
Stamping Kick
Fumikomi Geri
Knee Strike
Hiza Geri
Ax Kick
Kakato Geri
Snapping Kick
Keage Geri
Thrusting Kick
Kekomi Geri
Front Kick
Mae Geri
Front Thrust Kick
Mae Geri Kekomi
Front Snapping Kick
Mae Geri Keage
Roundhouse Kick
Mawashi Geri
Roundhouse Kick (using the instep)
Mawashi Seashi Geri
Cresent Kick
Mikazuki Geri
Double Kick
Nidan Geri
Consecutive Kicking
Ren Geri
Jumping Kick
Tobi Geri
Toe Kick
Tsumasaki Geri
Back Kick
Ushiro Geri
Back Thrusting Kick
Ushiro Kekomi Geri
Back Snapping Kick
Ushiro Keage Geri
Side Kick
Yoko Geri
Side Snapping Kick
Yoko Keage Geri
Side Thrust Kick
Yoko Kekomi Geri
Spinning Back Kick
Mawari Ushiro Geri
Spinning Hook Kick
Mawari Kake Geri

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a good start there Mr. Fisher. And it is truly a very tall order. With all of the XMA guys making up new kicks every day I don't think you could ever have a comprehensive list.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It kind of depends on what you define as different kicks, too.

For example, I tend to think of a roundhouse with ball of the foot and a roundhouse with the instep, roundhouse with back leg and roundhouse with front leg, roundhouse at the knee, roundhouse at the head, as all just variations of the same kick: the roundhouse.

But then, I consider a front thrusting kick with ball of the foot and front snap kick with ball of the foot as different kicks :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The nice part is? ...Most of us kick with our LEGS! The right and left leg. (there is a front part and back part too...sides don't count..cause it is a part of the front side or back side?).

Not to mention the top part of our leg and bottom part. Most legs come with a foot (two or more are call FEET ).

Listing of all the kicks possible...endless.....(beaware of BIGFOOT)......Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a good start there Mr. Fisher. And it is truly a very tall order. With all of the XMA guys making up new kicks every day I don't think you could ever have a comprehensive list.
Well I am not concerned about the XMA guys making up kicks I am concerned about the traditional methods and making them work well.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many years of training and research. Very few of the kicks on the list have to be perfromed higher than the waist.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Would many of them refer to a change in the weapon used(eg part of the foot) rather than a change in the angle or attack motion?
In some cases but few mostly the change in the way they are done. Some snapping (keage) in which you are snapping the kick using the knee and partial hip. Thrusting (kekomi) uses thrusting using the hips. Mawashi geri or roundhouse kick it changes the striking surface based on which variation but technically it is the same kick.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I am not concerned about the XMA guys making up kicks I am concerned about the traditional methods and making them work well.

That is good with me, I just wanted to make everyone aware of the large task that this would entail.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many arts have a listing for their own art - but since many arts use different names for the same or similar kicks, or have different definitions of kicks that use the same name, it would be quite a feat to be able to list all of them... and then many kicks have variations, so at what point to you call a variation a new kick? What if one art considers a kick a variation, another considers it a different kick, a third considers it something other than a kick (a sweep, for example), a fourth considers it an illegal technique and doesn't teach it, and a fifth doesn't acknowledge it at all? A massive task requiring in-depth knowledge of quite a few arts... but it would be cool if someone could do it!

Amen—but you know, I'd be happy just to have all KMAs, or even just different TKD authors, use standardized terminology for kicks—well, for all techs. It's probably a bit better when you encounter Korean terminology, but even there, I've seen different Korean names for/descriptions of the same movements, and I've no idea whether the reason is that there are significant variations between the techs that occasion the different Korean names, or if it's just a matter of different conventions—in English, the same kick will be variously described as a `roundhouse kick' or a `turning kick', denoting the same (family of) kicks in either case, and there are other examples; probably the same thing happens in Korean as well.

Something for KMAs comparable to the standardized Latinate genus/species names that biologists use to identify lifeforms—it could be English-based or Korean-based, I wouldn't care—would make it so much easier to follow complex technical discussions..

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree on standardized terminology within the Japanese / Okinawan Arts and the Korean Arts. If the art is from that country of origin it makes sense that the same terminology would be used but it goes back to interpertation again. Other great thing I love about the martial arts.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree on standardized terminology within the Japanese / Okinawan Arts and the Korean Arts. If the art is from that country of origin it makes sense that the same terminology would be used but it goes back to interpertation again. Other great thing I love about the martial arts.

I don't have any wish to try to impose a standard terminology on any authors, and besides, it wouldn't work; but it's true that the Okinawan, Japanese, and Korean arts share so many specific techniques in common that it just... makes sense for there to be a common set of terminological conventions for them. Anyone who's writing about these arts is presumably trying to communicate with maximum clarity, right? So it seems as though everyone's interests would be served with such a common technical vocabulary.

The fact that it would be a very sensible and constructive policy, of course, in no way guarantees that it will ever happen...:rolleyes:

Latest Discussions