Kicking set help...

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, I was simply making the point that if we change the beginning of the fourth side to eliminate repetition and practice "flow," from a roundhouse to a spin back, we've just shifted where the repeat is...

I liked your suggestions. Still, there may be a very good reason for the "box," that has to do with line reinforcement in sparring/fighting...and for this, I'd refer you back to the previous posts.

Briefly--perhaps the prob with the roundhouse back/other changes is that they wipe out something about the set's creation/variation of a line...

But then, I tend to be repetitive.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcence
A couple of observations:

(1) Don't be so hard on the Rusty One for asking her question. Kicking Set (and many other cataloguing sets) embody what I don't like about such sets -- the need to memorize too dang much for the sake of memorization. I took her quesion as "Give me a key to remember the sequence", not "What is the exact sequence?"

Rusty is one of our students, she, at the time of the question was just shown kicking set. And as you can see above, there are such a variety of answers that abound 'out there' so for her own benefit and ours, We ask our students not to question on the boards when it pertains to our own I.K.K.O. curriculum, but come directly to the Instructors first.
:)

*Snip*
(6) Is it just me or does anybody else think KenpoTess' picture looks like Angelina Jolie?

Derek

uhhh methinks it's just you ;)

Tess

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, that graphic used to be on the old John Sepulveda site. It was created by me as a visual aid for my students and he wanted it on his Association web page. I failed to put it back up when I designed the new http://akts.us site.

I just loaded it onto my site at http://www.kenpo-texas.com/kenposets.html#Kicking%201

Hope it is helpful.

Oss,
-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by parkerkarate
I do not mean to be rude...........
but, the whole form is done in a square not a circle. To clarify what someone said before.

Then don't be.

Yes, the original form follows a "box pattern" which was designed by Tom Kelly as a kicking exercise or drill years ago.

Evolution has, for those knowledgeable in Ed Parker's KENPO, grown and understand expanded principles, which allow form many additional versions, patterns or options, {Such as Mr. Ence has mentioned} which can follow a :
Box Pattern
Straight Line
Figure 8
Advancing and covering back and forth
Triangle
and yes a circle.

Many additional "prefixes, suffix's, inserts, or other aspects" [see equation formula] can be utilized to further develop the student mentally and physically.

:asian: