Kick advice

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like some advice for my kicks and some feedback on how they are speed and power wise and how I could improve them thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically looks good to me, Shadow. One thing, though: I notice that your striking surface is pretty high on your leg—it's kind of along your shinbone. That means that you're getting less impact than if the foot were your striking surface (your lower leg is traveling more slowly than your foot, at the same point in the arc, eh?) Keep the good hip rotation you've got, but make the rotation of your chambered leg dead parallel to the floor, and try to nail the bag with your instep, or the ball of your foot, and see if you feel a greater impact on the target...

OP
S

Shadow tkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Basically looks good to me, Shadow. One thing, though: I notice that your striking surface is pretty high on your leg—it's kind of along your shinbone. That means that you're getting less impact than if the foot were your striking surface (your lower leg is traveling more slowly than your foot, at the same point in the arc, eh?) Keep the good hip rotation you've got, but make the rotation of your chambered leg dead parallel to the floor, and try to nail the bag with your instep, or the ball of your foot, and see if you feel a greater impact on the target...

Thanks for the tips

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
They are good powerful kicks, maybe not the best for sparring though. The reason is because the are easy to see coming, a good opponent will be able to get out of the way before you reach the target. As well, your arms open up a bit, leaving your body open for a good counter. But if you are strictly going for power then they are good kicks.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir,
Not bad however;

In the clip you always stepped forward just prior to the kick and slightly move the kicking side should back just a bit, big telegraph. Your arm on the side you are kicking on moves a bit to far to the back. Should be closer to the kicking leg. Arm has mass, mass is weight, if the arm is moving back and away from the target momentum is taken away from the target. I personally perfer the shin as a striking object, less speed but much more mass, larger bones don't break as easily as the many small bones in the foot. Your upper body leans away, again mass moving away from the target. Very good piviot on the support leg but I suggest not bending the knee quite so much. Kicking side shoulder should cover the chin and opposite side arm should cover the ribs and face. Work on your balance, after the kick you should be able to recover without stepping forward. Did this well with your left kicks, Rt kicks you always stepped forward with your legs close together. Good way to get both legs clipped out from under you.

Keep working on it was better form from the last time you asked.

Danny

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Three things that I noticed was that you also telegraph your kicks with your hands, they tend to drop just a couple inches right before you kick. The other thing is KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!! You hands drop everytime you are throwing a kick. If that person is a faster kicker or kicks higher , you are gonna get nailed everytime. Work on keeping that guard up always. Lastly put your hips into the kick more and you will get alot more power. Kick like you are trying to drive through the target and not just snap the kick. Whip like power can hurt, but follow through = bone breaking power. Just my $0.02 .

Kicks look pretty good though. They will improve with practice.Keep it up!!!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick question, do you always drop your hands when you kick or is it just while kicking the heavy bag? You are telegraphing a bit, but not bad overall. Exile and I disagree on the striking surface, I prefer to use the shin when they are that low. It makes the kick like a baseball bat. JMO.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple of things: first, stop bouncing, as this makes you prone to sweeps or rushes, secondly, bring the back leg through the hip then turn the hip over through the waist. The way you are throwing is too far out and both depreciates the amount of power generated and as others have said, telegraphs the kick. Also, from a positioning viewpoint, try stepping to the side and throwing the roundhouse as you move to the side. This is especially effective if your opponent is moving at you. Move circular and strike linear. Lastly, keep you hands up, but relaxed, and connect your upper body to your kicks using your waist as the fulcrum. This will provide the penetrating power and fa jing needed to get through an opponent's guard.

Just a few suggestions from a small man who has spent 32 years learning to close the gap, hit with power and speed, and get the hell out of the way at the same time....LOL!!!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Need to strike the target with certain part of the leg or foot. Not just anyplace. Like arjuna striking the eye of the fish one must aim for and exact point. With enough practice, i guess you can still double the power although the kicks already seems strong, but i think that with training, the kicking power can be doubled.
Also, it is hard to comment on the roundhouse because it is a rather simple kick. I would tries various kicks and combos just to get a better feel for kicking. Also, i would try the roundhouse from different angles such as for example, even with a rather low kick to the legs, it is possible to come up almost to hip level and then bring the kick down on the target. So i would experiment with the angles and work on focusing the power.
Do burst of kicks with the intention of not telegraphing and also practice regaining balance quickly as it sounded was being instructed at the end of the video..

j

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well from my point of view you telegragh and also have very little balence when kicking, it needs alot of work to fine tune it and it will be a journey. I wish you the best in your training and remember power comes from proper leg movement more so than brut strength

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a couple things I want to bring up:

You're WAY to high up on your kicks. I know some people prefer to use the instep and others prefer to use the shin, but if a guy goes to block the way you're kicking, these videos could far too easily be you.

As far as speed and power they're pretty good, but the way you're kicking, your shoulders and hips are moving contradictorily. It's not pronounced, though. for the most part through the kick your shoulders and hips are moving in tandem. It's that guard drop and throw back of the opposite hand that's pulling you off at the last minute.

Remember, just as a good punch begins from the feet, a good kick begins from the head. Just by keeping your guard up, you'll be able to fix this a good deal.

One last thing: be ware about trying for too much "power" in the kick. Based on the targets available, you need to work on power "transfer". The longer your leg stays in contact with the target, the less power is transferred to the target. You would benefit from really getting a whipping action from your kick. In you come out really fast, but your recoil is lacking. One way I train this is I kick out as slow as possible and pull back as quick as possible. It trains your muscles different, and evens out the kick. Also, chambering the kick up, and chambering back will help a lot as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shadow,

1. Lean back farther (not a huge amount but farther.)
2. Keep those hands up, always!
3. Sometime slow down to a real slow motion kick (helps balance), other times lighting fast.
4. Sometimes just touch the bag, other times plaster it.
5. Look at your striking leg after you hit the bag. What do you do with it? Are you setting it down so to set up another kick? That is, say do that round house, and when you plant that foot down, turn the heal inwards to set up a roundhouse for the other leg, or turn the heal outwards for a back kick or spinning heal kick. Learn to make it second nature to set your self up for another kick or punch.
6. Learn to skip that kick in. That is, just as you are throwing it skip the supporting leg forward to give you another 4 inchs or more of range.

Hope that helps.

Deaf

Latest Discussions