Brainstorming Mobility Training

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello! I am super new to this site and this is something that's been rolling around in my head for a while, so I wonder if anyone can assist me.
I am looking to improve the quickness of my general movement. Not strikes, not running speed, not power. I'm looking too, for example, have quicker footwork, slips, and blocks.
Or, for another example, not so much the speed of the kick, but the time it takes for me to bring my foot up, kick, and put it back. Obviously, I could just do a lot of kicking stuff and I would improve. But I'm used to that and I feel like I'm not advancing as quickly as I should. so I want things like.... ladder steps.

And I don't mean just for kicking. Any general movement, primarily for defensive purposes.

So far I've come up with some normal exercises that will improve this, but I'm mostly looking at unconventional stuff. I ended up doing something that was basically the "running man" dance move to try to speed up how long it takes for me to bring up my feet for kicks, before I realized what I was doing and I just laughed at myself.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well since you're looking for speed and agility (I initially thought you were looking for a remedy for something like arthritis or osteoarthritis), RoM exercises may not be what you're looking for. Try looking up flexibility and plyometric exercises. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Plenty of fighting footwork drills out there.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well since you're looking for speed and agility (I initially thought you were looking for a remedy for something like arthritis or osteoarthritis), RoM exercises may not be what you're looking for. Try looking up flexibility and plyometric exercises. :)

Plyometrics! Yes! I googled it and yeah that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Turns out, I do a lot of these already. Thanks for the wordsmithin.
Although, I want it to simulate stuff like footwork and blocking and etc as much as possible. Do you have anything in particular you would recommend?
I've been experimenting with free weights in the 5 or 10 pound range for blocks and general hand speed. I've also done a lot of experimenting with just swinging my body around, emulating weapon strikes with nothing in my hands. It mostly works, but it takes a long time to get anything out of it and I'm concerned that my joints will object before my muscles do. I'd like something to do it in conjunction with.
I'm messing around with some really unorthodox stuff that may or may not be effective Unproven concepts that, in theory, would emulate everything well be effective exercises, but like I said, I'm concerned that I'll be injured in the long run.
For example, I have also been trying to: Quickly draw letters in the air with my hands, parry and punch as quickly as I can for x amount of time, constant jumping and footwork manuevering/slipping, and a really goofy looking thing where I use only the momentum from my straight legs to throw me forward. It's sort of like using leg extensions to run.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Plenty of fighting footwork drills out there.

Hmm.....While I don't doubt the quality of them, I do plenty of footwork stuff already. I mostly just trying to strengthen the muscles that do the footwork (quads, hams, calves, core, and those little muscles in your feet), while vaguely simulating elements of footwork like balance and motion.
In other words, I'd like to be able to throw myself a little farther with my footwork, or be able to put my foot down a faster. Do you know any footwork drills like that?

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh. I forgot to mention this. I'd like to most of this stuff with nothing but my body and a long stretch of flat ground. :) It doesn't have to be. Anything is a good addition. But it will be easier to integrate spontaneously if it only involves my body.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm.....While I don't doubt the quality of them, I do plenty of footwork stuff already. I mostly just trying to strengthen the muscles that do the footwork (quads, hams, calves, core, and those little muscles in your feet), while vaguely simulating elements of footwork like balance and motion.
In other words, I'd like to be able to throw myself a little farther with my footwork, or be able to put my foot down a faster. Do you know any footwork drills like that?

squats
split lunges.
mountain climbers
box jumps
bear crawls
hill sprints.
hill sprints backwards
Tyer flips.
ladder sprints
sprawls.

And so on.

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My master (GM Kim) has always been focused on efficiency of movement - and so I am also. We have spend hours developing what he calls 'small muscle' training. As you said, it isn't exactly 'speed' of the movement, it is efficiency.

Personally, I consider having the hip begin the movement to be key. The knee placement in multi-kicking is one example I can think of that I have been focused on lately. We raise the knee to kick. Then, with a follow up kick, the knee can drop and has to be raised back up to generate power. But if the knee is kept somewhat still, and the hip is used to generate power - I can move from a front snap to a roundhouse quickly, but my leg-kick-speed is really the same. Does that make sense?

The other training that has improved my efficiently and quickness is Olympic Weight Lifting. I started it just to add something new to my training. I did an intense 12 week program and saw a 50 lbs improvement in my back-squat PR. This in turn has really improved my 'light footed-ness', while fighting and training.

Good Luck!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of our fighters swears by using heavy gloves and 'wrist weights' as well as ankle weights when kicking and punching pads and bags.
I agree with toddfletcher's GM that efficient movement is a good way to ensure speedier movement.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
squats
split lunges.
mountain climbers
box jumps
bear crawls
hill sprints.
hill sprints backwards
Tyer flips.
ladder sprints
sprawls.

And so on.

I needed to google a few of these too. As a pure exercise, I really like them all. I'll definitely integrate as many as I can. But... they don't simulate anything.
I recently came up with a weird one involving a bo for my forearms. Gripping the bo with one hand as far down as I possibly can, getting the whole length of the bo for striking, a lot of swings and movements really work my forearms and grip strength. Extending it out in front of me and making small circles, striking the same spot on the ground with the same strike using only the tip of bo, and holding the bo out in front of me and moving it left and right, making a 180 circle around me by only rotating my wrist. It's already improved my control of the bo.
You know that exercise they do in Muay Thai where they kick low on a heavybag with the same kick, over and over, and quickly putting their foot back on the ground? I want more of that stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I could swear that simulating in this way improves my control when I'm doing actual striking or moving. I can punch and kick harder with stuff like squats and push ups, but it doesn't seem so too much faster or better.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of our fighters swears by using heavy gloves and 'wrist weights' as well as ankle weights when kicking and punching pads and bags.
I agree with toddfletcher's GM that efficient movement is a good way to ensure speedier movement.

I've always kind of wondered about that. I've heard it's bad for your joints, but it seems like it would be great training.

Toddflether- That does make sense. Little changes like that can make all the differences in speed and power. It seems like those minor differences take forever to learn though. Like every year, I swear I have a new kicking epiphany on how I can improve it.
Olympic weight lifting? I never would have thought. Awesome. I'll look into that too. About that barefootrunning.org thing. How long does it take for your feet to be able to run so far on the road? That's awesome. I go barefoot most of the time, but I have baby feet these days because I've needed to wear shoes a lot. I've walked a few miles on the road before. Even ran one, and I had a serious blister afterward.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Orange Lightning,
I may be able to offer suggestions, so please bear with me.
What do you know about muscle contraction as it relates to basic body movement?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I needed to google a few of these too. As a pure exercise, I really like them all. I'll definitely integrate as many as I can. But... they don't simulate anything.
I recently came up with a weird one involving a bo for my forearms. Gripping the bo with one hand as far down as I possibly can, getting the whole length of the bo for striking, a lot of swings and movements really work my forearms and grip strength. Extending it out in front of me and making small circles, striking the same spot on the ground with the same strike using only the tip of bo, and holding the bo out in front of me and moving it left and right, making a 180 circle around me by only rotating my wrist. It's already improved my control of the bo.
You know that exercise they do in Muay Thai where they kick low on a heavybag with the same kick, over and over, and quickly putting their foot back on the ground? I want more of that stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I could swear that simulating in this way improves my control when I'm doing actual striking or moving. I can punch and kick harder with stuff like squats and push ups, but it doesn't seem so too much faster or better.

look up resistance bands.

Otherwise bulk bag work is a viable conditioning exercise.

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Toddflether- That does make sense. Little changes like that can make all the differences in speed and power. It seems like those minor differences take forever to learn though. Like every year, I swear I have a new kicking epiphany on how I can improve it.
Olympic weight lifting? I never would have thought. Awesome. I'll look into that too. About that barefootrunning.org thing. How long does it take for your feet to be able to run so far on the road? That's awesome. I go barefoot most of the time, but I have baby feet these days because I've needed to wear shoes a lot. I've walked a few miles on the road before. Even ran one, and I had a serious blister afterward.

My oly lifting coach claims that it creates incredible explosive power. And in the few months I have done it, I would agree.

Barefoot running is something that is directly associated with my martial arts training. Connection to the ground, better understanding of human movement, etc... I would definitely say "take it slow" at first if you are interested in pursing. Jog 'shod' for a bit, then unshod for a bit. Start on grass and sand if possible. If you have not spent a lot of time unshod, then the muscles will be weak. Focus on mid-foot strike instead of heel strike. Good luck! I love it. Also, I realize not everyone has the feet and legs for it, so take it easy until you know if it is for you. I run on gravel roads without injury. Been unshod (or minimal shoe) for years.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Orange Lightning,
I may be able to offer suggestions, so please bear with me.
What do you know about muscle contraction as it relates to basic body movement?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I didn't see your comment for some reason.

I don't know much about that at all. Have an interesting suggestion?

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My oly lifting coach claims that it creates incredible explosive power. And in the few months I have done it, I would agree.

Barefoot running is something that is directly associated with my martial arts training. Connection to the ground, better understanding of human movement, etc... I would definitely say "take it slow" at first if you are interested in pursing. Jog 'shod' for a bit, then unshod for a bit. Start on grass and sand if possible. If you have not spent a lot of time unshod, then the muscles will be weak. Focus on mid-foot strike instead of heel strike. Good luck! I love it. Also, I realize not everyone has the feet and legs for it, so take it easy until you know if it is for you. I run on gravel roads without injury. Been unshod (or minimal shoe) for years.
Is their an in-between of shoe and no shoes? I really like doing things barefoot. Heel toe one the road was what gave me blisters. I thought I would be fine because I've done some barefoot running in the woods before. (which is a different ball game. I only suggest it if you know the area)
I looked on that barefoot running site. I think it's kickass that there's a movement of people that are trying so hard to push barefootedness. I didn't think it could be done.
Do you wear shoes ever?

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is their an in-between of shoe and no shoes? I really like doing things barefoot. Heel toe one the road was what gave me blisters. I thought I would be fine because I've done some barefoot running in the woods before. (which is a different ball game. I only suggest it if you know the area)
I looked on that barefoot running site. I think it's kickass that there's a movement of people that are trying so hard to push barefootedness. I didn't think it could be done.
Do you wear shoes ever?

Yes, there are various levels of "shod". Typically it would be seen as heavy(combat boots), medium(nikes), light(minialist zero drop), and unshod(bear foot) just as a possible breakdown.

yes I wear shoes. I enjoy my cowboy boots from time to time, and living in an area with ALOT of snow, I have my snow boots. But have a powerful need to get them off as often and as quickly as possible. I also wear minimalist shoe when needed. Business don't like barefoot customers :-(

But I love the feeling of my bare soles on my DoJang mats :)

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
look up resistance bands.

Otherwise bulk bag work is a viable conditioning exercise.

I've been messing around with that too. Lots of experimenting with legs and slipping in particular.
Yes, there are various levels of "shod". Typically it would be seen as heavy(combat boots), medium(nikes), light(minialist zero drop), and unshod(bear foot) just as a possible breakdown.

yes I wear shoes. I enjoy my cowboy boots from time to time, and living in an area with ALOT of snow, I have my snow boots. But have a powerful need to get them off as often and as quickly as possible. I also wear minimalist shoe when needed. Business don't like barefoot customers :-(

But I love the feeling of my bare soles on my DoJang mats :)

I strongly sympathize. I get my shoes off whenever I can. Just feels better and stronger and faster in so many ways. And I live in Michigan, so.... yup.
Don't your feet lose their callouses from wearing shoes though? I had some all terrain treads on my feet before winter started, and now they're baby feet again.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your question concerned - to improve the quickness of your general movement.

All movement of the body is the result of muscle contraction. That's where you should look first. Get your Google on and have some fun researching it. (I'll bet it'll be fun!)
You'll move quicker right from the git go. Honest.

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello! I am super new to this site and this is something that's been rolling around in my head for a while, so I wonder if anyone can assist me.
I am looking to improve the quickness of my general movement. Not strikes, not running speed, not power. I'm looking too, for example, have quicker footwork, slips, and blocks.
Or, for another example, not so much the speed of the kick, but the time it takes for me to bring my foot up, kick, and put it back. Obviously, I could just do a lot of kicking stuff and I would improve. But I'm used to that and I feel like I'm not advancing as quickly as I should. so I want things like.... ladder steps.

And I don't mean just for kicking. Any general movement, primarily for defensive purposes.

So far I've come up with some normal exercises that will improve this, but I'm mostly looking at unconventional stuff. I ended up doing something that was basically the "running man" dance move to try to speed up how long it takes for me to bring up my feet for kicks, before I realized what I was doing and I just laughed at myself.

Well, in terms of kicking, remember that generally the higher your knee, the higher the kick will end up being. I practice 'knee-raises' bringing the knee to my shoulder ten times per side everyday. As fast as you raise the knee, you should return it to where it started just as fast without dropping it or losing control. I have found that to help me quite a bit, especially to get my kicks higher.

In terms of having greater mobility, I have found that being on the balls of the feet works quite well. In kendo, the lead foot's heel is raised high, while the back foot's heel is raised just enough to slip a piece of paper under it. I have found this great because it allows me to move quit nimbly. Keep in mind that the less surface area in contact with the ground, generally the more freely is one is able to move. I liken it to a ball on the ground- it moves freely because it keeps only one point of contact with the ground.

This is what works for me and I hope it gives some food for thought, but I encourage you to experiment until you find what works best for you.

Latest Discussions