Kenpo? why?

J

Jas0n

I asked this same Question in the Nijutsu forum. I am curious why I should take Kenpo over Ninjutsu? I do not want a flame war just want to know your guys perspective on what makes your art more practical?
I started a class in kenpo last night it was great. I have a free 2 weeks there and wonder what you guys think.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jason,

I believe your question is valid in the sense that you are looking around to see what else is offered. Many times, people just go the closest karate school and begin training. I think it is very important for students to shop around and see what is offered.

However, I think it really depends on what you, the student, are looking for from a martial arts school!

My knowledge of Ninjutsu is very limited, so to be honest I can not speak about their teachings. But as fas as Kenpo, I feel Parker's Kenpo is one of the most practical self-defense systems taught.

The Kenpo system also continually evolves with time as it should.
So unlike many traditional systems where the techniques are preserved per say as they were taught years ago, you can see changes being made to Kenpo techniques throughout time.

Finally, I think one of the most important characteristics of the Kenpo system is that the system can be tailored to the student, rather than the student to the system.

So I hope this gave you some things to think about. As you can see I favor Kenpo, but every martial art has something to offer!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

OP
S

SingingTiger

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
The Kenpo system also continually evolves with time as it should.

From what I've read by Mr. Parker, it certainly appears that that's what he wanted. But since his death, I wonder how much it has actually evolved. Can someone who's been around since before his death give any examples of widely-accepted changes that were made to the "Ed Parker's American Kenpo" curriculum after his death?

Rich

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SingingTiger
From what I've read by Mr. Parker, it certainly appears that that's what he wanted. But since his death, I wonder how much it has actually evolved. Can someone who's been around since before his death give any examples of widely-accepted changes that were made to the "Ed Parker's American Kenpo" curriculum after his death?

Rich

widely-accepted

that's the key phrase in your post. if i went by that definition, i'd have to answer with a resounding "no." but just because a change isn't widely accepted doesn't mean it's not one for the good and should be overlooked.

anyhow, this is taking the thread a little off topic and i'm sure that it has been discussed before in a past thread or two. you might want to start it up as its own thread.

on topic...ninjutsu is a controversial martial art at best anymore. if someone said they found a ninjutsu instructor or school that wasn't all they were cracked up to be, i wouldn't be surprised. on the other hand if someone said they found a ninjutsu school or instructor that was fantastic and they learned a lot from them, i wouldn't be surprised.

no one system or style is really superior to another. it's all in the instructor, how the martial art is conveyed to the student. what foundations are stressed to the student. kenpo has its fair share of bad schools, quite a large share i would say, so you can't just say "take kenpo because it's better."

many will tell you to figure out what you want in a school and go find it...well if you have no experience, how can you know what exactly you want in a school? you can't. i'd say just TRY OUT as many as you can get to easily or afford reasonably easily. i guarantee you will fancy one of them. just go from there. the first step into the martial arts is always the toughest one.

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker"s Kenpo was developed and has evolved into America's premier self-defense art. There are many variations of his art today. Find one that suits you and train hard. I have found if you have a solid foundation of the basics you are far ahead of the rest. Your first belts are really the most important in Kenpo.

EKP RIP

Big Pat:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the best art for me. There haven't been any others around the was so specifically oriented to the individual. What works for others may not work for me and vice versa. Kenpo tailors to the individual and the individuals abilities.

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
This is the best art for me. There haven't been any others around the was so specifically oriented to the individual. What works for others may not work for me and vice versa. Kenpo tailors to the individual and the individuals abilities.
I wish I knew how to explain what and how they teach at American Karete. I think its great but I dont know if its good?

OP
S

synergy kenpo

just wanted to add my two cents about wildly accepted evolution of EP's art. One of his students a man named Paul Mills is probably currently the most well noted for his continuation of the where Mr. Parker left it. He is not alone though, another by the name of Ron Boswell who was with Mr. Mills for many many years has helped also to evolve the art. Mr. Boswell is one of my current instructors and he is awesome. I know this is a little off the post subject but it was said already a lot depends on who the teacher is and how they are able to teach as to whether an art is good or not because they are all good in and of themselves.

Thanks for the time
JR

OP
J

Jas0n

I really like the place I am going. I just am leary of spending money somewhere I dont know much about. I do not have much money so this is a big sacrafice.

OP
S

SingingTiger

I'm in a similar boat, Jason. There isn't really any definite way to determine if the school you've chosen is "good" or "bad," because, as others have mentioned, what works for one student might not work for another. But here are a few suggestions for you:

1. Find out what the school teaches in broad terms (e.g., basics, sparring, self-defense techniques, etc.) and see if those are things you want to learn. Another beginner here recently posted a question about sparring, because there is no adult sparring at her school; many people feel it is essential, some others do not. See if what the school teaches matches what you're looking for. If it doesn't, check out a different school in the same style, or a different style altogether.

2. See if you can observe a group class or two, preferably both a beginner class (like one you would be participating in) and an advanced class. Do the more advanced students move well? I realize that, as a beginner, you might not be able to tell if they move "correctly," but you'll probably get a sense of whether or not they move the way you decided that you wanted to move when you decided to look into a martial arts school.

3. Visit more than one school with those questions in mind.

I think it's great that you're asking questions early. In my case, I signed up at a "kenpo" school, and then learned that not all kenpo schools teach the same material. It turns out that my school teaches an older version of what Parker taught, tempered slightly with some Tracy material. After learning a lot by reading the kenpo forums here, I've decided that, for now at least, I'm happy where I am.

Good luck!

Rich

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jas0n
I really like the place I am going. I just am leary of spending money somewhere I dont know much about. I do not have much money so this is a big sacrafice.

yep...money sure is a big PITA when it comes to martial arts. it's made martial arts what it is today...80% crap.

i believe you stated you are going to mike cappi's school. hang there until you get to take your first Huk Planas seminar (since i know Huk frequents Cappi's school). once you learn from Huk you'll have no doubt in your mind you made the right choice.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found kenpo to be a very complete art, at least for my needs and wants. I would recommend learning it first then focusing your crosstraining on more specific areas...although, if you truly learn kenpo, it is my opinion that crosstraining will not be necessary.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by Jas0n
I asked this same Question in the Nijutsu forum. I am curious why I should take Kenpo over Ninjutsu? I do not want a flame war just want to know your guys perspective on what makes your art more practical?
I started a class in kenpo last night it was great. I have a free 2 weeks there and wonder what you guys think.

ALL arts have their good and bad points. Go to each school, meet the teacher, meet the students and watch some classes. You'll know what feels right.

Cheers
Sammy

Latest Discussions