What is

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your favorite form? The one that you like to practice a lot. Mine is beginning to be 6. Each time I practice this one I start to get more comfortable with the feel of the techniques blending together. I'm just curious about your views on the one you practice since there's a variety of kenpo styles in here.

S

Shinobi

Mine is mimmicking Van Damm in Kickboxer and kicking at trees untill I can no longer stand. :D

J

Jill666

Whenever I learn a new form, then begin to "get it" it becomes my favorite. Have just learned Tekki 1. In our school, the Tekki forms aren't taught, so I learned it at another dojo. So currently it is my favorite.

The form I enjoy the most that I have had for awhile is Itosu Rohai Sandan. (spelling may be off). I simply enjoy the movement, and have become fluid performing it. :cool:

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Your favorite form? The one that you like to practice a lot. Mine is beginning to be 6. Each time I practice this one I start to get more comfortable with the feel of the techniques blending together. I'm just curious about your views on the one you practice since there's a variety of kenpo styles in here.

Mine is Short and Long Form 1. Everything else is variation on the theme.

Regards,

Dave Simmons

http://www.mnkenpo.com

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Invariably, Long #2 seems to work it's way into most of my workouts. I guess it is my favorite. I enjoy Book Set, Tiger and Crane, and really love #4, too.

S

sammy3170

I'd have to say Nai Hanchi and Tensho are my favorite Katas. I really love them all it's just that they are the ones from which I've seen the most application so there is more meaning when I do them.
Cheers
Sammy

K

Kenpomachine

My favourites so far are long four and short three.

J

Jill666

For some reason I just have never liked Tensho! Couldn't tell you why. Tiger is always fun. I have also never liked Pinan 2. For a long time I did it poorly- finally sucked it up & developed it for my shodan test (I figured showing improvement in a form I dislike would go down well).:D Ulterior motives.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jill, what type of kenpo do you train in? I haven't heard of those forms you wrote about.

K

Kenpomachine

Sound to me like karate forms. They told me the names once or twice, but I can only remember pinan now.

K

Katie Simmons

Tiger. Hands down. But I always Always ALWAYS go back to Short 1 and Long 1.

R

RCastillo

I have no real favorites. I just wish to be strong, proficient on all of them. Whatever the reqirements are, I want to meet them.:asian:

J

Jill666

I study Nick Cerio's Kenpo- east coast grandmaster who died 1998. I think Tekki is Shotokan in style, but Kenpo schools will teach it, Circle of the Tiger is Kenpo. Pinan forms, Heian forms & Hand forms I think are all similar, just vary a bit from system to system.

Itosu was a Karate Master who changed & developed a lot of material- he has been credited with developing the -sho forms in shotokan, but I don't know if that's true. (Bassai-Sho, Konku-Sho)

I'm sure many here have more knowlege of the history & can chime in.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jill,
Thanks for your reply. Those are interesting thoughts upon your forms.

G

Guy McD

Mass Attack (short 4 in some systems)

I think this is my favorite form because of the clear emphasis on the 4 basic animals.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
For some reason I just have never liked Tensho! Couldn't tell you why. Tiger is always fun. I have also never liked Pinan 2. For a long time I did it poorly- finally sucked it up & developed it for my shodan test (I figured showing improvement in a form I dislike would go down well).:D Ulterior motives.

Nice Quote. Improvement is always Good. ;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My personal Black Belt form..... all against kicks and using a wide variety of takedowns. Other than that a combo-form of the 4, 5, & 6.

:asian:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guy McD,

What system do you practice? Mass Attack, I've learned, and Short4 I've heard of as a basic break down of L4, but I have never heard of any animals being associatted with either form. Thanks for your patience.

Salute in Christ,
Donald :asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by donald
Guy McD,

What system do you practice? Mass Attack, I've learned, and Short4 I've heard of as a basic break down of L4, but I have never heard of any animals being associatted with either form. Thanks for your patience.

Salute in Christ,
Donald :asian:

Are you kidding? This place is crawling with them!:eek:

Latest Discussions