Kenpo Tourney?

J

Jas0n

Are there Kenpo tournements? How does that work? is it point sparring?
I dont know anything about it.

OP
K

kenpo12

Yes and no. Frank Tejo's IMAC Tourney is tomorrow. Even though it's open to all it's going to be mainly kenpo people. I think the closest thing to "kenpo sparring" will be the continuous or extreme sparring. The continuous is a 2 minute round with no stopping for individual points. It's kind of like moderate contact kickboxing.
The extreme sparring (If I'm not mistaken) is first "good point" and take downs are allowed. By "good point" it has to make decent contact, it can't be tap on the top of the head.
That's the closest I think you can come to kenpo sparring without hurting someone.

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by kenpo12
Yes and no. Frank Tejo's IMAC Tourney is tomorrow. Even though it's open to all it's going to be mainly kenpo people. I think the closest thing to "kenpo sparring" will be the continuous or extreme sparring. The continuous is a 2 minute round with no stopping for individual points. It's kind of like moderate contact kickboxing.
The extreme sparring (If I'm not mistaken) is first "good point" and take downs are allowed. By "good point" it has to make decent contact, it can't be tap on the top of the head.
That's the closest I think you can come to kenpo sparring without hurting someone.
so full gear? Any face shots? seems kinda weird to me? I dont know much about it.

OP
K

kenpo12

Yeah full gear, Head, hand and foot. Face shots are legal but controlled. Basically they don't want to see bloody noses or KO's but you can make contact. BTW these are the Black Belt rules.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hand and foogear, moderate contact somehow doesn't seem very um.... extreme. Maybe I'm just spoiled by watching MMA.

Are IMAC rules posted online anywhere?

Thanks,

Lamont

OP
K

Katie Simmons

I know of one tournament coming up in Chicago mid March (usually they have it St.Patrick's Day weekend, I'm not sure what the date is this year) hosted by Greg and Becky Mornar. They're both students of Al Tracy, so it's a kenpo tournament. Points are backwards - 2 for hand techniques, 1 for kicks. I'm not sure what the rest of the rules are, but you have to wear hand and foot gear, head gear and a mouthgard. It's the only tournament I go to because I don't dig open tournaments. Usually I get a better fight out of fellow kenpoists (MMA's or TKD chicks just hold up a kick about a foot from my head and win the match). And everyone pretty much knows the forms, so they're judged fairly. Plus, we usually get together the night before to trade ideas with kenpoists from other parts of the country in a casual workout. So it's always a good time.

OP
W

Warrior42

Could someone describe the different rules for the different types of competitions. I have only fought in a few tournaments. I am interested in the different fighting options at tournaments.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warrior42
Could someone describe the different rules for the different types of competitions. I have only fought in a few tournaments. I am interested in the different fighting options at tournaments.

..best teacher...... tournaments have many different rules ..... depending on who throws them, where they are, what sytle the host is... yada yada yada..... as a competitor you MUST be ready to "adapt" from tournament to tournament. That was one of the great challenges that I had. I used to go to several different types of tournaments, and try to win at "their" game and rules as well as my own systems type of tournaments.

the toughest challenge remains to master yourself.... everything else is easy.

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions