Kenpo/Kempo In Las Vegas Henderson?

J

jcraigking

I am still looking and reading...

2 Questions:

1- Can anyone recommend a good school for Kenpo in Southwest Las Vegas or Henderson, NV?

2- What is reasonable to pay?

I found schools teaching other styles ranging from 89 to 129 a month, then I visited a Tracy school in a great location with good times for me and its over $150... That's just more than I can do.

Some schools won't give me prices over the phone. There is a McDojo right across from the place I like. I am going there (McDojo) to get a price. If it's reasonable I'll talk to the place I like and see if they can give me something comparable.

I do not mind waiting a month to start and really looking at some places and comparing. I may even visit a few schools of other (Japanese) systems that are on my route home from work. Maybe I'll be suprised.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a sales hook not to give prices on the phone. They want you to walk in the door as it increases the chances of you signing up drastically. Check them all out, go to a class and see what they are like. You can take a little time to find a school and teacher you may invest years in, and vice-versa. It is ok to be a little picky and discriminating.

-Michael

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
jcraigking said:

2 Questions:

1- Can anyone recommend a good school for Kenpo in Southwest Las Vegas or Henderson, NV?

I found schools teaching other styles ranging from 89 to 129 a month, then I visited a Tracy school in a great location with good times for me and its over $150... That's just more than I can do.

Some schools won't give me prices over the phone. There is a McDojo right across from the place I like. I am going there (McDojo) to get a price. If it's reasonable I'll talk to the place I like and see if they can give me something comparable.

I do not mind waiting a month to start and really looking at some places and comparing. I may even visit a few schools of other (Japanese) systems that are on my route home from work. Maybe I'll be suprised.

Check out Bo Boxing on Trop, one of my students, Brian Hoff, teaches PT there but I'm not sure what days. On top of that, he's got tons of chicks that do the Aerobic boxing, YOOWZZZAAA LOL.

OH yea, stay as far as you can from East West Kenpo Karate with Bob Jones teaching We Shen Pai, you'll be sorry if you do.

DarK LorD

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was informed today there is a new IKCA affiliate school in Henderson called the Karate Nation. Have a looksee.

kenpomike890

White Belt
Reaction score
jcraigking said:

2 Questions:

I train at East West Kenpo karate at Eastern and Sunset. If you would like to, come by and try a class. This way you can formulate your own opinion. If you have any questions you can shoot me a message on this forum or privately.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
OH yea, stay as far as you can from East West Kenpo Karate with Bob Jones teaching We Shen Pai, you'll be sorry if you do.
DarK LorD

I second that. There is also Nevada Kenpo Karate on Boulder Hwy, they teach Paul Mill's AKKI Kenpo (702)434-7274

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
masterfinger said:
There is also Nevada Kenpo Karate on Boulder Hwy, they teach Paul Mill's AKKI Kenpo (702)434-7274

I second this one. Great instructors and nice people.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Call this number (702) 434-7274

Or just go there, Nevada Kenpo Karate Studio
3310 South Nellis Blvd. #19
Las Vegas

Tell them Les from England sent you. :)

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Les said:

Las Vegas

I'll be doing a knife seminar there on Saturday March 4th @12 noon%-}

Mikael151

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Les said:

Las Vegas

That's my school!

snshnvxn

White Belt
Reaction score
The USSD instructor is very good in Henderson but the price will kill you!!!! I know I use to work for them...

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From what I hear, the USSD instructor in Henderson is a very good instructor.

The price is very expensive (250 a month unless you sign a contract for 6 or more months). Yes, they have a contract even though they call it an agreement. I know, I used to work for them too.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I got talked into signing a 2 year contract at ussd which lowered the price to $150 which is still pretty steep. Makes me wish I would have taken the time to look into other places first. Take your time, visit different studios and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I got talked into signing a 2 year contract at ussd which lowered the price to $150 which is still pretty steep. Makes me wish I would have taken the time to look into other places first. Take your time, visit different studios and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

I agree. Find what works best for you.

kenpoconceptskim

White Belt
Reaction score
I would avoid any school that does the "contract" thing. The "contract" you sign is not with the school but with a finance company. It acts as a lender to the school owner who gets a lump sum amount for the entire amount of the contract. They payments you make go to that company.

I would seek out schools/instructors that do either month to month (at a reasonable rate) and/or shorter term agreements. I recommend avoiding 2-4 year contracts, ESPECIALLY if they are 3rd party contracts.

The main thing is to visit the various instructors, view the classes, meet the students. Observe carefully if the instructor(s) show a genuine interest in the students and teaching. Avoid ones who seem to focus on themselves and showing off what they can do. Find the instructor, system, style that best matches your personality.

Remember, you are looking at a long-term relationship (student/teacher) so it is important that you feel comfortable and have confidence in your instructor. Good luck in your search!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would avoid any school that does the "contract" thing. The "contract" you sign is not with the school but with a finance company. It acts as a lender to the school owner who gets a lump sum amount for the entire amount of the contract. They payments you make go to that company.

I would seek out schools/instructors that do either month to month (at a reasonable rate) and/or shorter term agreements. I recommend avoiding 2-4 year contracts, ESPECIALLY if they are 3rd party contracts.

The main thing is to visit the various instructors, view the classes, meet the students. Observe carefully if the instructor(s) show a genuine interest in the students and teaching. Avoid ones who seem to focus on themselves and showing off what they can do. Find the instructor, system, style that best matches your personality.

Remember, you are looking at a long-term relationship (student/teacher) so it is important that you feel comfortable and have confidence in your instructor. Good luck in your search!

I agree completly, I hurt my ankle a while back and could not go to class but still had to pay since I had to go through ABC. When that contract is up I will not get into another contract again.

Latest Discussions