Kenpo/Kempo In Las Vegas Henderson?

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since this thread has already been created I would like to ask if anyone knows of any non-Ed Parker Kenpo schools in the Las Vegas area. I know we have a few CHA-3 schools and I'm open to those as well as Ohana Kenpo that teaches both Cha-3 Kenpo and Kajukenbo. Are there any others? I found one who was masquerading as an Okinawan Kenpo school but I think someone caught him in the lie because this comment is no longer on his website.

Are there any others?

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Folks, there's a Kenpo dojo near where I'm planning to build a house in Pahrump and another in Henderson. The one in Pahrump teaches a style of Kenpo I haven't heard of before today call chogoku kenpo and I'm unsure of the other school. The second school is called Dan Hurd's Academy of Martial Arts. The other school is called Dragon Cloud Dojo. Thoughts? I should mention I am trying to avoid any affiliates of Ed Parker. I think the Dragon Cloud is safe but I don't have any information about the school. And I have even less on Dan's school although I thought I saw a post recently on facebook that hinted that he may be affiliated with Ed Parker.

OP
D

Dylan9d

WOW

Those americans make a nice business out of martial arts !!! ;)
$89 - $129 a month or $250 a month. What a ridiculous prices !!!

My students pay me €25 a month that comes down to $27 a month for 2x training a week each 1,5 hour. And I don't have contracts or a sign up fee or exams.

Yes I still have my dayjob :D

Last edited by a moderator:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW

Those americans make a nice business out of martial arts !!! ;)
$89 - $129 a month or $250 a month. What a ridiculous prices !!!

My students pay me €25 a month that comes down to $27 a month for 2x training a week each 1,5 hour. And I don't have contracts or a sign up fee or exams.

Yes I still have my dayjob :D

Prices for a lot of martial arts vary a lot in the US, mainly depending on the dojo. ie if it's out of a garage, YMCA, rented room in a commercial center, or even operating their own place. You can see prices as low as what you mentioned ($27) to as high as $250 for unlimited training at places that own their own facilities and are located in higher cost of living areas. That being said, I wouldn't touch USSD with a ten foot pole.

Mdwilson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
May not be a big help for y'all looking for a Kenpo school near BC or Henderson. But there is a Kenpo school in Kingman AZ.

I don't know much about the instructor , but I believe he was trained by David German .

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"there is a Kenpo school in Kingman AZ".

I don't know much about the instructor , but I believe he was trained by David German .

What kind of a school is it? What style do they teach? Do you have a website address for them?

Mdwilson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No website. I believe his school is called the white wind tiger foundation .

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My one experience with Mr. Speakman and kenpo 5.0 left me unimpressed. It was a seminar situation. The aspect of his system that was kind of highlighted in that seminar was what I could only describe as "misguided".

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats your opinion I would recommend kenpo karate to anybody it has awesome technique and form and it will work on th street and beside technique are idea not rule which can change anytime depending upon circumstances i just pass my 3rd degree brown dec 17 so on tuesday i learn 2 new awesome technique and they expand your vocabulary in motion

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo 5.0 is the best kenpo in vegas by jeff speakman

I won't study Kenpo with anyone who is a disciple of Ed Parker. Just my opinion but i do not like what he has done with Kenpo. He basically destroyed what James Mitose shared with him. And one of the few forms of Kenpo that has stayed true to Mitose is CHA3 Kenpo and/or Kajukembo.

Yes, you will still gain some element of defense but there's a lot of what Kenpo/Kempo is that Ed Parker removed and this has been written about extensively. I'm not going to put down either but I prefer no to study with anyone who has a direct connection to the Parker lineage. And this includes Tracey, although Tracey is a hit or miss from what I'm told.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I won't study Kenpo with anyone who is a disciple of Ed Parker. Just my opinion but i do not like what he has done with Kenpo. He basically destroyed what James Mitose shared with him. And one of the few forms of Kenpo that has stayed true to Mitose is CHA3 Kenpo and/or Kajukembo.

Yes, you will still gain some element of defense but there's a lot of what Kenpo/Kempo is that Ed Parker removed and this has been written about extensively. I'm not going to put down either but I prefer no to study with anyone who has a direct connection to the Parker lineage. And this includes Tracey, although Tracey is a hit or miss from what I'm told.

Meh, the quality is more instructor based. My kenpo rank is a mixed Tracy/Parker lineage, but I have studied under and taught for instructors in multiple Kajukenbo (including CHA3) and both Parker and Tracy kenpo lineages. It is all kenpo/kempo. I've met AK instructors that produce quality students that can fight and Kajukenbo guys that couldn't (and vice versa of course).

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you are right but again, Parker screwed up Kenpo. He was lazy and didn't want to commit to learning the full art. And then he started filling in gaps with other crap that had nothing to do with Kenpo.

This is why I am lucky that we have two kick ***, take no prisoners, CHA3 schools in LV. The school in Henderson is my preference because they not only teach the full curriculum for CHA3 Kenpo but they also teach Kajukembo alongside. And they have some of the best prices in the area. I only asked about other schools because it surprises me that in a state as large as LV we don't have more options for Kenpo. But what is today, will be changed in two years. So who knows what the future holds, right?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why I am lucky that we have two kick ***, take no prisoners, CHA3 schools in LV. The school in Henderson is my preference because they not only teach the full curriculum for CHA3 Kenpo but they also teach Kajukembo alongside. And they have some of the best prices in the area. I only asked about other schools because it surprises me that in a state as large as LV we don't have more options for Kenpo. But what is today, will be changed in two years. So who knows what the future holds, right?

Outside of the Las Vegas valley (in which I lived for 5 1/2 years), the only other really populated area in NV is Reno. LV actually has a TON of MA schools. Maybe not a lot of Kenpo, but there is a handful of Kung fu, some karate, several BJJ, etc.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well, as usual there is a lot of backstory. Mitose is a controversial character. Mr. Parker actively distanced himself from Mitose, and those who were close to Mr. Parker tend to hold similar feelings.

Al Tracy sees mitose as the ancestor of our system. I have read both of Mitose's books. His second book in particular, the one where he gets all "religious", has zero value. There is nothing in that book that is worth so much as a puddle of spit. It is so chaotically random as to be the ramblings of a madman.

I don't know what Mitose taught as kenpo, and I don't really care. Lots of people argue over these things. My impression is that at some point in his life, Mitose had a break from reality. I don't know when that happened or if he had that problem all of his life. While I accept that he holds a place in the kenpo history, had I known him, I am sure I too would have moved to create distance from him as well.

From many discussions over the years here in the forums, it seems to me that Mr. Parker could and should have done some things differently with kenpo. But I never knew the man, so that is armchair quarterbacking. I understand that circumstances in his life lead him to make certain decisions, which is something that I think we all ought to be able to relate to on some level. I no longer practice any form of kenpo so it isn't really my business.

These are topics over which heated debates can arise. I don't think it's worth it, honestly. I hope you find a school in which you are happy, and gives you a high quality of training.