Kenpo Karate 301 - Lee Wedlake

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My inbox still contains no information from Mr. Wedlake. And my mailbox still does not have a book. But, my checking account is still showing a debit.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I've seen 3 or 4 things come across my computer recently that has him bashing Mr. Planas in one way or another.

Not quite sure what happened between those two, but Mr. Wedlake sure has something in a knot over it.

Rather unbecoming of an 8th degree black to pout like a schoolgirl over a counterpart.
I spent about 10 hours with Mr. Wedlake Saturday. He repeatedly mentioned Mr. Planas in a positive way. He never said anything bad about Mr. Planas. Mr. Wedlake is a remarkable Martial Arts teacher and leader and has never acted as anything but a roll Model in the years that I've known him.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I spent about 10 hours with Mr. Wedlake Saturday. He repeatedly mentioned Mr. Planas in a positive way. He never said anything bad about Mr. Planas. Mr. Wedlake is a remarkable Martial Arts teacher and leader and has never acted as anything but a roll Model in the years that I've known him.

Jeff

Great to hear :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
My inbox still contains no information from Mr. Wedlake. And my mailbox still does not have a book. But, my checking account is still showing a debit.

What do you want him to do, create one out of thin air for you? Grow up...

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kenpo Karate 301 by Lee Wedlake arrived via first class mail today.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yay!

Hope can post a review once you have a chance to read it and digest it :)

D

Deschain

Monadnock said:
How many pages is it? Any commentary yet?? :)
Of course not, that might require him to say something positive for a change.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Deschain said:
Of course not, that might require him to say something positive for a change.

Please feel free to use the 'Ignore' function to block users.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Monadnock said:
How many pages is it? Any commentary yet??

I left for vacation early on July 1st. I did not bring the book with me. Upon returning from my vacation, I left the next morning for a business meeting, which wrapped up this afternoon. Because of this, I have not read the complete book yet.

What I have read and absorbed so far is that the book seems a bit shorter than Kenpo Karate 201 or 101, and is geared toward those that already know the forms.

The first 16 'pre'-pages have preface by Mr. Steven White (from New Hampshire, I believe), a glossary of terms from Mr. Parker and Mr. Planas, and notation and graphics of foot maneuvers. The next 62 pages break down the forms.

If I were to evaluate my own knowledge of the 3 forms, (I am a 1st Degree Brown Belt at this time), I would tell you that I have a 'pretty good' understanding of these forms. The breakout of the forms in the book were pretty complicated for me to understand. Some of this may be the differences in experience. Some of the difficulty in understanding what Mr. Wedlake is describing may be a difference in 'point of view'; what Mr. Wedlake sees is perhaps broader than what I can yet recognize in the form. Some of the challenges may also be the written word; it is difficult to describe four dimensional motion (height, width, depth, & time) in language, sufficiently covering all mechanics involved. (Mr. Planas told me in our last lesson, a picture is worth a thousand words.)

I thought the Kenpo Karate 201 book was pretty good. It is the reason I purchased the Kenpo Karate 301 book. I think the 201 book does a better job at its objectives than the 301 book is doing (so far).

And, to keep Deschain content, let me point out something 'not positive' ...

On Page 37, Mr Wedlake has a topic heading that reads "Now it's time for a test question" ... he is discussing the last 'wrist releases', just prior to Parting Wings ... He never asks the question. On the entire page, there is not one sentence that ends with a question mark. He just tells us that Mr. Parker wanted people to figure 'it' out on their own ... I can only guess he means 'What is the Question?' and 'What is the Answer?' At the top of Page 38, he begins the discussion of Parting Wings.

I continue to work my way through the book. I will certainly keep it on my library shelf. I will reference the text in the future as well, I'm sure.

Two items to note .... Mr. Wedlake, if I recall correctly, indicated the stock supply of 'Further Insights into Kenpo' is dwindling and the book will not be reprinted. So, if you want a copy, order soon. Also, Mr. Weldake indicated a book covering Form 4 is in the works ... if I recall correctly.

I hope this addresses your questions sufficiently Mike.

Mike

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I worked my way through the rest of the book last evening and this morning ... (airport lines are good for something) ...

The Long 3 section of the book seemed quite a bit easier to read through and comprehend than the Short 3 section of the book. This may be because my brain was getting accustomed to Mr. Wedlake's writing style, or their may actually be differences in the material presented. But in general, the last 25 or 30 pages seemed less obscure than the first part of the book.