Kenpo Contact Manipulation

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dominic Jones said:
Hi

Dr Chapel talked about each Stage of Contact/Range having increasing numbers of sub-category(s) as the range decreases.

That is, Stage 1 has 1 sub-category; Stage 2 has 2 or more sub-categories; Stage 3 has 3 or more sub-categories Stage 4 has 4 or more categories.

I do not believe I alluded to any relationship between the numerical range and the number of subcategories.

Does each individual Stage have 1 “new” category thus ending with 4 categories at Stage 4 or does each individual Stage have more than 1 new category thus ending with more than 4 categories at Stage 4.

No. The numerical designation of the four ranges is an arbitrary designation by Ed Parker Sr. That is he simply determined the ranges or stages he wanted to address at one level and the numerical number ended at four when he was satisfied. He began with the closest range outward and when he finished, he designated them outside in. Then he removed or failed to address information he had no intention of including in his commercial interpretation of American Kenpo.

As I have stated previously, a good example of that is “Control Manipulation.” Not included in the ranges at all, but existing outside of the simple 4 range definitions. To my knowledge it is the only subcategory he published (other than the one purposeful word Other in Infinite Insights), although others were definitely there. I think the reason for that is because many of the self-defense technique general scenarios hinted at a “Control Manipulation” component offensively and defensively.

Can each sub- category be further divided into new sub-sub-categories?

In science and almost any other categorized activity, I believe you can subcategorize and sub-reference eternally. At some point it can become meaningless or at the very least repetitive.

If possible Dr Chapel could you elaborate on the sub-category(s) of the Contact Penetration Stage.

The subcategories I am willing to publish in what is considered the “Contact Penetration” stage are;

III. Distance Three:
“Contact Penetration” (Peripheral Contact)

Sub-Level Three:

A. Contact Manipulation
B. Visual Cortex Disruption
C. Nerve Cavity Activation
D. Startle Reflex Access

On a final thought, are the sub-categories related to the 8 Considerations of Combat (Environment, Range, Positions, Maneuvers, Targets, Natural Weapons, Blocks, Cover) as Touch of Death hinted at.
Stage 1 (Out of Reach) relates to Environment, Range, Maneuvers
Stage 2 (Within Contact) relates to Environment, Range, Maneuvers, Positions, Targets
Stage 3 (Contact Penetration) relates to Environment, Range, Maneuvers, Positions, Targets, Natural Weapons, Blocks
Stage 4 (Contact Manipulation) relates to Environment, Range, Maneuvers, Positions, Targets, Natural Weapons, Blocks, Cover

Cheers Dom :asian:

No. The Eight considerations are general guidelines that can be applied to almost any competitive physical activity, sport, or interaction. The sub-categories were developed in part prior to, and without any consideration to the “eight” and have, at best only a peripheral relationship to concepts of motion based kenpo. As Ed Parker told me, You need to ".. draw a line in your mind between the two.”

Those who have come to me to make the transition, the first thing I tell them is, forget what you thought you knew. All of the many components are interactively supportive. You may not take one and "graft" it to someting else. You cannot learn just "nerves" and add it to what you do. It simply won't work. Different philosophies, different methodologies, different result. All three components must change, not just one.

K

kenpo2dabone

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Seems you guys are overcomplicating something that doesn't need to be. All other stages are going to be sub-categories of the four, and they are clearly defined. I can't seem to get past all the mystical unfolding the universal secrets and sailing analogies without a bit of a chuckle either.

Dark Lord

I can understand that you may have had a chuckle at some of Mr. Picks' terminology. I have to be honest and tell you that after my first seminar with Mr. Pick I was lost as a result of the terminology until I applied what he was teaching ona body. The actions deffinatelty spoke louder than the words. After working with Marcus Buonfiglio, my instructor, and MR. Pick the terminology is not a problem. We lovingly call it Pickenese and it does take some getting use to. I new that some people would feel the same as you which is why I welcomed questions ragrding my post.

I do not think that further breaking down something makes it more complicating. In fact I feel that it creates more clarity. Like I mentioned in my original post most people, from what I have seen, teach DS as a three step technique. Step back block, snapkick to groin, chop to neck. To take someone and teach them this with no prior Martial arts experience could be a night mare. You must first teach them how to block properly this could be a three step process in itself. Then to teach the timing of stepping back to block is another process. Then you have to break down the process of a snap kick, another three step or so process and finally a chop or hammer fist as we do it. You have to teach the proper way to do the hand formation and the correct timing with the plant of the foot. Clarity is in the details. Breaking the stages of engagement into eight catagories makes complete sense to me. It becomes very clear as to what is going on as you pass through each stage. Like everything else it is much easier to demonstrate than it is to comprehend through mere words.

Food for thought. Just something to think about whether you use four or eight stages of engagement. As you go through a technique think about how each of your weapons passes through each stage with relation to your attackers weapons. I will use DS again. (we do it for a right punch) The attacker throws a right pnch. We step back and block. My right hand (third ring) has gone through the first four stages. Out of range but in the tacticle area of response ( you are aware that action is going to unfold),in range contact (The point that the block makes contact with the arm), Contact penetration (the block went through the intended target not just to the intended target), impact manipulation (Is what happenned to the punch as a result of the block). Now our hand can only make contact to the neck but not penetrate the neck which would result in another impact manipulation. However, our foot (fourth ring) is in range for contact penetration to the groin. Resulting in the attacker height zone being affected as well as bringing the head closer (this is impact manipultion). Now that the head is closer it is in range for cantact penetration with our hand (third ring) so we hammerfist the mastoid. When the head came forward it brought the attacker punching arm into range for the fifth and sixth stages. After the kick and hammer fist I could choose break the arm with an outside to inside break (control manipulation the fifth stage) This would result in having all three zones checked and be in complete controle of my attcker which is the sixth stage (Control Maintanence). Now I can check my surroundings for additional attackers without worring about the original attacker although always keeping him in mind. I can now choose to release him which the seventh stage however he is still in range so I must extract and return to the tactical area of response or stage one (out of range).

I hope this clarifies some of why Mr. Pick broke the stages of engagement down into eight steps as appose to the original four. Understanding them gives you more options in a technique because you will understand which weapon is in which zone in relation to a particular body part of you would be attacker.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo2dabone,
I would have to agree with you on the finite, leading to a better understanding of application. Skimming seams to be a popular thing now a days and leads to partial or lack of effectiveness of the physical applications of the Kenpo tools and concepts. Well said
:asian:

Latest Discussions