Adapting Kenpo for a disability

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. One of the hardest things to do with these kind of students is to be hard on them. But in reality that is sometimes the best thing for them. It actually makes them feel like they are being treated like the rest of the student body and not coddled like they cannot do it. Trust me, it is hard but they respect you for it.
In Peace
Jesse
If anyone is in the New England area, feel free to stop by the school
www.dpkempo.com

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
RevIV said:
I like a lot of the responses that have been given so far and I thought I would share my personal experiences. I adapt the style of kempo that I teach to the individual, disabled or not. Everyone has slight differences in their mannerism, body makeup, and ability so each person does things a little different. With that said, I have 2 black belts both promoted over the past 2 years that have had to overcome some major differences. One of them has been blind for her entire life and the only activity she does has been Kempo for the past 20 years. When she came to me 5 years ago none of her previous instructors treated her like a Kempo student she could not even hold a crane stance for more than 4 seconds, so thats what we did first (she also has an obesity problem which hinders her balance) we then took all of her techniques and made them work off of a grab of some sort. I had to level with her and ask if she could hear me punching and if so to teach me, she couldnt so the initial block of most of the techniques were kind of inadaquete so like i said we moved them to touch. Needless to say after 5 years and talking to 2 of my instructors they said to me "reaching black belt was about personal excellence" and that level is graded on the person not the group. So she tested and passed. The next individual was in a major car wreck and was not supposed to live, let alone walk. he is now doing both with a black belt. So no, neither of these individuals jump through the air, but both have the heart and spirit of a black belt. Side note, the gentlemen who was never to walk, went through the entire black belt test with everyone else and did a great job, Sure he fell a few times, but don't we all, it's the ones who get back up who deserve the credit.
In Peace,
Jesse
www.dpkempo.com
Very inspirational story. Its wonderful to here of a success like that.
icon14.gif

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also loved reading about your students Jesse- thanks for posting their stories- that's awesome!! They found a great studio with a great instructor it sounds like. Not everyone would have seen the potential in them as you did. Awesome!! :)

We train with a man that is in his 80's. He can't do everything in the way of stretching, some of the twist stances, etc. but he puts a lot of effort into every class which is all you can ask of a person. Do your best- whatever that may be.

I am currently attending a new class where I am constantly being humbled. It's helped me to relate to those in class I've seen coming thru over the years (in my Kenpo training) that are trying to overcome physical limitations, etc. Cuz now I am in that position myself!!

At my Kenpo school, this doesn't apply as the mix of age is closer to mine with those older AND younger than myself and fellow knee injury folks. But last night at the new school, I was the oldest female there (at 32) in with a bunch of teens- I was also the most out of shape AND the only one with an old injury so I had my knee brace on. I'm trying very hard to ignore everyone else and just do my best. It'll be awhile, but I am determined to get back into shape (after time off to have two babies) and back at the fitness level I was at when I got my black belt 7 years ago. The little engine who could comes to mind "I think I can, I think I can.........."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevIV said:
I like a lot of the responses that have been given so far and I thought I would share my personal experiences. I adapt the style of kempo that I teach to the individual, disabled or not. Everyone has slight differences in their mannerism, body makeup, and ability so each person does things a little different. With that said, I have 2 black belts both promoted over the past 2 years that have had to overcome some major differences. One of them has been blind for her entire life and the only activity she does has been Kempo for the past 20 years. When she came to me 5 years ago none of her previous instructors treated her like a Kempo student she could not even hold a crane stance for more than 4 seconds, so thats what we did first (she also has an obesity problem which hinders her balance) we then took all of her techniques and made them work off of a grab of some sort. I had to level with her and ask if she could hear me punching and if so to teach me, she couldnt so the initial block of most of the techniques were kind of inadaquete so like i said we moved them to touch. Needless to say after 5 years and talking to 2 of my instructors they said to me "reaching black belt was about personal excellence" and that level is graded on the person not the group. So she tested and passed. The next individual was in a major car wreck and was not supposed to live, let alone walk. he is now doing both with a black belt. So no, neither of these individuals jump through the air, but both have the heart and spirit of a black belt. Side note, the gentlemen who was never to walk, went through the entire black belt test with everyone else and did a great job, Sure he fell a few times, but don't we all, it's the ones who get back up who deserve the credit.
In Peace,
Jesse
www.dpkempo.com
This is the best post I've read in a long, long time. I emphasized part of your post because this is something very important in our westernized culture of martial arts - the cultivation of heart and compassion so that we can be better martial artists, that people like your two black belts can reach out to others in the community with similar challenges and help them protect themselves and grow from their point of view, their side of the coin.

When we define excellence as a list of things a person can physically accomplish, we emphasize specific abilities and tend to dsicriminate against people who can teach and maybe not quite do. This is wrong.

Excellence and achievement is relative - most people don't like that idea and it's a real shame.

Kudos to you, your black belts, your lucky students. :asian:

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shesula and the rest of you guys are making me feel pretty good over here. I've see that some of you have posts into the 1,000's and that was only my 7th one. But thank you guys, been real hectic here at the school testing and a seminar that i am putting together has been eating up my time so thank you all.
In Peace
Jesse

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in total agreement with the others Jesse! That was an Awesome post! Very inspirational!

Keep up the great work with your students! :asian:

Mike

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Jesse, for your post. I love hearing about people succeeding against great odds.

As to the gentleman in our (MJ's and my) school, I had the honor of working with him one-on-one in class last night.

Right before class began, I saw the mother of one of my Junior students outside the dojo, who told me she overheard him telling some curious moms about his prosthetic leg and how he got it. It's difficult to understand how Fate or whatever controls such things works. He had stopped to help someone whose car had broken down. He was pushing the disabled car off the road and was hit by another car, which led to his leg having to be amputated from the knee down.

I told him I was embarrassed for the intrusion on his privacy by those women, and he told me he actually welcomes questions about it because he can educate adults as well as children as to his 'ability'.

He is very candid about what he can't do. He is also a force to be reckoned with. I thank him for teaching me things each time I work with him.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you, RevIV! :asian: I am deaf, and I am aware I present a challenge for my instructors. They have to think through different ways of how to teach me. Our training together have benefitted all of us.

- Ceicei

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
No Ceicei what you present is the ability to teach your instructors on how to be better instructors, we thank you for coming in and helping us learn while you are learing. You have strength above the normal student. Everyone has fears when they walk into a new karate school you have courage.
In Peace
Jesse

Ceicei said:
Thank you, RevIV! :asian: I am deaf, and I am aware I present a challenge for my instructors. They have to think through different ways of how to teach me. Our training together have benefitted all of us.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RevIV said:
No Ceicei what you present is the ability to teach your instructors on how to be better instructors, we thank you for coming in and helping us learn while you are learing. You have strength above the normal student. Everyone has fears when they walk into a new karate school you have courage.
In Peace
Jesse
Not only courage but tenacity and patience as well. Once she sets her mind on something (whatever it is :rolleyes: ) then she goes all out to get it. Admirable traits indeed. :asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
RevIV said:
No Ceicei what you present is the ability to teach your instructors on how to be better instructors, we thank you for coming in and helping us learn while you are learing.

You have strength above the normal student.

you have courage.
In Peace
Jesse

Very true! If it were not for the variety of students that we get we would not have to think very hard for ways to teach.

I think we can all learn from the ones who have something that would normally set the rest of us back. It is more than making us better instructors, it helps us want to give more and gain inspiration from you Ceicei.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This entire thread is giving me the warm fuzzies :)

So many awesome tales of strength, courage, and determination in the face of adversity, which are a source of inspiration and motivation to all of us.

A slightly different, but nevertheless warm fuzzy generating story is that of one of the juniors at our club.
When he first joined, he did so because his parents were hoping that it would help to improve his co-ordination (about a year and a half ago) because at the time he could literally not run without falling over.
He is now a junior orange belt, and although not the most naturally gifted, he is one of the most determined and inquisitive students at the club.
He is unlikely to ever read this, but a quick mention in his honour,
Keep up the good work Jonas, Don and I are very proud of you.
Simon

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Simon Curran said:
He is unlikely to ever read this, but a quick mention in his honour,
Keep up the good work Jonas, Don and I are very proud of you.
Simon
Thinking about it, just in case he ever does read it, the Danish version for his benefit,
Fortsæt med dit godt arbejdt, vi er begge to stolte af dig, og det er dine forældre også.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
It's difficult to understand how Fate or whatever controls such things works. He had stopped to help someone whose car had broken down. He was pushing the disabled car off the road and was hit by another car, which led to his leg having to be amputated from the knee down.
KT wow, and I just knew he was a nice guy! It's obvious isn't it?

Just a quick update, my instructor shared with me a that this student told him that he had been to a couple of different schools (different arts) and he was expected to be able to do what was required for certain moves, and he found that to be very frustrating at times. He said that the thing he really liked about kenpo was that it really could be adapted to his strengths...so far so good!

Jesse I l:inlove:ve this line too ,"Everyone has fears when they walk into a new karate school you have courage." That's very cool! :ultracool

Simon thanks for sharing that. :asian: I really like the idea of paying tribute to people like that. If anyone else has great stories about students in their schools who have had to work through something either physical or emotional, I think we'd all like to read about them, so please continue to share...

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just wanted to give you all an update on this student. He is doing fantastically! I had the pleasure of having him in my class last Tuesday night. He has all of the material for his yellow belt and will be testing soon. I put him on the hot seat a bit because of that. I expected of him what I would of any student, and he did phenomenally! His techniques have all been adapted to meet his needs and to capitalize on using his prosthetic leg as an asset. I have to say that my instructor has done an awesome job of working/adapting the techniques to his advantage. Some we have had to adapt only slightly and others, for example we have him use the opponent for added balance and leverage in, removing kicks mostly and adding hand strikes and step-ins that keep him most balanced. He is getting stronger. His hand strikes are improving and his kicks during the focus pad drills were great! I'm proud of his efforts, can you tell? :asian:

This student has a fantastic sense of humor as well. While working in a technique line he took several falls and he is a natural at rolling (more of a sideways roll) and is able to come back to a standing position fairly easily. I complimented him on this and he jokingly said, "Well, when you fall as often as I do you get good at it!" :)

The other thing is, he is due to get a new leg which is designed to work more like a natural leg and mimic the step of the other leg. This could really improve his balance etc., I can't wait to see how it works out for him.

Technology - it's amazing!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats AWESOME MJ!!! I'm glad to hear that he's still training hard!

Best of luck to him on his upcoming test!

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJ, this is awesome news. You know, I saw a black belt with a prosthetic leg compete in the IKKAs in Long Beach, California years ago. Forms competition and techniques. He did very well and adapted a little for the leg - performed very well.

I'm particularly please that you're learning so much from adapting the learning process for this man. Props to you!

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's a great learning experience for us all, but the credit goes to the student for his perseverance and hard work! :asian: On the subject of forms, that is a bigger challenge as steps in certain directions create imbalances. This will be adapted over time as well.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have taught a student who was pretty well blind couldn't see anything past an inch from his eyes. Needless to say a lot of techniques became reactive and his sense of hearing certainly helped him when ascertaining where attacks were coming from. We also worked on his touch and feel senses to ascertain which hand was grabbing or pushing and working out from this the orientation of the arm.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
I have taught a student who was pretty well blind couldn't see anything past an inch from his eyes. Needless to say a lot of techniques became reactive and his sense of hearing certainly helped him when ascertaining where attacks were coming from. We also worked on his touch and feel senses to ascertain which hand was grabbing or pushing and working out from this the orientation of the arm.
Excellent! One of the things that I am always striving to improve is my sense of timing and partially I think it's a mental block, where I see the big guys coming in with a punch for instance, and I maybe block too soon because I don't want to let them into my space. I have learned to improve on this, but it hasn't been easy. I wonder, if I had to rely on my ears and other senses, other than my sight, if it would help to eliminate the anticipation. How did your student do in terms of developing a sense of timing? Was that possible?

Latest Discussions