Keeping in shape over the summer

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have a wrestling club near your home? Wrestling is insanely physically demanding, and from what I've seen of Judo, a lot of crossover in the concepts to push/pull. Of course the techniques will be different and wrestling teaches to give your back to your opponent rather than being on your back, but the intensity and throwing principles are the same as competitive Judo, as far as I know.

I have a ton of wrestling experience but no Judo experience, so I may be off a bit.

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a wrestling club near your home? Wrestling is insanely physically demanding, and from what I've seen of Judo, a lot of crossover in the concepts to push/pull. Of course the techniques will be different and wrestling teaches to give your back to your opponent rather than being on your back, but the intensity and throwing principles are the same as competitive Judo, as far as I know.

I have a ton of wrestling experience but no Judo experience, so I may be off a bit.

There isn't, and I'm not sure if one would let a woman in. :(

At this point I'm thinking of heading over to a nearby Aikido dojo (dojang, whichever their term is for their practice hall) because then I would at least not get soft on my break-falls.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm part of a college club that, for obvious reasons, doesn't meet over the summer and parts of winter (not to mention I live a few hundred miles away and can't drop by when enough people do decide to head over to the gym). There's not any good judo dojos in my area, I was thinking of joining another martial art while I was home to stay in shape.

Is this a good idea? Or should I just do fit-ins and exercise on my own?

I was in the same situation when I was an undergrad (over 20 years ago--yikes!).

My college club was ITF TKD and my home town dojang was WTF. I kept training both styles for the final two years while I was in college but it was difficult and my instructor in college finally said that "It is difficult to ride two horses at once" and, at least for me, it was. I ended up staying with the WTF style and not continuing the ITF once I finished undergrad and that has worked out best for me.

If I had to do it again I would do what I did--train both b/c that was the only real option to keep training--but it was not easy.

Good luck!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There isn't, and I'm not sure if one would let a woman in. :(

At this point I'm thinking of heading over to a nearby Aikido dojo (dojang, whichever their term is for their practice hall) because then I would at least not get soft on my break-falls.

Where do you live?

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hypothetically (because there's no club) why wouldn't they allow a woman in? Women wrestle too.

Touche. I could look around, though I haven't seen any wrestling teams in the area aside from the high school.