Getting back on the horse (stance)

dboeren

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm returning to martial arts after a long and winding road. I did Tae Kwon Do for around 4 years back in High School to early College before I dropped off the scene. Over the years since I've done short stints of Mantis, Aikido, Shinkendo, and Kali but never really stuck with anything, partly due to moving around for work and family. Over time, the years and pounds added up until I finally said "enough"!

I've lost 117 pounds so far and recently began studying Lama Pai kung fu as well as working out at home with dumbbells, kettlebell, and elliptical. I'm on a mission to get back in shape and pick up where I left off 20+ years ago and nothing's going to stop me.

Anyway, good to meet you all!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again, welcome to MT. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With whom do you train lama Pai? I'm a tibetan white crane guy myself, there's another lama Pai guy here too, clfsean. Welcome, hope the training goes well.

OP
dboeren

dboeren

White Belt
Reaction score
With whom do you train lama Pai? I'm a tibetan white crane guy myself, there's another lama Pai guy here too, clfsean. Welcome, hope the training goes well.

I'm actually at the same school as clfsean, Atlanta Kung Fu & Sanda Center. I've read a little bit about Tibetan White Crane (and Hop Gar) while I was reading up on Lama Pai, very interesting how the three are so closely related. None of them seem to be that commonly found though, but I actually like training in something a little more rare.

As far as the training goes, so far so good (although it's only been a short time so far). Sifu seems to think I'm progressing well, and who am I to argue? :)

Anyway, I think I'm on track to take my first test in April so I'm planning to buckle down and do what I can to really nail it. It's just hard to get in as much practice time as I'd like with a 4-year-old son in the house...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm actually at the same school as clfsean, Atlanta Kung Fu & Sanda Center. I've read a little bit about Tibetan White Crane (and Hop Gar) while I was reading up on Lama Pai, very interesting how the three are so closely related. None of them seem to be that commonly found though, but I actually like training in something a little more rare.

As far as the training goes, so far so good (although it's only been a short time so far). Sifu seems to think I'm progressing well, and who am I to argue? :)

Anyway, I think I'm on track to take my first test in April so I'm planning to buckle down and do what I can to really nail it. It's just hard to get in as much practice time as I'd like with a 4-year-old son in the house...
Oh I know how that goes. I've got a 16 month-old son and my training has really taken a dive especially in the last six months or so. Very very frustrating.

I'm with you though, in that i like training in something that isn't so widely known. We've got something very special in the tibetan lineages, I do believe that. It's well worth the hard work.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just hard to get in as much practice time as I'd like with a 4-year-old son in the house...
Every day stand in horse stance for 5 minutes while holding your son on your shoulders. By the time he gets to be 18 you'll have a really solid stance. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
welcome to MT! nice to meet you :)

Every day stand in horse stance for 5 minutes while holding your son on your shoulders. By the time he gets to be 18 you'll have a really solid stance. :)
most people have two shoulders... i think :confused:... why stop at one person when you could have two on your shoulders. a good solid stance is wonderful but a very good stance is excellent :D

OP
dboeren

dboeren

White Belt
Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to lift a baby calf and jump over a seedling tree each day? Or maybe that's considered old fashioned in today's MMA-centric environment...

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's just hard to get in as much practice time as I'd like with a 4-year-old son in the house...

They grow up soon enough.
I have 2 sons, both grown. They grew up watching me and emulating my movements and both are pretty much naturals.
One day your son just may be your best training partner.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro. Congrats on the weight loss and getting back into training!

Latest Discussions