Keeping in shape over the summer

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm part of a college club that, for obvious reasons, doesn't meet over the summer and parts of winter (not to mention I live a few hundred miles away and can't drop by when enough people do decide to head over to the gym). There's not any good judo dojos in my area, I was thinking of joining another martial art while I was home to stay in shape.

Is this a good idea? Or should I just do fit-ins and exercise on my own?

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is good to experience other styles. If you have been practicing judo in would suggest jujitsu or hapkido

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See I would suggest going to the other end of the spectrum and an art that focuses on striking....TKD, Kickboxing, Boxing, Karate, etc...

I was actually thinking of taking up TKD next semester, to broaden my horizons, so to speak. My only grievances with that is that TKD meets right before judo, so I would be spending roughly six hours twice a week at the gym. Not that I wouldn't mind, but I do have classes to think about.

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See I would suggest going to the other end of the spectrum and an art that focuses on striking....TKD, Kickboxing, Boxing, Karate, etc...
Depends how much change he wants. Jujitsu has many other techniques that he has not been exposed to. Also hapkido which mostly joint breaks as well as throws

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends how much change he wants. Jujitsu has many other techniques that he has not been exposed to. Also hapkido which mostly joint breaks as well as throws

***She***

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Stingrae. :)

Check around your area, see what's close to you, drop in and watch. If it's of interest to you, what the heck, go have fun.

As for staying in shape - attack it. Positively attack it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're doing it competitively, I would check out a striking art. Don't want to get into habits/strategies that don't work under judo rules. If you're not competing/not too worried about it, go for whatever you feel like you might enjoy. But taking up a second one for the summer is definitely not a bad idea to stay in shape.

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Stingrae. :)

Check around your area, see what's close to you, drop in and watch. If it's of interest to you, what the heck, go have fun.

As for staying in shape - attack it. Positively attack it.

Thanks for the welcome! That was what I was planning on doing. One of my coaches is out of the country at the moment, but I was going to hit him up via email and see which could help my judo more, BJJ or aikido. (I believe he did a bit of aikido at one time, if not that then something else - whatever it was, he's wicked fast in standing, at least faster than if he just did judo).

BJJ could help with my groundwork, while Aikido could help with my dealing with opponents in standing, I believe. I could do both, eventually, but I don't want to start out with both and overdo it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm part of a college club that, for obvious reasons, doesn't meet over the summer and parts of winter (not to mention I live a few hundred miles away and can't drop by when enough people do decide to head over to the gym). There's not any good judo dojos in my area, I was thinking of joining another martial art while I was home to stay in shape.

Is this a good idea? Or should I just do fit-ins and exercise on my own?
I noticed there is quite a difference between people who do martial arts for fitness and those who do fitness to improve their martial arts. Id be tempted to give yourself a physical development programme over the summer so that when you return you are at another level of fitness to what you are now.

you most likely won't be able to achieve that if your training schedule consists of just doing tkd or what ever

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I noticed there is quite a difference between people who do martial arts for fitness and those who do fitness to improve their martial arts. Id be tempted to give yourself a physical development programme over the summer so that when you return you are at another level of fitness to what you are now.

you most likely won't be able to achieve that if your training shcedual consists of just doing tkd

I'm not doing martial arts for fitness, not really, but fitness would improve my keeping up in class and tournaments. I suppose I should have added that I'd be starting to exercise as well: pushups, planks, and wall sits to start. My upper body strength is terrible.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not doing martial arts for fitness, not really, but fitness would improve my keeping up in class and tournaments. I suppose I should have added that I'd be starting to exercise as well: pushups, planks, and wall sits to start. My upper body strength is terrible.
I'm suggesting using the days to really develop your fitness level , including strengh, you could double maybe even triple your strength in that time, dependent on how low your base level is., along with lots of other element, I'm not saying don't learn another art, saying don't just learn another art

OP
S

stingrae

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm suggesting using the days to really develop your fitness level , including strengh, you could double maybe even triple your strength in that time, dependent on how low your base level is., along with lots of other element, I'm not saying don't learn another art, saying don't just learn another art

Oh, I see! Sorry, I misunderstood. Would a mix of both be better than just one or the other, though? If I completely develop my fitness and don't bother with sparring in another art, I could lose some of what I have in fighting. On the other hand, if I ignore fitness outside the dojo in favor of fights, I could lose, well, fitness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I see! Sorry, I misunderstood. Would a mix of both be better than just one or the other, though? If I completely develop my fitness and don't bother with sparring in another art, I could lose some of what I have in fighting. On the other hand, if I ignore fitness outside the dojo in favor of fights, I could lose, well, fitness.
I don't see other arts helping your judo, but that's not to say they arnt benificial to you as an individual, if you want to do both do both, sorry if I'm high jacking your summer holidays, buts that's what i would do of I suddenly had two months to kill.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The sparring in another art will force you to focus on on aspects you miss doing only one art. For Judo TJD. I have no idea what they would be.

Normally I reference boxing and wrestling. So I will do that here.

In boxing you can't really spar 100% because you will get your head punched off. In wrestling you can. So you can simulate the energy use of a full contact boxing fight by wrestling. That you actually can't really do with boxing.

If you did the TKD or whatever there will be somewhere minor aspects of you Judo game that are major aspects of TKD. And you will be forced to employ them.

Otherwise if you just train fitness motivation may become an issue. If you TKD and are blown 30 seconds in to sparring,because kicks and you are not used to the energy levels. You are going to look like crap. Then you are more likley to want to fitness up.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget about your flexibility over the summer. It's easy to forget if you are focusing on strength over the summer.

Latest Discussions