kata?

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
X-block: really depends on the context. There are "X-blocks" performed at both head height and at groin height. It can be interpreted as a flinch response that leads onto a control... Or as a shoulder pin followed by a punch to the back of the head or as a choke.. As I said it depends on the context.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2. A left side kick followed by a right palm chop to the neck. This combo is used when your opponent uses his right arm to block your left side kick to your left, you then borrow his force, spin to your left, and throw right palm strike on his neck.
I am not sure to which form you refer, ...
It's in the form "little 5 hands".

The whole point of Motobu's is that the kata are designed to teach applications and strategies for dealing with civilian violence not duelling or martial competition.
Here is another example of the praying mantis 8 moves combo.

1. right arm contact your opponent's right arm.
2. left hand contact his right elbow.
3. right palm strike on his face.
4. left arm block his block.
5. right palm strike on his face.
6. right hand pull down his block.
7. left hand take over.
8. right hand strike on his face.

It's easy to see that when the form creator created this form, he did not assume that he would use it to deal with non-MA person. The 8 moves combo include

- attack through the right side door. if fail
- attack through the left side door, if fail
- attack through the front door.

In other words, when you make your 1st move, you try to predict 8 moves ahead.

Last edited:

lyn

White Belt
Reaction score
I wish all students were taught to use kata while visualizing an attack. I know that some are taught the kata (at least initially) as rote movement, without understanding the attacks they are supposed to work against. I think this is visible in some kata demonstrations.
We were taught the moves initially. When we had an idea of how to put them together, we were told what the attacks were, the better to visualize them.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We were taught the moves initially. When we had an idea of how to put them together, we were told what the attacks were, the better to visualize them.
Surely it makes more sense to do it the other way around, to learn what the individual techniques are supposed to achieve first, before putting them into combos with other techniques?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by a "X block". They aren't in the system I practice so I don't know. Not that it has much bearing on this discussion. My point is that every move you do should have a purpose, and you should be aware of that purpose when performing your katas. In addition to this, your instructor should tell you what each technique can be used for, so that you can apply it in a fight more effectively. That is how I see it anyway.
The point he is making is that many people have different views of the purpose of the x block. Which one do you teach your student, are you doing a disservice to them if you only know 5 of the 6 ways it could be taught, and would it be too much information for (primarily newer) students to have to memorize all of the different uses?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The point he is making is that many people have different views of the purpose of the x block. Which one do you teach your student, are you doing a disservice to them if you only know 5 of the 6 ways it could be taught, and would it be too much information for (primarily newer) students to have to memorize all of the different uses?

I see the point he's making, and while you can easily overload a new student with information when it comes to the techniques, they should still have a purpose that the student is aware of. This allows them to better visualise the technique when used against an opponent. Different styles have their own ways of doing the different techniques, but no matter what the style is, you should always have an idea of what you are trying to hit or block with each technique. For example, in the style I practice we do lower palm strikes aimed at the floating ribs, and from there can grab the flesh of our opponent and grip and tear. You can't do this effectively if your fingers are pointing up, which is what I had been doing before I started training with my current instructor. Once he explained what we use the technique for, it was instantly clear to me that I had been doing it wrong previously, and so corrected it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to learn what the individual techniques are supposed to achieve first, before putting them into combos with other techniques?
Agree! The proper training sequence should be:

1. single technique.
2. counters to that technique.
3. counters to those counters (combo).
4. ...

That single technique is like the tree trunk of a tree. Your opponent's counters will force your technique to change into different technique. The branch will come out of that trunk. The tree then grow from there.

CMA_tree.jpg

lyn

White Belt
Reaction score
Surely it makes more sense to do it the other way around, to learn what the individual techniques are supposed to achieve first, before putting them into combos with other techniques?
We were taught katas as well as individual techniques. When we were taught the katas, we were taught the moves 1st and then what the attack was we were defending against so we could visualize it as we were refining the kata. When taught individual techniques, we were also told what the attack was at the time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only if you're silly enough to think that any single technique or movement only has one use.
Or that the purpose of forms is only to teach techniques.

Both of those viewpoints are far too simplistic.

Every movement has more than one application.
Forms are used to teach balance, movement, power generation, breathing, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would require the instructor to agree with your conception of the role & purpose of kata. It should be obvious by now, in this thread alone, that broad agreement, never mind universal agreement, on the role & purpose of kata is, um..., "remarkably unlikely." I hate to say "never," but... well... never.

It would also require the instructor to agree with you on what exactly the purpose of each movement is. Good luck with that. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Oh, he needn't agree with me on the purpose of the movement. I'd be happy if he simply taught any purpose. Movement without purpose seems counter-productive in martial arts training, unless you are simply training for body development or a meditative state (which are both, IMO, fully acceptable and positive purposes for MA study).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two basic approaches (not a black-and-white division, but ends of a continuum):
- teach individual techniques, then combine them
- teach series of movements, then teach applications to them/techniques from them

Both can be effective. Both can be ineffective.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see this with some very basic movements, but I would find it counter-productive to teach entire sequences without teaching some intent. There are small adjustments and tweaks that a student will quickly make when they know something is a block (versus a strike), for instance, and I'd rather they learn those early rather than developing a habit that doesn't match the need.

That said, there are probably others who've had success doing the opposite.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, he needn't agree with me on the purpose of the movement. I'd be happy if he simply taught any purpose. Movement without purpose seems counter-productive in martial arts training, unless you are simply training for body development or a meditative state (which are both, IMO, fully acceptable and positive purposes for MA study).
What about muscle memory purposes, while they are using other methods to learn similar techniques to what is taught in kata, then later learn how the kata relates? This is how both Cerio and Villari kenpo teach kata (along with using it both as a workout and/or cooldown, and as a way to calm or raise the heart, depending on the form in question).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about muscle memory purposes, while they are using other methods to learn similar techniques to what is taught in kata, then later learn how the kata relates? This is how both Cerio and Villari kenpo teach kata (along with using it both as a workout and/or cooldown, and as a way to calm or raise the heart, depending on the form in question).
This is why I referred to the different muscle involvement. If I'm training someone's muscle memory, it doesn't help them if I let them practice improper intent, as that usually involves different muscles (or at least different usage of the muscles) than the desired intent. Now, it's not actually necessary that they know the intent in order to do the right movements, but it's often easier to get them do use the right muscles if they are thinking of the right kind of force. There are some exercises that train the right movements and muscle involvements through a different intent, and those are just as useful. Here's the example I use: if I have a student who did Tae-bo for 10 years, I may have a hard time training them to good kicks, because they've learned a similar motion, but with all the wrong muscle involvement (many of the kicks in Tae-bo are too focused on speed and retraction, so no power in them, and no balance when hitting a target). On the other hand, if I have a student whose prior instructor had them standing for a few hours kicking in front of a mirror WITH PROPER INTENT AND FORM (correct muscles, proper balance for the strike, etc.), I can probably get them to kicking with some power fairly quickly.

Mind you, in some cases it may be easier to get someone to move right if they DON'T know the intent. We've all had students (or worked with them) whose "natural" movements were unusual, and who had to learn an entirely new habit in order to do some of the "easy" techniques. I have a student right now who has trouble with rolls. I have him (an adult) imitating an orangutan (including the noises), and his rolls are much better.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's usually best to start them with one. Once they have some competency there, you can add more. This is true of all techniques, and can either be over a period of a few classes, or over a period of a few years.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I referred to the different muscle involvement. If I'm training someone's muscle memory, it doesn't help them if I let them practice improper intent, as that usually involves different muscles (or at least different usage of the muscles) than the desired intent. Now, it's not actually necessary that they know the intent in order to do the right movements, but it's often easier to get them do use the right muscles if they are thinking of the right kind of force. There are some exercises that train the right movements and muscle involvements through a different intent, and those are just as useful. Here's the example I use: if I have a student who did Tae-bo for 10 years, I may have a hard time training them to good kicks, because they've learned a similar motion, but with all the wrong muscle involvement (many of the kicks in Tae-bo are too focused on speed and retraction, so no power in them, and no balance when hitting a target). On the other hand, if I have a student whose prior instructor had them standing for a few hours kicking in front of a mirror WITH PROPER INTENT AND FORM (correct muscles, proper balance for the strike, etc.), I can probably get them to kicking with some power fairly quickly.

Mind you, in some cases it may be easier to get someone to move right if they DON'T know the intent. We've all had students (or worked with them) whose "natural" movements were unusual, and who had to learn an entirely new habit in order to do some of the "easy" techniques. I have a student right now who has trouble with rolls. I have him (an adult) imitating an orangutan (including the noises), and his rolls are much better.
So to clarify (for Villari more then Cerio): We learn the intent first, outside the kata (the first form is generally not started for the first couple of months). You learn the basics through those, and then learn the form. The primary way to learn intent is through combinations which are essentially broken up parts of kata that are learned. After a couple ranks, you learn the first pinon, which is used to teach body mechanics, meditative purposes, and muscle memory of the body mechanics. However, bunkai is not taught during this time, as the focus of bunkai is on the combinations for a very long time. After you learn the form and are doing it to a competent level (whatever the instructor says that is), then he starts teaching the bunkai and intent of the minute moves. This is true for both of the villari based schools I have trained (although both broke off from villari), so i am fairly certain it is how the style as a whole is supposed to teach them.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by a "X block". They aren't in the system I practice so I don't know.
This thing:
Juji-uke%20up%20hand.JPG

0.jpg

x-block-high.jpg

Not that it has much bearing on this discussion.
Sure it does.

My point is that every move you do should have a purpose, and you should be aware of that purpose when performing your katas. In addition to this, your instructor should tell you what each technique can be used for, so that you can apply it in a fight more effectively. That is how I see it anyway.
My point is that this particular example shows up in several styles of Karate and there is a LOT of disagreement over what its "purpose" is. How can you perform your kata to a purpose if no one can agree on what that purpose is?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
X-block: really depends on the context. There are "X-blocks" performed at both head height and at groin height. It can be interpreted as a flinch response that leads onto a control... Or as a shoulder pin followed by a punch to the back of the head or as a choke.. As I said it depends on the context.
Well, those are certainly possibilities, but no one can seem to agree. I've heard it suggested to be everything from a knife-block to a collar-choke.

It's hard to perform kata to a purpose when even agreement on what a simple two-handed movement is can't get general agreement.

Not that it bothers me, personally, mind you. It's just something that I've been watching for a long time. No one can seem to agree on what exactly the purpose of kata really is or what it does.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, those are certainly possibilities, but no one can seem to agree. I've heard it suggested to be everything from a knife-block to a collar-choke.

It's hard to perform kata to a purpose when even agreement on what a simple two-handed movement is can't get general agreement.

Not that it bothers me, personally, mind you. It's just something that I've been watching for a long time. No one can seem to agree on what exactly the purpose of kata really is or what it does.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
To be honest it doesn't matter if other people disagree with your own personal interpretation, just as long as the application you are visualising works for you in the context in which you apply it.

Secondly, it is not the specifics of the technique that are important, as in only using this exact technique for this exact situation, more the tactical implication that makes the application viable. For example, in pinan Yondan the situation I practice for in partner work (or visualise in solo kata) is the maintaining of downward pressure on a shoulder lock ( to keep my opponent bent over) so that I can step forward with my full body weight and execute a finishing punch to the back of the neck. The X-block technique could be replaced with a double grip on their upper arm and drop of your body weight followed by an elbow strike, but the principle remains the same.

Clearly there are some nonsense interpretations. For example in pinan Godan using a downward "X-block followed by an upward "X-block" to block a front kick and then block a straight punch (anybody trying this against someone who is attacking you with full intent will swiftly realise how impractical that interpretation is).

A clear set of principles are required to validate or qualify a viable interpretation of the bunkai. Some basic ones that remove common mistakes are:
  • The application must work at close range
  • The application should assume that the opponent is using HAPV not karate techniques
  • And the kata embusen is in reference to how you move relative to your opponent not to the direction of attack.
Then you must test it with varying degrees of compliance with a partner.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Can we at least agree with the fact that when performing a kata (just like when performing basic techniques) there should be intent and purpose behind it? Just going through the motions or doing the kata just because your instructor told you to seems like a waste of time to me. For example, take a look at this clip (skip to 5:29 in the video):

Besides the terrible technique displayed, what most of the people doing the form lack is intent. Their moves have no purpose and they are just going through the motions. What purpose does their forms have but to make them look like fools? The purpose of the kata will vary depending on who is doing it, but there should always be a purpose, otherwise why bother with it?