Favorite kata

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Favorite empty hand is Unsu. The beginning and middle parts really give you a chance to see if the fundamentals are solid. If they are, then this kata really shows well for both dexterity and power. If the fundamentals are lacking, then it looks like a LARP'er trying to imitate Musashi. :)

The hardest part was nailing the jumping spinning double kick. It wasn't a matter of leg technique, but rather, forcing the upper body to relax just before the jump, that helped fix things.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sanchin: it's the beginning and end to all goju practice.

I do practice Rohai frequently even though it's not a goju form.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like tayoka number three from universal kempo because it has a running punch in it. When well executed, it is awesome.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD sub-BB level: Yool Guk
TKD BB level: Gae Bek
Shaolin Kenpo sub BB level: Iron Fan
EPAK sub BB level: Long 3
EPAK BB level: Long 4
Karate: Kankudai or Bassai Dai

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
newguy12, you should check out heian nidan or pyong ahn ee dan for a look at the form that General Choi reshuffled when he created Won-Hyo. I prefer the older form myself.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats always a neat trick, getting the Korean guys to admit that Gen Choi lifted whole SECTIONS out of the shotokan forms when he created the original ITF forms.

Emanuelle

White Belt
Reaction score
My favourite kata would be Bassai Dai, and my favourite poomsae would be Taegeuk Chil Jang (#7). I don't know why, but they both just feel right.

Oh and I also love Kanku Dai! :D

Latest Discussions