Favorite kata

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think it's 'boxing form', which was from bill packer's system of kenpo (akka via traco via tracy). i like the stance shifts and the....well, the feel of doing it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had to go with Kata it would be Bassia, if we are talking poomsae it would be tae guek 5.
Well that is my story and I'm sticking to it

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt, it's the IKCA Master Form. It's a 58 (if you include the Yellow Stripe & Yellow Belt sections it's actually 68) man mass attack done in one fluid set. Love it! :)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgot the traditional style form - non-traditional part is the Master Form from the IKCA.

Traditional form - I think I'd probably have to go with Kanku Dai or Patsai Sho.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a Taekwondo practitioner, so in our 3 different flavors of WTF sanctioned poomse (aka, kata for Japanese style practitioners), my favorite forms are:

Tae Geuk: Sam Jang, 3rd form
Pal Gwe: Pal Jang, 8th form
Black: Tae Bak, 3rd form, although Koryo, the 1st BB form is also pretty cool too, and a hard workout if one performs it correctly and with conviction.

TKD and the MAs, great stuff... :asian:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the moment I guess I have a fondness for Pinan Yondan. The movements of this kata feel very natural to me.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm also a Korean stylist. My favorite poomsea is the ITF black belt form Yu Shin.

I also like the ITF black belt form Chung Moo a lot.

If modified to allow head-hick sidekicks at the beginning of the form, I also like Koryo a lot.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the pinion 2 form I learned from Prof: Ingargiola in C.T. over 2 years ago. It is not 2 pinion in the shaolin sets. It was shown to him by Prof. Kimo... I have added this form to my Dojo and teach it at Brown belt...
thanks,
steve

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment I guess I have a fondness for Pinan Yondan. The movements of this kata feel very natural to me.

Is that the Shotokan version or the Wado Ryu one? I enjoy doing most of the Wado ones probably Kushanku best though.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that the Shotokan version or the Wado Ryu one? I enjoy doing most of the Wado ones probably Kushanku best though.
The Wado version. Yep, looking forward to getting instruction in Kushanku myself.:)

I also very much enjoyed doing the first kenjutsu kata (Ikkajo - Itsutsu no tachi) of Katori Shinto Ryu. Especcially since they are done against an uke.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wado version. Yep, looking forward to getting instruction in Kushanku myself.:)

I also very much enjoyed doing the first kenjutsu kata (Ikkajo - Itsutsu no tachi) of Katori Shinto Ryu. Especcially since they are done against an uke.

Wayhey for Wado! Kushanku can be confusing because if you get distracted even for a second you can go off into one of the other katas it seems to be made of! I think that's why it's so satisfying to do. The most satisfying kata for me ever was my very first one Pinan Nidan, I'd watched people doing kata and thought no way could I do that and it seemed strange to do, having never done kata before but oh the joy in passing my first grading with that in it! I still do it despite now doing another style Tang Soo Do. I have to say the patterns in that seem easier and less satisfying after the Wado ones, perhaps it's just me.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... I like Pal Sek, because right now it's a little challenging for me to learn at the moment. There's a bunch of different moves, some of which is in fact in other forms I've learned, and some are quite new. Plenty of twists and turns I'm not expecting, and the more advanced brown and black belts kind of just "blast" through it like it's nothing when we're lined up together... I also like Chulgi 1, which is another one the advanced brown and black like to "blast" through, but I have the speed for that one now.

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So far it's Heian Godan(except for the jump) and Tjimandjet...
I understand about the jump. Some of us are not as young as others. I found it intimidating when I watched the higher belts do it, but I picked it up fairly well when my time came. The jump in empi is my new worry. I really enjoy bassai dai and heian sandan.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had my first lesson in Chinto yesterday. Awesome stuff. I can see why many like this one.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yang Tai Chi Form Simplified. I like it even better than the traditional Long Form. For the hard style arts it would be a toss-up between the ITF Chon-Ji forms and the JKA styel Heian forms.

Master Panto

White Belt
Reaction score
Gud day!
Im teaching arnis & we practice the Sayaw Form Kata..its different from the other since it originates personally here in Philippines & I myself do personally make an addition to it to make it more unique and presentable..Try to find out the beauty of Kata in arnis.
Master Panto

Latest Discussions