Karma hits hard

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Last night at the dojang, I felt my previous flexibility coming back into my legs after two months of cross country. This of course stimulated my pride. Today, I learned a very hard lesson about being too proud. I have a business computers class that's split in half by lunch. So we get 22 minutes of class, lunch break, then another 22 minutes. During the beginning of the second half, while waiting for the teacher to come back, I asked a student to see how high I was kicking, and did a front snap kick. They held their hand up to about the level, and my ego was pumped up. Then one of the girls in my class said she could kick higher, and did so. We exchanged a few friendly challenges when the teacher walked in. I asked her to judge, she agreed, and I went to do a full force front kick.

I said I learned a hard lesson... and let me tell you, school carpet is NOT soft! My right foot went up, and my left foot decided it wanted in on the fun. Next thing I knew, I was on my back. Broke the fall with my arm and was ok, just a bit of carpet burn. The entire class was laughing, the teacher was laughing, and even I was laughing. The teacher made sure I was ok, then she said "Thank you, that's the funniest damn thing I've seen in 28 years!"

So remember folks, pride isn't worth it, and carpets aren't very nice to land on :p.

newy085

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And I was laughing. Funny story, and it goes without saying - "Better keep your mouth shut and let people think your a fool, then open it and remove all doubt".

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had that happen in a belt test. Had to do an axe kick and in getting my leg up high enough for the kick, I yanked my olant foor right out from under me and fell flat on my back...knocked the wind out of myself. I'm told it was funny as hell to see....ego's still brusied from that one though. :)

Peace,
Erik

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sam,

I see you are in Tang Soo Do. I suspect you are still in school (high school?)

Words of wisdumb. Yes dumb. I've made plenty of mistakes to in my life and anyone who has never made mistakes probably never has done anything. What you did is common and human.

Never ever show off. Be it karate, gymnastics, motorcycles, cars, skateboards, or just anything unless you are a past master. And even then, show off only the easy stuff. Especially in front of girls!

And never demonstrate the things you can just barely do!!

Oh, and about falling while doing a kick. I've done side kicks and pulled my leg out from under me to! It happens. And that is why, again, never show off!

Deaf

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. Back in the day when a buddy of mine and i were taking taekwondo with Master Choi, we witnessed Master Choi himself slipping on a kick and hitting the mat. Being silly adolecents, my friend starting, we had trouble keeping in the laughter. But Master Choi is still awesome with excellent kicks. I guess it's always a risk to push ones limits. But it's important to push it as well sometimes.

j

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never ever show off. Be it karate, gymnastics, motorcycles, cars, skateboards, or just anything unless you are a past master. And even then, show off only the easy stuff. Especially in front of girls!
You mean like the day I showed a new mountain biker how to hop a curb... and my timing was just a hair off... leading to a beautiful endo & face plant.

:ultracool:uhohh::duh::eek: