Thai-Jitsu (A new martial art)?

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was recently browsing the net and found several MMA school instructor claiming to have 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. degree black belts in something called "Thai-Jitsu". Though I practice muay thai (mixed with TKD), I find this idea absolutely stupid.

More than that, I am so tired of the MMA bandwagon. It's funny how the MMA crowd dogs traditional arts for being McDojos, yet I have seen tons of examples of questionalble programs in MMA as well. Check out
"Kid-Jitsu" for a laugh.

As things change and meatheads flood the market, the old traditional, quiet dojang doesn't look all that bad.

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There'll be McDojo comments from every style, and there are McDojos IN every style. I'd venture to say that the amount of popularity that MMA has recieved has caused an influx of them to feed on the people who think that BJJ or the like is nothing more than something that's cool to watch or use on friends.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
New to me. Sounds like someone combined Muay Thai and BJJ and thought they'd stumbled upon something completely new. I wonder if there's a GM of Thai Jitsu and what rank they hold in the individual arts.

As far as MMA people dogging traditional arts, I think the more level-headed ones realize that there's definitely a lot of value in TMAs in the ring if you have a good instructor and spar regularly. Just look at someone like Cung Le, whose background is in TKD. Honestly, I think in some ways there's even more opportunity for an MMA program to fall under the McDojo label, since it could so easily end up just being watered down Muay Thai/BJJ.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of Thai-Jitsu before...but I've never actually seen it. I don't recall where I hear the term, but it's not something I've never heard of before. I think, like stated before, that it's a mixture between Muay-Thai and BJJ.

That being said, it's probably effective, but don't expect to see all new material in that martial art. If it is just a combination of the 2 arts, it woudl be effective in that it combines grappling and striking into one art, and I would imagine that both sections are studied equally.

Now, not to derail the thread...and we may want to start another one on this, if it already hasn't been done...I have witnessed a dojo that teaches MMA based on the "fad" factor. It's not a traditional grappling school.

Also, I think alot of the new-school MMA'ists bash TMA's because of the way that they're trained. They come into MMA with the mindset that they're training specifically to fight, whereas most of the old-school MMAists and TMAists alike train to defend themselves.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thai-Jitsu. Well first you toss a bowl of hot curry at the bad guy, then if that doesn't work you do stickwork with the chicken satay....er...wait. Maybe that's Thai-Food-Jitsu. :lol2:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thai-Jitsu. Well first you toss a bowl of hot curry at the bad guy, then if that doesn't work you do stickwork with the chicken satay....er...wait. Maybe that's Thai-Food-Jitsu. :lol2:

Well it would all be consider MMA and alot of food.

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as MMA people dogging traditional arts, I think the more level-headed ones realize that there's definitely a lot of value in TMAs in the ring if you have a good instructor and spar regularly. Just look at someone like Cung Le, whose background is in TKD. Honestly, I think in some ways there's even more opportunity for an MMA program to fall under the McDojo label, since it could so easily end up just being watered down Muay Thai/BJJ.

My instructor's son is a 2nd Dan in Tang Soo Do, and also teaches a Gracie certified BJJ class. He says that knowing both arts is invaluable.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was recently browsing the net and found several MMA school instructor claiming to have 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. degree black belts in something called "Thai-Jitsu". Though I practice muay thai (mixed with TKD), I find this idea absolutely stupid.

More than that, I am so tired of the MMA bandwagon. It's funny how the MMA crowd dogs traditional arts for being McDojos, yet I have seen tons of examples of questionalble programs in MMA as well. Check out
"Kid-Jitsu" for a laugh.

As things change and meatheads flood the market, the old traditional, quiet dojang doesn't look all that bad.

Thank you for your comments on the 'MMA crowd', it's always nice when someone who doesn't know you manages to condemn us all with one sweeping statement.
Firstly the only people anyone 'dogs' for being McDojos are funnily enough McDojos.
All MMA people are not the same, most of us have a TMA background and many like myself still practise a TMA as well as MMA.
When I read your post I thought oh here we go again, another MMA v TMA thread, by good sense this is the only MMA bashing post. I'm really disappointed that someone can generalise so sweepingly about other martial artist to their detriment. MMA is made up of people just the same as TMAs,some good some bad some indeifferent. to jusdge them all by one small group you don't agree with is unfair and disrespectful.
If MT people are mixing their art with BJJ, perhaps you should see if it works before deciding it's ridiculous. I don't see why it should be.
As for calling me and my fellow MMAers meatheads I find that offensive, ignorant and childish.

OP
I

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As for calling me and my fellow MMAers meatheads I find that offensive, ignorant and childish.

Hey, take a look at the vast amount of absolute bubbish that has been levied against TMA's over the last few years. With all those such insults, you've got to be kidding me if the label "meathead" ruffles your feathers.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about this. I just see many so-called MMA programs and schools popping up, that it seems like everyone want a piece of the MMA/UFC pie (so to speak).

By the way, in learning muay thai, I did attend two MMA schools. For me, I saw many people who really wanted to learn how to fight. I didn't see too many people who wanted to learn the philosophical/spiritual side of martial arts. You are right. My first comment was a broad generalization, my bad. I should have said that I was making my opinions based on my own training experiences.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, take a look at the vast amount of absolute bubbish that has been levied against TMA's over the last few years. With all those such insults, you've got to be kidding me if the label "meathead" ruffles your feathers.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about this. I just see many so-called MMA programs and schools popping up, that it seems like everyone want a piece of the MMA/UFC pie (so to speak).

By the way, in learning muay thai, I did attend two MMA schools. For me, I saw many people who really wanted to learn how to fight. I didn't see too many people who wanted to learn the philosophical/spiritual side of martial arts. You are right. My first comment was a broad generalization, my bad. I should have said that I was making my opinions based on my own training experiences.

Actually, there has been no "vast amount of rubbish levied against TMAs" where I live. Nor has there ever been that on MT. I have however seen various styles rubbish each other, I've seen same styles rubbish each other.
I don't know any MMA 'schools' I do however know of every club in my country that teaches MMA and they are good guys.
Not everyone wants to learn the philosophical/spiritual side of martial arts, many people have their own spiritual beliefs and simply don't want to practise another. Here we have a fighter who is an ordained vicar.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...more-than-most-about-biblebashing-403112.html
Is that spiritual enough for you? Read on and you will see what he says about the camaraderie of MMA.
Meatheads? yes that is offensive because clearly you have very little idea what you are talking about. The only comments I have heard recently from MMA people was about the poor judging in the Olympic TKD where two British fighters were penalised wrongly and a Cuban attacked a referee. Most of the people I know who do MMA have come from a TMA background, many from TKD. They don't badmouth TMAs, just because you knew some who do don't tar us all with the same brush.

http://neilgrove.proelite.com/

Neil is a typical MMA fighter here, he's a blackbelt karate, his kata is as good as his fighting ( yes I've seen it), he's big but no meathead, trust me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to this site it's Thai-Ju-Jitsu and the name came from Rickson Gracie.
http://www.thaijujitsu.com/

The website may be slick to get the students in but there's no reason whatso ever to think MT and BJJ can't be taught together.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ok, now I'm just hungry!

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only time I've ever heard the word was in the kids show "Naruto" where I believe Tai-jutsu was described as the fighting style not using the fantastic "Chakra" of world in the show. Basically, normal hand to hand fighting skills.

Thai-ju-jitsu has been talked about as a combination of Muay Thai Boxing and Jujitsu. People seem to be quick to try to come up with a way to create a "new" style.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I've ever heard the word was in the kids show "Naruto" where I believe Tai-jutsu was described as the fighting style not using the fantastic "Chakra" of world in the show. Basically, normal hand to hand fighting skills.

Thai-ju-jitsu has been talked about as a combination of Muay Thai Boxing and Jujitsu. People seem to be quick to try to come up with a way to create a "new" style.

On the site I posted up they teach MT and BJJ separately not as a new style.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On the site I posted up they teach MT and BJJ separately not as a new style.

Sorry, was lazy and didn't actually read all the responses to the original poster, was just adding my 2 cents.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"Kid-Jitsu" for a laugh.

I'm not even going to comment on the MMA bash aside from to say that it was unnecessary. And I'm a TMA practitioner, lest you think my feathers are ruffled by it. I'm also hesitant to dismiss an art that I am unfamiliar with without at least seeing it live and in person.

Anyway, I'd be willing to bet that Thai-jutsu is Taijutsu/Taijisu. If it is, then this isn't some new art invented by a McDojo owner looking to enhance his or her reputation.

Taijitsu/taijutsu is similar to hapkido: it has strikes, blocks, and kicks but is fairly heavy on grapples and throws. There is a taijutsu school around the corner from me and I know quite a few people who go there. They have the typical kiddie program that most places do, but the regular class and the advanced class are no joke and the master there is no fake. Here's the link, though I don't know that the word, "Taijutsu," is actually used in the literature. The school just says, "Karate," on the awning. I only know that they teach taijutsu because I know some of the students and instructional staff personally.

http://www.academyofmartialarts.net/default.aspx

Taijutsu isn't an MMA, well, no more so than hapkido is.

If this Thai-jitsu is the same as Thai jujitsu that came from Rickson Gracie, then I doubt that its McDojo commercial stuff.

Do you have a link or links so any of the schools who's websites you refer to?

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to get any answers now as the OPs account is closed. Oh well.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure that there were any answers to be had; sounds like he saw something he'd never heard of being taught somewhere along side other arts and kicked off on a rant before he ever looked into it further.

In any case, I find it annoying when people bemoan the bashing TMA has taken from MMA and then turn around and bash MMA.

Personally, I have seen some of what he referred to, but I've also seen it go equally in the other direction, most often from McDojo style TMA practitioners.

Daniel

Latest Discussions