Karate Kata's

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Master Adams.

Kurotora, Nipaipo, Anan are some of my favorites.... very complex, bunkai oyo is understandbly complex, beautiful, artistic, easy to see the "chinese connection" henka waza are also excellent...

Kata are still the secrets...... because most instructors know a fixed number and don't want to teach everything they know....

remember: "Sensei teaches you everything you know, NOT everything he knows..."

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel a kinship with our Shudokan brothren, the style that I practice comes from the Koei kan karate do in Japan, Onishi Hanshi was a student of Toyama Kanken Hanshi. So for the most part the kata that we learn comes from the same source.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite kata in the style of karate I study was learned by my teacher from Koei kan founder Onishi Hanshi in Japan in the early 50's. And he still teaches the kata in its original form, Koryugoju yonpo, (old style gojushiho). Oh yeah I just relearned Unsu, wow, that kata is hard.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have recently been studying Saifa, it has a lot of interesting elements and bunkai,and oyo applications.
The fascinating thing that I have found is that even the more basic kata like the pinan kata have loads of hidden applications that I had not realized before. Until recently I had not realized all of the hidden applications in the Naihanchi kata series.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have recently been studying Saifa, it has a lot of interesting elements and bunkai,and oyo applications.
The fascinating thing that I have found is that even the more basic kata like the pinan kata have loads of hidden applications that I had not realized before. Until recently I had not realized all of the hidden applications in the Naihanchi kata series.
I've almost come to believe the pinan series alone could provide a lifetime of study and teaching, as they continue to reveal 'hidden', or less obvious--but no less powerful--applications.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the forms i like outside of my style are the naihanchi shodan for its principles of power genration and diverse techniques in simple movements and the Chen taiji laoji (sp???!!) form b/c it expressive beuaty and power to a sublime level, and Prof Kimo's lohan form whicxh i have only seen about 4 times.

In my style shotungkwa is my favorite b/c for my understanding it expresses Fred Villari kempo best, honsuki, and five dragons face the four windsand statue of the crane (the skk version of Rohai). Then again i am still learning great stuff from 1 pinan!!!
Respectfully,
Marlon

old sensei

White Belt
Reaction score
My favorites are Heian Godan and Tekki Sandan, though I really like the flow of Gankaku. Old style Shotokan stylist.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Within our style's curriculum, I'd say the Kyuk Chae hyung series with nehbojin chodan.

Outside, I enjoy Jang Jin and the Hyung Nae Ryu Pa.

Latest Discussions