Karate Kata's

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are your favorite Kata's from your style of Karate and what are some of your favorite outside your particular style?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
From the kata's we do I like; Jion, Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho, Meikyo, and Wankan.

I don't have alot of experience with karate kata outside of the ASKF so I can't comment on your second question Terry.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Short 3! has a nice flow
EPAK
And like Jai no comment on your last. I don't have much experience on any other karate system's katas.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite kata is suparempei. Others that I like are Sochin, Seipai, and Seyunchin. I love to watch competitors do Unsu, but never learned it all the way through.

Shotokan

White Belt
Reaction score
This might sound odd but my favorite kata from my style, Shotokan, is Heian Shodan. I know that many feel it is simple and a beginners kata but when I do every move that I feel like it should be done, it just feels right. I also like Heian Yondan because of all the different movements and how powerful it feels.

I am not too familiar with other styles kata but I find Anan interesting.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
This might sound odd but my favorite kata from my style, Shotokan, is Heian Shodan. I know that many feel it is simple and a beginners kata but when I do every move that I feel like it should be done, it just feels right. I also like Heian Yondan because of all the different movements and how powerful it feels.

I am not too familiar with other styles kata but I find Anan interesting.
In KMA it is called by the okinawan name of Pinan Shodan, it has wrist locks and arm bars and throws. All of the Heian/Pinan have very good techniques in them.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Naifanchi and Pinan Godan. A bit harder to crack than Pinan 1-4 but a whole new world opens up. Don`t know Chinto very well yet but i already love the flow of movement.

Btw, Heian Shodan is Pinan Nidan, Shotokan changed the names because Pinan Shodan (Heian Nidan) is more difficult and usually taught later. I agree that the Pinans are great, the first one have enough to take you to black belt level alone if you study it in depth.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
No longer practice kata but still remember naihanshi (spelling?) from beginning to end so perhaps that says something. The fact I still use breakdowns from it in self defense probably suggests in meshed well with me

Cheers
Sam:asian:

wadokai_indonesia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Kata preferences changes with age! When I was younger I love Unsu and Suparimpei.

Nowadays, from the Wado (my own style) I like Rohai, Seishan, Bassai and Jitte. From Goju I like Gekisai, Saifa, Sanchin, Tensho. From Tai Chi I like the Yang-style Beijing 24 step forms and the Yang-style 40 step forms.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
No longer practice kata but still remember naihanshi (spelling?) from beginning to end so perhaps that says something. The fact I still use breakdowns from it in self defense probably suggests in meshed well with me

Cheers
Sam:asian:
Naihanchi/Tekki 1,2,and 3 are all good,1 teaches compression leg breaks.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What are your favorite Kata's from your style of Karate and what are some of your favorite outside your particular style?

In Shotokan, I loved Heian Nidan and Heian Sandan - they just flowed real well for me and I like the techniques used in them. In TKD, I would have to say Hwarang, but it is a virtual toss up between that form and my all-time favorite Chon Ji. I absolutely love the diverse forms in Kung Fu, but I have not been able to find a good Kwoon near my home.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love Okan and Wansu but i dont have a lot of experience outside of my style so i cant answer your second question.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like Chinto kata, and also Ananku, and Wanchu. but I also love and at the same time hate Seisan kata. ( that is one of our first kata as well.)

style is Shobayashi Shorin Ryu.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as Shorin Ryu kata these are my favorites for various reaons.
Naihanchi Shodan, Nidan and Sandan, Passai Sho, Passai Dai, Kusanku, Gojushiho, Chinto Anaku and Seisan. I feel these are the essentials.

Shorinji Ryu
Jion

Goju Ryu
Seiyunchin and Suparenpai

Alhern

White Belt
Reaction score
I practice Shotokan, Right now I'm a yellow belt one stripe and for me Heian Shodan has a nice flow to it. The movements make sense to me and i can see it being used in practical use.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were to break it down in level of kata it would be,
intermediate kata, (Pinan Yondan), Advanced kata (Naha te side) Suparempei and Seyunchin, (Shuri te side), Sochin and Kusanku(kanku dai and sho). Out of the Shorin ryu kata I really like Rohai and Chinto.
And my favorite kata to watch competitors do are Unsu and Anan.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Favorite to perform is Unsu.

It's not really the 540 degree jump + double kick that's the hardest part; it's just that any fundamental mistakes you make in the rest of the kata are going to be glaringly obvious when you are performing it. People with "flopping" arms are going to have a hard time pulling off the four consecutive reverse punches, with any measure of cleanliness, and people with weak stances are going to wobble during the first three neko ashi dachi positions of the kata, especially when advancing forward.

Still, it's a very fun kata to learn, if your knees are relatively intact, and by forcing yourself to sharpen up your fundamentals, all of your other kata are going to get better.

I'm going to be using Unsu as my primary kata this July at the USA-NKF nationals, with Kusanku Sho as the backup, in the tokui division.

Latest Discussions