Kajukenbo schools with the advertisement "MMA?"

CobraUSA

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to the family members of the Kajukenbo Ohana. I am potentially a new prospective student.
I have been investigating and researching schools around the San Diego, California area and came across one called the "Dragons Den MMA" in Union City.
The school is under Sigung Jeff Macalolooy. My only question [as of right now] is: are schools teaching Kajukenbo that advertise the abbreviated "MMA" noteworthy Kajukenbo schools, if an individual is looking strictly for Kajukenbo self-defense? I'm trying to avoid "MMA" and pursue strictly Kajukenbo stand-alone, for now.
I understand that Kajukenbo, in it's origin, is a stand-alone hybrid Kenpo/Kempo system, teaching techniques derived from several martial arts systems. However, does this make it "MMA," and is this school, "Dragons Den MMA" correctly named as a school that teaches standalone Kajukenbo?

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to the family members of the Kajukenbo Ohana. I am potentially a new prospective student.
I have been investigating and researching schools around the San Diego, California area and came across one called the "Dragons Den MMA" in Union City.
The school is under Sigung Jeff Macalolooy. My only question [as of right now] is: are schools teaching Kajukenbo that advertise the abbreviated "MMA" noteworthy Kajukenbo schools, if an individual is looking strictly for Kajukenbo self-defense? I'm trying to avoid "MMA" and pursue strictly Kajukenbo stand-alone, for now.
I understand that Kajukenbo, in it's origin, is a stand-alone hybrid Kenpo/Kempo system, teaching techniques derived from several martial arts systems. However, does this make it "MMA," and is this school, "Dragons Den MMA" correctly named as a school that teaches standalone Kajukenbo?

Very good questions. Your research has provided you--what I believe, anyway--with one of the best possible choices of martial arts experiences and training. Dragon's Den is leading the way in Kajukenbo academies. Not only do you get the sporting aspect of MMA through top-notch training and innovation, but you also get the real-deal Kajukenbo component. Remember, Sigung Macalolooy came up through the ranks in Kajukenbo before there was "MMA" as we know it. So to answer your question ... YES; Dragon's Den MMA is correctly named, in my opinion. You get real, authentic Kajukenbo if that's what you're looking for. You get cutting edge MMA --if that's what you're looking for. You get the total experience.

Other examples of Kajukenbo mixed martial arts academies include Oakdale Mixed Martial Arts Academy as well as Gelinas Academy of Mixed Martial Arts. There are plenty more, but these are the schools that come to mind. Again, all offering the total experience.

Sorry if this sounds like a slick marketing campaign. It's not. I believe in what these folks are doing. And they do it well.

Good luck in your search.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of Kajukenbo has always been taught as a MMA. But it depends on your definition. Kajukenbo is primarily a "self defense" oriented MMA, blending the martial arts in the system so the practitioner is better able to fight in all ranges.
Many Kajukenbo schools also train for sport MMA, and have fighters who compete in MMA competitions. Jeff Macalolooy's school is one of those. Jeff and his brother Jon also have extensive training in western style grappling and boxing, and Jeff is a wrestling coach at the school he teaches at. Jeff has a excellent reputation in the Kajukenbo community.
As to schools in the San Diego area, the Dragons Den is about 500 miles from San Diego. You may have found some old references to a school in San Diego. Jon was teaching in San Diego when he was attending San Diego State U. But he's finished college, and is back in the bay area.

OP
C

CobraUSA

White Belt
Reaction score
Most of Kajukenbo has always been taught as a MMA. But it depends on your definition. Kajukenbo is primarily a "self defense" oriented MMA, blending the martial arts in the system so the practitioner is better able to fight in all ranges.
Many Kajukenbo schools also train for sport MMA, and have fighters who compete in MMA competitions. Jeff Macalolooy's school is one of those. Jeff and his brother Jon also have extensive training in western style grappling and boxing, and Jeff is a wrestling coach at the school he teaches at. Jeff has a excellent reputation in the Kajukenbo community.
As to schools in the San Diego area, the Dragons Den is about 500 miles from San Diego. You may have found some old references to a school in San Diego. Jon was teaching in San Diego when he was attending San Diego State U. But he's finished college, and is back in the bay area.

Oh, well that is a bummer!
Thanks for replying Professor Bishop. Your response now leads me to searching for a new Kajukenbo school in the San Diego area! I would truly appreciate it if someone could direct me to a Kajukenbo school in this area! Thanks again, as always.

Respectfully,
CobraUSA

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
doesnt GM Greg Harper also do traditional kaju AND sport MMA training is the students desire that sort of training?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, well that is a bummer!
Thanks for replying Professor Bishop. Your response now leads me to searching for a new Kajukenbo school in the San Diego area! I would truly appreciate it if someone could direct me to a Kajukenbo school in this area! Thanks again, as always.

Respectfully,
CobraUSA

There are several schools in San Diego County. Depends on what part of San Diego your in. Here's a few good instructors I know pretty well.

Kajukenbo International
Chief Instructor:Sifu Phil Dang 5th degree/Sifu Remy Dang 5th degree
Hourglass Recreation Center
San Diego, CA 92126 USA
(619) 840-6964

Leeward Kenpo Karate-Trinity Christian Martial Arts
Chief Instructor:Sifu Brian Henderson (5th Degree) Sifu Ray Blake (3rd Degree)
Asst. Instructors:Sifu Nelson, Sifu Gregg and Sibak Nathan
San Diego, CA 92114 USA
Phone #:(619) 977-1613

Rancho Bernardo Glassman Rec. Center
Sifu Ronnie Isaguirre
18448 West Bernardo Drive
San Diego, CA 92127
(858) 538-8129
http://kick411.info/Home_Page.php

Canyonside Community Park
Sifu Rex Cabanas
12350 Black Mountain Rd.