Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beat me to it. Although ive seen the brown numbers go both ascending and descending
Honestly I could be wrong I always get them mixed up lol. First I used to think it went the same order as black belts (1st 2nd 3rd etc) but then I saw it the opposite way and then I just always got mixed up. I was happier as a second brown because then I knew exactly which one to call myself haha

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You comment is interesting on getting pissed about the orgs. I'm a leader, not a follower.:bookworm:
This is where my brand of leadership comes in. Independent study. Then cross reference that against the various instructors @ the particular dojo, dojos and schools all over town.:bookworm:

P.S. Of course interest resources too. Like this wonderful forum.:smuggrin:
Who are you leading? Other than yourself, of course.

So if I have this right, you “research” stuff, practice it, then either ask local guys if you’re doing it right and/or (paraphrasing a previous statement) beat all the students and instructors at the local dojos?

Just as a heads up, every so often I spar with kids. They’re too old for the kids’ class, but they’re not really adults either. While I don’t make it obvious to them, I let them “beat” me most of the time. I’ll push them to close to the limits of their abilities, but I certainly don’t block and counter everything they throw at me. Not even close. I don’t drop them. Same for adults who are below my level and/or rank.

If you’re actually going there and actually “winning,” do you think maybe it’s a case of them doing this to you as well? If what you’re claiming is true, I’d be highly suspicious of it. Just saying. Feel free to come back with what you think is a great comment that has a lot of words, yet actually says nothing at all.

I see parallels to Isiah here - “researching and cross referencing” stuff from YouTube, then getting his buddies to play along, including but not limited to shooting nerf darts at him.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

So if I have this right, you “research” stuff, practice it, then either ask local guys if you’re doing it right and/or (paraphrasing a previous statement) beat all the students and instructors at the local dojos?

Just as a heads up, every so often I spar with kids. They’re too old for the kids’ class, but they’re not really adults either. While I don’t make it obvious to them, I let them “beat” me most of the time. I’ll push them to close to the limits of their abilities, but I certainly don’t block and counter everything they throw at me. Not even close. I don’t drop them. Same for adults who are below my level and/or rank.

If you’re actually going there and actually “winning,” do you think maybe it’s a case of them doing this to you as well? If what you’re claiming is true, I’d be highly suspicious of it. Just saying. Feel free to come back with what you think is a great comment that has a lot of words, yet actually says nothing at all.

I see parallels to Isiah here - “researching and cross referencing” stuff from YouTube, then getting his buddies to play along, including but not limited to shooting nerf darts at him.
Getting my popcorn ready. This replies going to be good

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I could be wrong I always get them mixed up lol. First I used to think it went the same order as black belts (1st 2nd 3rd etc) but then I saw it the opposite way and then I just always got mixed up. I was happier as a second brown because then I knew exactly which one to call myself haha
I had that exact same confusion haha. I switched dojos at 16 or so, at the time I was a brown 3rd (closest to black). The school I went to had brown 3 as the first of the brown belts, so they assumed that was my rank. Caused a lot of confusion the first few weeks that I was there, before we figured out what was going on.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My suspicion is that the brown belts were originally being counted as part of the kyu ranks, which they are, and are counted backwards, before hitting the dan ranks which are counted forward with “dan” often translated into “degree.”.

So, third kyu is the first brown rank, second kyu is the second brown rank, and first kyu is the third brown rank. I suspect that then got kind of jumbled in translation and turned into third degree brown, second degree brown, first degree brown. But “kyu” should not have been translated into “degree.” A more accurate presentation would have been to say “third kyu-brown belt” followed by “second kyu-brown belt”, followed by “first kyu-brown belt.”

This is what I suspect happened.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
5th Kyu

The order of our belts is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, black.
Similar to ours.. except instead of purple we have blue. and we have 4 white belt grades, and 2 grades of brown.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm leading you for one. However you are right on one score, leading a blank account doesn't go for much.:yuck:

Yeah, all my opponents are dead or in the hospital on life support.:walkingdead::walkingdead::walkingdead:

Where are you training? A puppy mill?:chicken:

Yes, with my independant study of kata, they (my opponents) suddenly all fall down. See sample vid, below.
Kiai Master vs MMA

J
Published on Jan 3, 2007

Dingle Barry
7 months ago
Kiai Master 200 wins 1 loss

This is for kids like you (or whoever created you), who remain the same immature ego no matter what the age. Gives the self important "real" martial arts on blogs lots to talk about. That's why there are so many views, just like there are so many negative comments directed at me.

Happy now?:woot:

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

What I want to know is..how do you win at no contact sparring? (Among other questions raised by that particular phraseology. Wouldn't that just be two guys shadowboxing near each other...?)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm leading you for one. However you are right on one score, leading a blank account doesn't go for much.:yuck:

Yes, with my independant study of kata, they (my opponents) suddenly all fall down. See sample vid, below.
Kiai Master vs MMA

J
Published on Jan 3, 2007

Dingle Barry
7 months ago
Kiai Master 200 wins 1 loss

This is for kids like you (or whoever created you), who remain the same immature ego no matter what the age. Gives the self important "real" martial arts on blogs lots to talk about. That's why there are so many views, just like there are so many negative comments directed at me.

Happy now?:woot:
You about said it all man.

....HADOOOKEN!

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I want to know is..how do you win at no contact sparring? (Among other questions raised by that particular phraseology. Wouldn't that just be two guys shadowboxing near each other...?)

Ha, ha, well whatever you call it, I'm handling multiple opponents here very deftly....:)

I really am beginning to feel sorry for the students training under certain of the orgs. The student now matter how much they accomplish... it's just never good enough for the 'question master's,' who ply their trade here.:yuck:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha, ha, well whatever you call it, I'm handling multiple opponents here very deftly....:)

I really am beginning to feel sorry for the students training under certain of the orgs. The student now matter how much they accomplish... it's just never good enough for the 'question master's,' who ply their trade here.:yuck:
You're absolutely right. People should just take everyone that rolls through here at their word; no matter how incredible or implausible..or incredibly implausible.

I'm with you. I've actually been training with some yellow bamboo guys and my chi levels are almost there, but I've been afraid to speak of it here for fear of being made fun of. I admire your courage to speak the truth in the face of such odds.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. People should just take everyone that rolls through here at their word; no matter how incredible or implausible..or incredibly implausible.

I'm with you. I've actually been training with some yellow bamboo guys and my chi levels are almost there, but I've been afraid to speak of it here for fear of being made fun of. I admire your courage to speak the truth in the face of such odds.

Yep, Mr. Blank account. You summarized yourself perfectly. A mouth.:smuggrin:

Latest Discussions